News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Ranks Images

Started by themegenius, July 30, 2012, 07:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themegenius

"Note to board Moderators"

If ive placed this in the wrong board please feel free to move.

Ive been messing around with photoshop CS6 getting used to it and came up with these Member and staff ranks based on the ones you get by default with a fresh installation of SMF.

The sizes are 110 X 25 and ive included the .PSD files too.

Please remember im still learning.

Shambles

Hi TG. Nice work, but is it comments you're after?

I'd say the black on dark 'blood red' is unreadable  :P

themegenius

i just wanted to share my work thats all. but comments are welcome.

Ive included the .PSD files for users which allow you to change every layer to yoour requirements.

Orangine

4kb for 110x25 image? waaaaay to big

themegenius

Quote from: Orangine on July 31, 2012, 06:52:38 AM
4kb for 110x25 image? waaaaay to big

how big should it be. like i said it can be customized using the .PSD's

Gary

The filesize could be worse.

The text is a bit hard to read. Why not give white a shot?
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

themegenius

Quote from: Gary on July 31, 2012, 10:21:37 AM
The filesize could be worse.

The text is a bit hard to read. Why not give white a shot?

I dont know how to change the file size gary and will give white a shot.

Gary

Quote from: themegenius on July 31, 2012, 10:25:14 AM
I dont know how to change the file size gary
You don't have to. 4kb is barely anything these days. Like I said, they could be worse.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Orangine

I'm sorry Gary but I have to disagree. Page loading time is VERY important, and wasting 4kb for single image is very stupid thing, considering how image heavy SMF themes can be. This is one of the most overlooked things by the SMF designers, you can very often see 200-300kb files being loaded as backgrounds or sprites, add to that 20 avatars and attachments thumbnails and you will see the page load time increasing to amounts it starts to damage SEO and irritate people. So again, I think using 4kb images for ranks I consider very irresponsible.

themegenius

Quote from: Orangine on July 31, 2012, 11:04:30 AM
I'm sorry Gary but I have to disagree. Page loading time is VERY important, and wasting 4kb for single image is very stupid thing, considering how image heavy SMF themes can be. This is one of the most overlooked things by the SMF designers, you can very often see 200-300kb files being loaded as backgrounds or sprites, add to that 20 avatars and attachments thumbnails and you will see the page load time increasing to amounts it starts to damage SEO and irritate people. So again, I think using 4kb images for ranks I consider very irresponsible.

Ok what size do you recommend and how can i lower it using PS

Orangine

simply using Smu****** reduces the size of second image from over 4k to 1.22 (saves about 70.60% of the size!)
also as you are using Photoshop you should know it has a lot of options to optimize image size, maybe it's time to get familiar with them :P

Arantor

And the word censor got you because s h i t is censored to ****** even in links...

Advertisement: