News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Who's Online does not count guest/members on external pages

Started by spottedhog, August 01, 2012, 09:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spottedhog

I have Who's Online displaying on external pages, however, it does not count members or guests who are on external pages.  Each external page includes SSI.php as the pages are using the SMF themes and $context variable for each page.

http://tpsites.us

... is one example.

Ideas?

thanks in advance...

Arantor

Use ssi_whosOnline() to update the online count in your external pages.

It won't be able to properly identify what they are doing.

spottedhog

thanks for your reply Arantor...

I am using ssi_whosOnline(), well, I made a modification of it by removing the actual names of who are online for use in the Forum Stats block.  However, it is the straight unvarnished ssi_whosOnline() at the bottom of each external page.

If a member has been to the Forums, it will list their name for I think 15 minutes, then it may change to Guest.  Also, if I, the admin on these sites, go onto a website, it may show: 0 Guests, 0 Members.

I guess what it is doing is, whosonline will not count someone until they have first been to the Forums.

Arantor

spottedhog

whoa!!!  That function got sneaked right into SSI.php and I did not see it.

I will try that.

thanks!

(:) methinks you bother because it challenges you to know the answer to everything...  ;))

Arantor

The thing is, handling online stuff in SSI is always interesting because it deliberately avoids doing so generally.

(And I bother, primarily, not because of the challenge but because I don't want to feel like I've wasted my time in learning everything.)

spottedhog

I let it run for an hour and it appears to work perfectly! 

thanks!

Advertisement: