News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Started by Elizabeth II, August 01, 2012, 12:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elizabeth II

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with avatars, when a page loads, it continues to do this for 30-40 seconds yet the page has fully loaded it continues for around that amount of time:

Once it stops, all the members avatars disappear in the topic and show as broken images/missing. Also this happens to your profile picture displayed in the Welcome section thing near show unread topics.

What is the issue and how can it be resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Kindred

probably have set your avtar directory incorrectly.  check the smf admin and confirm that the avatar directory and URL are correctly set
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Elizabeth II

Yeah, it is since they appear until it completely finishing loading. I haven't changed directory to them, it just randomly started happening yesterday.

Shambles

What browser are you using, and can we have a linky to your forum?

Elizabeth II

Quote from: Shambles™ on August 01, 2012, 12:52:47 PM
What browser are you using, and can we have a linky to your forum?

Chrome and

Shambles

Are there any parts of your forum that a guest can actually see?

Elizabeth II

Quote from: Shambles™ on August 01, 2012, 01:05:25 PM
Are there any parts of your forum that a guest can actually see?
Nope, I'll pm you my test account so you can login EDIT: maybe not..

user: raven360545
Pass: 123456

Shambles

Can I suggest you try a different browser?

I trundled through lots of your forum and had no problems whatsoever; all avatar types loaded fine, including the "?action-dlattach;type=avatar", "/community/avatars/" and externally hosted ones.

If you don't have access to firefox, Opera or *gulp* IE, try clearing your chrome cache folder.

Oh, and sorry for disabling my PM - as with many on this support forum it was being abused.

Elizabeth II

Weird, did keep saying 'loading' when the page has fully loaded? Because it does that stops, and then they appear as broken or missing.. It's strange I've never had any problems on Chrome with it, I created the forum with it and I've been using it on my forum ever since, it happened yesterday. Could changing the cookie name do anything to cause this? As I changed it yesterday because the 1st login attempt fails and I seen if I changed name of the cookie it should work

Shambles

No "loading" message - all forum pages rendered immediately.

Let us know when you've tried the options...

Quote from: Shambles™ on August 01, 2012, 01:31:43 PM
Can I suggest you try a different browser?

If you don't have access to firefox, Opera or *gulp* IE, try clearing your chrome cache folder.

Elizabeth II

Ok I've cleared everything in Chrome, history, cache, etc... Still the same. Downloaded firefox, the same happens, the circle in the browser tab goes round and round but when it stops, the images stay.. It must be something to do with this loading, it keeps loading when everything is loaded... I've heard from one member of my team same happens.. tried clearing forum cache also..

Shambles

Quote from: Mod Mark on August 01, 2012, 02:34:32 PM
...Downloaded firefox, the same happens, the circle in the browser tab goes round and round but when it stops, the images stay...

Isn't that an improvement on what you were getting?

Quote from: Mod Mark on August 01, 2012, 12:17:13 PM
...Once it stops, all the members avatars disappear in the topic and show as broken images/missing...

Elizabeth II

Yes but it ain't right, I hear it happens to other users now, it's just randomly started to do it since last night

Shambles

Did you install any mods last night, like enotify?

Elizabeth II

Quote from: Shambles™ on August 01, 2012, 02:57:49 PM
Did you install any mods last night, like enotify?

Nope, nothing especially not enotify that's been off my forum for a while since it caused mayhem with host and other problems. The only thing I done last night was change the cookie name

kat

A hunch, if I may be so bold...

Do you have "Quick reply" enabled?

If so, does disabling it sort this, by any chance?

Elizabeth II

Quote from: K@ on August 01, 2012, 03:11:04 PM
A hunch, if I may be so bold...

Do you have "Quick reply" enabled?

If so, does disabling it sort this, by any chance?

Yes but it's always been enabled and everythings been fine with it, why now?  :(

kat

Good question.

If that kinda thing started happening on my forum, there're a few things I'd check.

I'd ask my hostess if the server had been upgraded, or altered in some way.

I'd check the timestamps on some of the files, to see if any had been altered, recently. (Hack?)

First-off, though, I'd go to Admin>Forum maintenance, and empty the forum's cache, in case something, in there, had been corrupted, somehow.

Shambles

Also, why did you have to change the cookie name? A problem?

Elizabeth II

Quote from: K@ on August 01, 2012, 03:30:38 PM
Good question.

If that kinda thing started happening on my forum, there're a few things I'd check.

I'd ask my hostess if the server had been upgraded, or altered in some way.

I'd check the timestamps on some of the files, to see if any had been altered, recently. (Hack?)

First-off, though, I'd go to Admin>Forum maintenance, and empty the forum's cache, in case something, in there, had been corrupted, somehow.

I checked all but everything seems to be the same as it always was. I've cleared the cache with no success.

Quote from: Shambles™ on August 01, 2012, 03:32:18 PM
Also, why did you have to change the cookie name? A problem?

Logins always failed on 1st attempt, I done some research on here and seen that clearing cache and if that didn't work try changing cookie name, all in all didn't work but that's the reason why it was changed, what is the default name for it again?

Advertisement: