News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Started by ccs1676, May 19, 2013, 10:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccs1676

Found a pretty cool feature on liveleak user avatars. On some avatars, in the top right corner, there is a little speaker icon, denoting the fact if you rollover the avatar, a short soundclip will play. Seems like a simple javascript could accomplish this or possibly flash? See examples here:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8dc_1368874032

Arantor

Actually I'd say that's far more annoying than cool.

ccs1676

Quote from: Arantor on May 20, 2013, 05:23:50 PM
Actually I'd say that's far more annoying than cool.

we all have opinions, thanks for adding yours, is this possible to add to smf?

Arantor

Possible, yes. But I doubt anyone will be that interested in doing it. Depending on the music/sound there may be legal issues, not to mention a variety of technical issues (having to keep audio in multiple formats due to poor browser support, unless you use Flash which brings its own issues in terms of support and maintenance)

The thing is: it's more annoying than not, and my impression is that a lot of others feel much the same way so there's a very small pool of people who have the technical skill to pull it off that might actually *want* to do so.

ccs1676

again, it's your opinion that it's annoying, i don't know why you have to restate that. it's not like the audio automatically plays, you have to rollover the avatar. how is that annoying? this is also something that the forum administrator could simply turn on or off in the admin panel, or even the user's profile. anyways, thanks for the "help"  ???

Arantor

I'd rather be straight with you and tell you how unlikely it is that someone will make this for you (and tell you why) than let you believe someone will make it for you.

Shadowsdream

Looks like they did it in flash, I only say that because I have it turned off in my browser and mousing over the speaker icon does nothing... that or it's not supported in Safari (which would get into the issues Arantor mentioned).

And yeah, I'd find that annoying as well, also flash embedded in the forum avatars would give me hives.

broho2013

Hello. I have had an smf forum for a couple of years now. I checked out liveleak's avatar audio feature and I have to admit, it's rather amusing. However, if it is made using flash, I'm thinking that might be a security risk? But saying that it would be annoying makes no sense. You have to rollover the avatar to get the audio. That's like saying "see that link over there, that's annoying", without even clicking it.

Advertisement: