Questions about Repair Settings

Started by br360, July 14, 2014, 09:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br360

I am currently in the process of moving hosts. My new host is doing the migration for me, and now I am just waiting for the site to point to the new server. Currently, when I type in my url, I go to my old site, but I can get to the new site when I type in the new ip address.

My questions are- when do I upload and run repair settings? Do I wait until the forum points to the new server, or can I do it now?

Also, I was talking to my host, and they said that because I was using plesk on my old host, and plesk on the new host, I might not need to even use repair settings. Not sure if this is true, but going to the new site, it does look like everything is there and working (all of my mods, themes, etc)

Is there any way to tell if I even need to run repair settings, and if everything is working, will running it cause any issues?

Thanks.

Illori

once you can see that you are viewing the forum on the new host, upload repair_settings.php and see if it tells you any paths are wrong, if none are wrong you are fine.

kat

I tend to work on the premise that, if it works, don't fix it. ;)

But, if the files still exist, on your old server, you may get files still being called, from there. 'course, if/when those files disappear, you won't be able to access them.

This gives you a vague ideas as to what the repair does:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

br360

The only thing that repair settings suggested I change was the cookie. Everything else seemed to be the same. Odd that so little changed from one host to the other, but ok. ;)

Thank you both.

margarett

Actually it is odd.

Are you sure your site is not yet pointing to your old host? It's really uncommon that not even the folders structure on server's disk changes...
Just to be sure ;)

And, don't forget to remove repair_settings immediately after use ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

br360

I did a ping of my site and it points to the new ip address (run, cmd, ping mysite.com)

Also when typing in the ip of the old site into my browser, I get posts and topics from before the move. Typing in the new ip (as well as my site name) takes me to the current info with new posts, members, etc.

The only problem I have is that there are some members that are still finding their way to the old site (almost all of these members are getting there when using mobile devices) My host said that when changing NS, the propagation can take up to 24 hours.

And yes; repair settings was deleted immediately after. ;)

margarett

The best you should do is to access your old site (via Plesk), edit Settings.php and set something like this for maintenance:
$maintenance = '2'; # Set to 1 to enable Maintenance Mode, 2 to make the forum untouchable. (you'll have to make it 0 again manually!)
$mtitle = 'Maintenance mode - We moved!'; # Title for the Maintenance Mode message.
$mmessage = 'We changed servers and if you are seeing this it means you\'re still seeing the old server. Please try again later, as the DNS propagation can take some more hours'; # Description of why the forum is in maintenance mode.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

br360

Advertisement: