News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMFacebook - A Facebook Theme for SMF [Preview]

Started by PS4DEV, August 21, 2012, 07:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stylusss

Quote from: Bloc on September 07, 2012, 11:43:48 AM
I like how SMF functions are turned them into Facebook "functions". It might be a tad too much facebook IMHO..without being it really. Or is it communicating with real Facebook too?

Nonetheless, impressive coding/themeing skills. :) I wish there were more of you that did out-of-the-ordinary themes like this.

I think so too. In fact, I applaud your efforts, even though the content in the theme is a little bit jumpy from one page to the other, but that can be fixed.
For top-notch server quality and expertise, visit CoreISP.net

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

And please do check markup validation. It got too many errors. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwebconnect.bplaced.net%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Of course, you can do code cleaning later.

And as Arantor noted, SMF might not approve this. However, even if SMF won't approve, you may still share it here (via attachment) or elsewhere. I believe many will appreciate that. Those who might want to try or use this theme, might also have to deal with SEO issues personally, if any.

PS4DEV

Quote from: ahrasis on September 29, 2012, 11:08:36 AM
Aah... That's impressive. Everything in a theme. Will you release these any time soon in SMF or elsewhere?
Yes I think so. But you maybe have to wait a long time since this theme isn´t even 50% finished.

Quote from: Arantor on September 29, 2012, 11:31:03 AM
I can guarantee you right now that this can't be approved on the main SMF theme site - there is simply no way to pull the content you're pulling in the theme without violating the theme guidelines. (No DB queries in templates.)

I'm also concerned about the potential for screwing up SEO as well.

Other than that, well done for copying Facebook's UI.
Well first of it is not in my intension to copy facebook. But i like the way they are pushing that much data on a single page. This is what i´m doing here..
To the guidelines about DB queries: Couldn´t i simply store all DB query functions in a single .php non template file and call it in a template file , and if not, i surly could write a mod, that would include all functions in the index.php ?

Quote from: stylusss on September 29, 2012, 12:11:00 PM
Quote from: Bloc on September 07, 2012, 11:43:48 AM
I like how SMF functions are turned them into Facebook "functions". It might be a tad too much facebook IMHO..without being it really. Or is it communicating with real Facebook too?

Nonetheless, impressive coding/themeing skills. :) I wish there were more of you that did out-of-the-ordinary themes like this.

I think so too. In fact, I applaud your efforts, even though the content in the theme is a little bit jumpy from one page to the other, but that can be fixed.
Well as i said , this isn´t even 50% finished, of course it is jumpy ;)

Quote from: ahrasis on September 29, 2012, 12:28:49 PM
And please do check markup validation. It got too many errors. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwebconnect.bplaced.net%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Of course, you can do code cleaning later.

And as Arantor noted, SMF might not approve this. However, even if SMF won't approve, you may still share it here (via attachment) or elsewhere. I believe many will appreciate that. Those who might want to try or use this theme, might also have to deal with SEO issues personally, if any.

I know about the markup validation site, and i know about the errors, don´t worry :)

Arantor

QuoteTo the guidelines about DB queries: Couldn´t i simply store all DB query functions in a single .php non template file and call it in a template file , and if not, i surly could write a mod, that would include all functions in the index.php ?

Nope. The rules are quite simple and clear on this point: for it to be acceptable on the theme site, at no point can any part of a template call a query. Doesn't matter whether it's in a separate file or not, the whole point is that the sources stuff handles data gathering, the template handles displaying it. There is no leeway in this rule.

You could write a mod instead to handle the changes, sure, but it wouldn't them be part of the theme...

PS4DEV

Quote from: Arantor on September 29, 2012, 01:10:25 PM
QuoteTo the guidelines about DB queries: Couldn´t i simply store all DB query functions in a single .php non template file and call it in a template file , and if not, i surly could write a mod, that would include all functions in the index.php ?

Nope. The rules are quite simple and clear on this point: for it to be acceptable on the theme site, at no point can any part of a template call a query. Doesn't matter whether it's in a separate file or not, the whole point is that the sources stuff handles data gathering, the template handles displaying it. There is no leeway in this rule.

You could write a mod instead to handle the changes, sure, but it wouldn't them be part of the theme...
Ok thank you for the information, I´m going to think about it later, if the theme is finished.
And even  SMF won´t approve it, this will give other SMF Coders or Themers new ideas, so actually this single point is it worth to finish this theme.

Arantor

Oh, it's worth continuing, you can always distribute it on your own site. It just can't be accepted to the main theme site as it stands.

PS4DEV

Quote from: Arantor on September 29, 2012, 01:24:04 PM
Oh, it's worth continuing, you can always distribute it on your own site. It just can't be accepted to the main theme site as it stands.
Yep of course, you already told me that before ;)
thank you !

bloc

Quote from: PS4DEV on September 29, 2012, 01:28:24 PM
Quote from: Arantor on September 29, 2012, 01:24:04 PM
Yep of course, you already told me that before ;)
thank you !

I have had approved the Argentum and Minimalism themes on here and they do include database calls, for fetching avatars in boardindex and messageindex among other things. They also contain extra template files that are run through the Wrapaction, where more db stuff is happening. Minimalism theme is even an attempt at a FB-like theme, so that touches exactly the area that SMFacebook theme does..

I don't know if I was granted special permission or somethin'..but it stands to reason that these are only guidelines then, and not absolute criteria. In any case there should not be any special treatment in either direction.

Arantor

Considering how many other themes were refused for this reason, I'm willing to bet it's almost an oversight rather than anything else.

The rules have changed since I last looked but it does refer in the most recent version of the rules that they must conform to SMF standards - which means keeping display logic separate from the rest of the logic.

bloc

Oversight? On two themes? I did add it to more themes too lmao, but those are not available here any longer.

I fear it was quite deliberate actually, but I am not complaining. Only pointing out that if that rule is to be kept, it ought to have real consequences, and not the least be equal for everyone initially.

Dylert

This theme looks awesome, PS4DEV! :-) Please keep up the work and when it's fished A LOT of people will use the theme for their sites! No doubt about that!  :)

Don't worry about the team that much PS4DEV. As I said, you may still share it here via attachment. There is  no bar on that.  Or you can share it elsewhere. But of course, try it on theme site first. As Bloc said, yours might be approved as his did. Though, don't put a very high hope on that.

And you may release any mod or theme partially as it is being developed. Many have done that to get more feedback and get their mod / theme tested. The choice is always yours.

But in the end, the most important thing is finishing the theme. That what counts. So, good luck and all the best. (I may not be around since I have quite a busy October coming).

Bigguy

You can always put it up for download on my site if you like. :)

PS4DEV

Dylert

When do you think this theme will be finished, PS4DEV??

jennifer12

At the official site of SMF you get many type of Themes  :)
just find and install them for Facebook themes
to Apply the themes you should first install them

PS4DEV

Quote from: Dylert on October 02, 2012, 01:39:38 PM
When do you think this theme will be finished, PS4DEV??
I´m sorry to dissapoint you,
but I´m working on many themes at the moment, one of them will be for my school, that needs to be finished first.
After that , I will finish the Facebook Theme.

As I said before, don't rush but do finish it. Most of the mod(s) or theme(s) that have been planned similar to this, ended up either not finished or not properly finished. You might want to share it in a github like others do.

bloc

Quote from: No More Mr Nice Sully on October 14, 2012, 12:21:20 PM
As I said before, don't rush but do finish it. Most of the mod(s) or theme(s) that have been planned similar to this, ended up either not finished or not properly finished. You might want to share it in a github like others do.
There are SMF themes shared on Github..?

Arantor

There are SMF mods on Github, so why not themes?

Advertisement: