News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Installing mod error

Started by revail, August 26, 2012, 05:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revail

Hello guys..
I have a problem installing mods on my forum
when im going to install a mod i have this error
"You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

Does anyone know why i get this error??
If someone know and know how i can solve it plzz reply me :)

Kays

Hi, welcome to SMF. :)

In the Packages folder, create a new folder named temp and chmod it to 777. That should fix that.

I hope. ???

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

revail

when you are telling chmod it to 777 what you mean exactly to do?
im new and i dont everything well...:P
i didnt understand

Kays

How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?
How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

If you're using a site manager, try just creating the temp folder and see it that helps. If not then you might need to chmod it.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

revail

i cant do it :/
you can help me with skype or teamviewer?

Kays

My Mods

revail

i cant understand exactly what i must do :/

Kays

OK, let's start from the beginning. How did you install your forum?

If it was with an installer in your site control panel. Then somewhere in that control panel is a file manager which allows you to browse through the files on you site. Browse to folder your forum is installed in and then to the packages folder. There should be an option there to create a new folder.

The other method is to use an FTP client such as FileZilla. There should be more details on how to use one in the link I posted previously.

My Mods

revail

a friend has installed my forum..
but i have username and password and i can browse the files with filezilla

revail

i must go to forum folders?
then to the package folder and creater there a forlder named temp..and then inside in this folder named temp
i must make a text named chmod 777?

Kays

OK, then. Just browse to the Packages folder and open it. Then right click and select create directory. When that is done to check or change permission. Again right click and select File permissions. Basically, the permissions on the temp folder should be the same as the permissions of the other folders in your forum root.

My Mods

revail

i made it..!!!!!!!
Thank you my friendddddddddd :********* :D :D

Kays

Great, it wasn't that difficult to do was it. :)

Marked as solved.

My Mods

revail

yeah finally it wasnt so difficult :D

Kays

Forgot to ask. Are you able to install your mod now? ???

My Mods

revail

yes i was installed the mods that i want.. :P
but this mod i installed it but i cant find from where i can active it on the forum...
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3067
in my wamp server that i have for tests when i installed this mod i activated it forum modifications>miscalenious
but now on the live forum i cant find any option there or anywere else :P

Kays

It should be in the same place.

This mod uses hooks, can you verify that there's a file named "Subs-SimpleColorizer.php" in the Sources directory?

I wonder if it didn't get copied over.

My Mods

revail

I look there but its not there :/
yy it have a file named "Subs-SimpleColorizer.php"

Kays

If the file is there. Then the best place to start looking for answers is the support thread for that mod,

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=439878.0

My Mods

revail

@Kays i go to install new mod but i get again the same error..
i must make again new folder and chmod it?

ok this fixed the temp folder was deleted it..

revail

another problem is that if i install any mod it doesnt work...

Kays

Unfortunately, that's normal.

What's suppose to happen is the SMF creates that folder to use to unpack the mod. After it's done the folder gets deleted. But due to some configuration in your server, SMF is unable to create that temp folder. But it can still delete it.

My Mods

revail

hmmm this is not good :/

but why the mod cant work?

Kays

Is this for the one mod or do you have the same problem with other mods?

My Mods

revail

i have the some problem with all the mods that i installed

Kays

Do they install fine on your local server?

Who are you hosted with?

My Mods

revail

in my local server they are absolutely fine and works well..

in my friend host server :)

Kays

Then, I would suggest that you get him to look into this problem.

Since something ain't quite right there and he's the most qualified person to look into this.

My Mods

revail

ok i will tell him to look it..

but in the Administrator>package manager>file permissions all the files are "writable" except "sources" that are all the files in this folder is "Not Writable"

Maybe this is the problem and the mods cant work?

Kays

It could be. Try making it writable. Use the FTP client and set the permissions to be the same as the other folders.

My Mods

revail

i try it but nothing they dont change :/
i make them 777 and i open them again tey are 645

Kays

Hmm, defiantly contact your friend about this. Things won't work properly if the Sources folder is unwritable.

My Mods

revail

ok...

if i reinstall the forum all will be ok?or i will again this problem/

Kays

It does look to me like there's a permissions or ownership problem with that folder.

Rather than re-installing. rename it and then re-upload the Sources folder from the install package.

My Mods

revail

you tell me to rename the folder and then re-upload the sources in the same folder e?:P

Kays

My Mods

revail

i must re-upload the sources in the same folder that are now??

just change the name of the folder?

Kays

No, the idea is to replace the existing Sources folder with a fresh one. In order to do that the original folder needs to be renamed to something other than "Sources".

My Mods

revail

when you tell fresh one...?
you mean to take the "sources" folder from the smf 2.0.2 version .zip?

or to copy the "sources" folder that i have already install in the forum and just re-upload it? :P

sorry for the many questions :)

Kays

Option 1. :P

Since there seems to be a problem with the current folder. Rename it so it's not being used by SMF and then re-upload the Sources folder from the 2.0.2 install package. If you don't have a copy you can download it from here

http://download.simplemachines.org/

My Mods

revail

Ahhh thank you man!!a lot!!!!! :P
it works now all files are writable and all mods works...
(the old folder sources that renamed i can delete it?)

the temp folder that chmod it to 777 will be deleted every day?and i must make it again?

revail

man i go to install new mod again..

i installed it succesfully but is not working again while all files are writable...

maybe want again to re-upload the "sources" folder?

MrPhil

Quote from: revail on August 27, 2012, 05:58:08 PM
the temp folder that chmod it to 777 will be deleted every day?and i must make it again?

SMF will not delete the folder, but your host might be deleting it because it's a security hazard (world writable). You never make a directory 777 until you have tried 755 and then 775 without success.

revail

ok my friend...

Do you know why mods are not working while they have been installed succesfully without any error??

Kays

You're best to contact your friend about the problem with the mods. If they work fine for most people and on your local sever. Then it's probably a server related problem and there's not much we can do about that.

My Mods

revail

ok my friend :)

thank you for the help
Question:but why the simplecolorizer mod works?cause is with hook?

Kays

Probably. When hooks are used there's can be no file edits. At least in the case of this one there aren't any.

My Mods

dkpeppard

Quote from: Kays on August 26, 2012, 06:06:43 PM
Hi, welcome to SMF. :)

In the Packages folder, create a new folder named temp and chmod it to 777. That should fix that.

I hope. ???

I did this for the recent 2.0.3 security patch and it fixed my "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!" error.  I was able to successfully install the patch after following Kays' instructions of creating the 'temp' folder, and CHMOD to 777.

Hope this helps others.

Advertisement: