News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Moved to new Server.. Session verification Failed problems.

Started by mrnuke, August 28, 2012, 05:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrnuke

I was recently moved to a higher-end server with my SMF Forum.
It's been running fine for about 3 years now and is up to version 2.02 with mods, etc..

Since the move over the weekend, I've been getting 'Session Verification Errors', 'Session timed out while posting' errors.

I searched for some fix for it on here but non of the threads I found had working solutions for me.

I found this in a thread here :

SMF Code Fix

Everywhere you see the regular expression that checks for a valid session_id in Load.php:

Code: [Select]
'~^[A-Za-z0-9]{16,32}$~'

You need to change to this (notice the addition of the comma and minus):

Code: [Select]
'~^[A-Za-z0-9,-]{16,32}$~'

It did not make any difference.

Any clue ? The new server uses php  version 5.3.16
and the host recompiled apache with mb_string support.

Www.ctguntalk.com CT's hottest Firearms, Politics and News Social Site.

emanuele

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

mrnuke

Thank You for looking into this.

I am attaching the results in a file.

mrnuke

I was playing with server settings and all of the sudden it was fine for about 2 hours.
It just started doing the same problem again.  :-[
I even disabled caching just in case as the Host said that might be it.
No difference.

mrnuke

Update.

The forum became unusable. I could not do any admin function without session verification failed errors and session time outs.

The host and I ended up creating a new instance of SMF and moving the database over and reinstall most of the mods, etc..

Everything is back to normal again, as long as I stay with the default theme. If I change to any other theme, I get the session verification failed errors again..

Anyone got a clue??

emanuele

Link and an account please.

According to your phpinfo the patch you applied should not be the needed in your case (and the fact that it doesn't solve your issue is the demonstration).
The fact that changing theme creates more issues...strange.

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

mrnuke

emanuele

Is there any particular action (apart from logout) where a regular user face the issue?

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can try this, but the problem shouldn't be theme dependent.  Can you confirm that it never happens in default theme, but occurs in others?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

emanuele

mrnuke has already applied these changes according to his first post. And according to the phpinfo he posted the one described in that topic is not his issue since session.hash_bits_per_character is 4. ;)

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

mrnuke

Regular users are having Session Time outs where they try to post or send a PM and they can't due to a Session error.
It seems ok with the default Theme.

Once I change to even a newly installed (no errors during install) Theme, I immediately start session verification errors.

My Host made new install of SMF 2.0.2 and setup the exisitng database to it. Now everything works until a theme is changed.

emanuele

Could you allow users to change theme, so that I can try?
Does it happen with 1 theme in particular? Or with any theme?

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Nitesh Kunnath

Maybe session cache storage? Delete all the session cache from server and see if this solve the issue...SMF might regenerate the sessions I guess

Before doing anything, take a backup

mrnuke

Quote from: die2mrw007 on August 31, 2012, 07:35:20 AM
Maybe session cache storage? Delete all the session cache from server and see if this solve the issue...SMF might regenerate the sessions I guess

If you mean to delete it using the maintenance options within SMF, I've done it countless times. No difference.

Today it started rnadomly giving me this error when trying to post a reply to a thread:
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

I had to click post 4x to get it to stick..

The host doesn't seem to know what's going on. he said he has 150 other SMF Forums on his servers adn none have this issue.
The problem started right after the move from the previous server to this new one though.  >:(

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: mrnuke on August 31, 2012, 09:02:57 AM
Quote from: die2mrw007 on August 31, 2012, 07:35:20 AM

If you mean to delete it using the maintenance options within SMF, I've done it countless times. No difference.

Today it started rnadomly giving me this error when trying to post a reply to a thread:
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

I had to click post 4x to get it to stick..

The host doesn't seem to know what's going on. he said he has 150 other SMF Forums on his servers adn none have this issue.
The problem started right after the move from the previous server to this new one though.  >:(
It isnt actually the hosting issues in my view but some settings are conflicting it.
What all mods are you using in your SMF forum? Can you list all?
Try disabling all the mods you installed and check if the error still surfaces. Sometimes it happens with particular mod conflict too. As in my case it was Enotify mod which was misbehaving!

mrnuke

Thanks for all the input guys (and gals).

Here are the list of mods :

1.   Smart Pagination    0.8.2                                       [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Dream Portal    1.1                                               [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   Animation Blue Smiley    2.1                               [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Scrolling Buttons    0.1                                       [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   Facebook Slide Like Box    2.1                                     [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] *Not installed*
6.   Add Join Date to Post    1.0                               [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Ad Managment    3.0.1                                               [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Country Flags    2.1                                               [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC4/RC5/Final Plugin    3.0.2       [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   Aeva ~ Auto-Embed Video & Audio    7.2               [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

ps. I just ran repair_settings.php and it found everything good. (Everything recommended was set, other than language it recommended 'english', it's set at 'english-utf8'.

mrnuke

I tried uninstalling every mod and then switch themes. Did not work. Still got the Session Verification Errors when doign stuff in the Admin Section.

mrnuke

Another test.

I installed another instance of SMF with a different name and database as new.
Installed new themes, current mods and everything is working 100%. So I'm guessing something with the files on the existing forum is messed up. Maybe it's looking for multiple cookies, or tryign to log in with multiple session ID's or something?

I have no idea.

mrnuke

Still having issues. People sessions timing out, unable to vote on polls, people having to re-login all the time. etc..

What should I do? Nobody seems to be able to fix it!!  :'(

Sir Osis of Liver

If you haven't already done so, import a backup of your live database to the new db in your test install, and see if the problem appears.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: