My Template Files got Messed Up and Forum Wont Display

Started by stevob7, August 29, 2012, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevob7

I was editing the footer in my SMF template files and then i saved and pressed back on my browser and edited again. Now i cant access any page on my forum at all as all that comes up is the pages coding on the screen. And i'm pretty sure everyone is going to tell me that i will have to reinstall SMF or something but i just wanted to know.

Thanks

Orangine

reinstall? what for?
just open default index.template.php and copy&paste whatever you edited and you're grand

stevob7

oh. well i'm after reinstalling it but the same template is still messed up there must have been files elsewhere storing the data

Suki

Hi, welcome to SMF.

You don't have to re-install SMF, do you have an url where we can see your forum?
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

stevob7

Hi and thanks,

Unfortunately I already have and its fixed. I was wondering about mods though. Since they will only all work on the default template files then would a theme like this ]http://www.colorizeit.com/styles/smf-20-themes/266.epic.html#H6d97b33M4h4hl2as41n6ec0c0dO/] [nofollow] work? its just i really want a different coloured theme than the blue, red specifically, thanks
Quote from: Suki on August 29, 2012, 01:24:57 PM
Hi, welcome to SMF.

You don't have to re-install SMF, do you have an url where we can see your forum?

Suki

It depends on the mod itself.

Some mods does edit file templates, 95% of the time they will only perform the changes to the default theme, so, the mod will not work on any other theme unless you manually edit that theme or check the "Install on other themes" checkbox on install.

Many other mods only does changes to Source files or uses hooks which means the mod will work on any theme you already installed or will install, it is always preferable to use this kind of mods.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

stevob7

Oh i see. So will that theme that i showed the url to you have the same files as the default one (curve)? as it seems to have the same layout just different colours.

Suki

Depends on the theme.  Some themes are just variaitons form the default theme, which means they only add a css file and nothing else, for this kind of themes all mods will work since the theme will use the files form the default theme.

There are more complicated themes that include their own template files, usually they include the Index.template, Display.template and BoardIndex.template  since they are the most used template and the most visible ones.  For this kind of templates you will need to do manual changes to their own files.

As for the specific theme you mention, it only include the Index.template file so you only need to do manual changes if a mod modifies the Index.template.php file.

stevob7

Very helpfull thanks,

Also are there any other ways in order to get a nice colour of your choice applied on the Curve?

stevob7

And also are there many mods that may not work because of that theme haveing index.template changes?

Suki

Apart from installing a different theme or using the SMF Theme Color Editor tool, you can always directly modify the default theme css file located at /Themes/default/css/index.css for 2.0 installations or /Themes/default/style.css for 1.1.x installations. Of course you will need some css skills to do that, there are plenty or guides and tutorials about css, just google css tutorials.

Quote from: stevob7 on August 29, 2012, 02:15:36 PM
And also are there many mods that may not work because of that theme haveing index.template changes?

Depends on the mod, you will have to see the parser for each mod to see if a mod modifies the Index.template file or not.

Kindred

there's a few multi-color curve variations...

as for mods... it really depends on what your changes were and what code the mod is looking for... And even then, you can manually apply the failed changes.

Side note: on 2.0.x, most mods will install just fine on the default and all alternate themes...   I had 120+ mods installed at one point on a test forum and only had to make minor manual edits in the non-default themes.
Mind you, the further your custom theme departs for the default coding, the more likely you are to have a failure in the automatic process that requires manual application of the code change(s)

--edit - ninja'd
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

stevob7

I see, so i can test those mods on the Epic theme i want to try out and then if some dont work and i try a curve variation then how will i enable the mods on curve?

Kindred

if you add themes AFTER mod installs, you will have to manually add the mod changes to those new themes.

Add your theme(s) THEN add your mods.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

stevob7

ok, i meesed up. i installed simpleportal, then uploaded a new theme. then uninstalled simpleportal. now when i try to install simpleportal it says it already on the server. what should i do??

stevob7

Quote from: Kindred on August 29, 2012, 02:34:55 PM
if you add themes AFTER mod installs, you will have to manually add the mod changes to those new themes.

Add your theme(s) THEN add your mods.

Sorry but are you there?

Kindred

I am not on at all times...

did you UNINSTALL simple portal or did you delete it?
If you uninstalled it - then are you trying to reinstall from the main package manager screen or from the download/upload a new package screen?
Слaва
Украинi

stevob7

Sorry, i've just fixed it by deleting it on ftp and installing it again. By the way, that theme that i showed you and i'm using, it has a small faint red box on the top of the page instead of white. Would you know of a way to get rid of it by any chance?

Thanks

Kindred

I have no idea what you mean by "red box"...

As for deleting it...  so, what I am assuming is that, after uninstalling it and adding your new theme, you went to the download a mod package page and tried to upload the simpleportal mod...   which you didn't have to do... the mod was still sitting in the package manager packages list waiting to be reinstalled from there.
Слaва
Украинi

stevob7

no no, its just a slight problem with the theme colorizer, check the link earlier on please in which i gave for it. you'll see the red tint there

stevob7

Quote from: Kindred on August 29, 2012, 03:52:08 PM
I have no idea what you mean by "red box"...

As for deleting it...  so, what I am assuming is that, after uninstalling it and adding your new theme, you went to the download a mod package page and tried to upload the simpleportal mod...   which you didn't have to do... the mod was still sitting in the package manager packages list waiting to be reinstalled from there.

Hello again. I cant seem to find a way to change the ''Epic'' logo on the top of the forum in the Epic theme i showed you. I tried replacing the logo.psd in the theme folder but it didnt seem to make any difference. Thanks

Kindred

the PSD is not the image used...   the PSD is the source that created the image file and was provided to you by the author so that you could modify the logo and then export it to a new image file.

I can't view your stuff, since I am mostly reading and posting from a mobile device.
Слaва
Украинi

stevob7

Quote from: Kindred on August 31, 2012, 11:21:19 AM
the PSD is not the image used...   the PSD is the source that created the image file and was provided to you by the author so that you could modify the logo and then export it to a new image file.

I can't view your stuff, since I am mostly reading and posting from a mobile device.

Oh i see, so could you explain to me in detail exactly what to do then please? much appreciated

Kindred

Since I don't know the theme in question, I don't know the name if the actual file... but I would assume it to be logo.gif or logo.png
Слaва
Украинi

stevob7

Quote from: Kindred on August 31, 2012, 11:29:18 AM
Since I don't know the theme in question, I don't know the name if the actual file... but I would assume it to be logo.gif or logo.png

Yes its Logo.png and i just replaced the png with my own logo but its still thesameso what else would i have to do?

Kindred

clear the cache (on both your site and your browser)
Слaва
Украинi

stevob7

Ok i'm after doing that and now the logo wont show up at all. i also put this in the index.css and changed the width etc. to the proper 1????

/* logo / slogan
**********************************/
#logo a {
   position: absolute;
   top: 30px;
   left: 1.5em;
   display: block;
   width: 113px  !important;
   height: 70px  !important;
   cursor: pointer;
   background: url(../images/id/logo.png) no-repeat;
}

stevob7

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

stevob7

Quote from: Kindred on August 31, 2012, 05:26:53 PM
what is your site URL again?

The logo still wont show up and i was also wondering why i get the same install error with many mods. it says like it cant  ''load.sources.'' or something, any help please?

stevob7

Quote from: Kindred on August 31, 2012, 05:26:53 PM
what is your site URL again?

This is the recurring error. Surely there is a fix, Thanks.

12.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Load.php               Test failed

Kindred

is that the error?   well, that is very different form a site error, you never said it was an error with mod installation... and obviously, you have not tried to search, since this question is answered multiple times in nearly EVERY mod thread, as well as being answered in the wiki

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation
Слaва
Украинi

stevob7

Quote from: Kindred on September 07, 2012, 09:09:35 PM
is that the error?   well, that is very different form a site error, you never said it was an error with mod installation... and obviously, you have not tried to search, since this question is answered multiple times in nearly EVERY mod thread, as well as being answered in the wiki

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

Ok i'll try all that, by the way my logo still isnt appearing. i followed the steps

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

kat

What did you put, for the logo?

There IS something there. You just can't see it.

If you move the mouse over it, there's a link to your forum, but no graphic.

Advertisement: