News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mod that Leads Users to the Same Page they were before registration?

Started by MidasBalaa, August 30, 2012, 02:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidasBalaa

I am looking for a modification that leads users to the same page they were before they registered. My thinking is this. Most users register because they want to comment. So instead of taking them to the board index after registration, why not return them to same page they were reading so they can easily add their comments.

If there is such a mod please let me know

wynnyelle

Bump. I like this!

Wondering if anyone would be into coding it? Should we take this to the modifications board?

MrPhil

It would definitely be a mod or even a feature request. If I understand you correctly, you want to not just stay in the same place after logging in, but also to return to that page after registering. That should be possible (probably a very similar mechanism to that used after logging in).

wynnyelle

Right, yeah thank you for that correction, registration, that's what I had in mind and I'm pretty sure the original poster did too. Thanks!

Texan78

You can try this one. I use it on my board and it works well for logging in and logging out. I have not tested it for returning after registration but it might work the same way.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2714

wynnyelle

Thanks!

I'll let you know how it goes. The reason I want it is that my site now has a lot of alternate areas and people will want to return to the board they found rather than wander lost through the rest of the site looking for it after they register, if they registered out of interest in one of our alt areas.

MidasBalaa

Texan78

Nope it doesn't, I just tested it too.

I think a lot of it will weight on how users are approved. If they have to verify their account in a email or by the admin, then I don't know how the session would be stored or save until after registration.

MrPhil

If the account has to be approved by the Administrator or by email response, all the new member could do would be to wait at the registration page until approved. Even then, good point about how to update the session to jump to log in and then to the page that started it all. I still think it could be done, but maybe it wouldn't be so easy after all... :(

wynnyelle

We don't have those set for new registrations; even if email approval is needed, though, it wouldn't really make a difference which page they landed on on our site after registering because they would still have to leave the site to enable their accounts.

Texan78

It would definably be a useful mod no doubt. I know I would be interested in it. I hope someone comes up with a idea of how to do it. I don't think it would be a easy task though.

wynnyelle

I am already asking my regular programmer if he can do it for us soon.

MidasBalaa

I desperately need this. I am sure it would make a huge difference in reducing the number of people who register and become dormant.

wynnyelle

Me too. Especially now that my site's begun to expand into other genres. We have boards for each genre and I don't want people registering to play on them only to be booted out to an area they have no interest in. They can already reach the front page through various links on every other page.

MrPhil

Until the time that someone gets around to writing this mod, what about sticking a message under the "Login or Join" message reminding people about to join, to bookmark this page before clicking "Join"? Once you have the mod, you can remove that message.

MidasBalaa

Nice suggestions except that I also have fake reply buttons that lead a guest to the registration page once somebody clicks them.

Texan78

Quote from: midas2010 on September 12, 2012, 08:54:12 AM
I also have fake reply buttons that lead a guest to the registration page once somebody clicks them.

Now that's a very good idea. Which Mod are you using to do that.

I found this one

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1755

but it doesn't work with 2.0.2.

Advertisement: