News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF and ipage FTP issues - ipage blames SMF

Started by tMicky, August 30, 2012, 02:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tMicky

I was wondering if anyone has been able to solve the FTP issue between SMF and ipage.

When trying to install mods through the package installer, the installation stalls on the FTP Permission required page. I inputted all the FTP information given by ipage, even had their Tech Support and Advanced Tech Support log in as Admin to my site and they couldn't get it to work.

I finally got an email from them saying, there was a script problem with SMF. I tried the same mod and download on a site hosted on 000webhost and there was no problem.

After doing more research, I see other ipage users complaining about the error message - when the information is added, you get a 503 incorrect login information error message.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone know how to fix this issue. Is there a way to install mods without the package install FTP access?

kat

ipage are yanking your chain.

If it works everywhere else, but not on ipage, that must tell you something.

tMicky

After going back and forth with ipage, and their different levels of Support Team, right to their Advanced level team. It turns out, ipage's home directory is not writeable via scripts. So Mods through Package Installer will not work.

I decided to update this thread, for those who might be in the same boat, and have spent days trying to resolve the issue.

mrintech

Quote from: tMicky on August 31, 2012, 10:25:35 PM
After going back and forth with ipage, and their different levels of Support Team, right to their Advanced level team. It turns out, ipage's home directory is not writeable via scripts. So Mods through Package Installer will not work.

I decided to update this thread, for those who might be in the same boat, and have spent days trying to resolve the issue.

Well AFAIK, in shared hosting home directory is not writeable at all

Try moving your site files to public_html/

tMicky

Quote from: mrintech on September 01, 2012, 12:08:12 AM

So, I created a public_html file in the root directory and moved all my forum files into it. Unfortunately, my site stopped working as it couldn't see the folders. I attempted to move all the files back, and everything moved, except the packages folder, which wouldn't move out of the newly created public_html folder.

Foolishly, I thought I could just delete that folder and reupload a new Packages Folder, but that didn't work. I keep getting transfer successful, but there is no Packages Folder in the root directory anymore.

I tried to then add it via the File Manager and I get a Packages Folder that looks like a File, that I can't edit, I tried to upload into it, and it said upload successful, but it still shows 0kb.

With no Packages Folder, The Package Downloader on my site no longer works.

mrintech

Quote from: tMicky on September 01, 2012, 02:37:50 AM

So, I created a public_html file in the root directory and moved all my forum files into it. Unfortunately, my site stopped working as it couldn't see the folders. I attempted to move all the files back, and everything moved, except the packages folder, which wouldn't move out of the newly created public_html folder.

Foolishly, I thought I could just delete that folder and reupload a new Packages Folder, but that didn't work. I keep getting transfer successful, but there is no Packages Folder in the root directory anymore.

I tried to then add it via the File Manager and I get a Packages Folder that looks like a File, that I can't edit, I tried to upload into it, and it said upload successful, but it still shows 0kb.

Damn! I shouldn't have posted this line: "Try moving your site files to public_html/" - I apologize :(

All I wanted to say, if Home Directory is non-writable, you need to install SMF under public_html

And, why you are creating public_html folder? Isn't it already present in cPanel File Manager by default?

If you simply move your site from current folder to some other folder, you need to make changes in database too

:(

tMicky

Quote from: mrintech on September 01, 2012, 02:46:19 AM
Quote from: tMicky on September 01, 2012, 02:37:50 AM

Damn! I shouldn't have posted this line: "Try moving your site files to public_html/" - I apologize :(

All I wanted to say, if Home Directory is non-writable, you need to install SMF under public_html

And, why you are creating public_html folder? Isn't it already present in cPanel File Manager by default?

If you simply move your site from current folder to some other folder, you need to make changes in database too

:(
Nah, it was me not thinking, I am a newbie at this, so this is all a learning experience. I closed my FTP, restarted File Manger, and this time I was able to create the Packages Folder, I then uploaded with File Manger, the contents from the deleted packages folder.

And now the Package Manger is working again, whew.

My hosting site is ipage and they have a odd configuration, there is no public_html file, the root just has a /. I suspect, this is one of the reasons Mods that require FTP permission do not work on ipage hosted sites.

tMicky

I wonder if other popular hosts have this no FTP Scripts connection issue that ipage had. Is this a problem on hostgator? What are some other good hosting sites, other than ipage and Go daddy.

mrintech

I am using HostGator and my forum is installed under public_html, not directly in Home directory (Your cPanel account's highest-level directory, which contains all of the files and directories used by domains managed through your account. Files placed in your home directory are not accessible online unless they reside in the public_html directory or a subdirectory of public_html.)

I have no problems at all.

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/cpanel/public_html-folder

Advertisement: