News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Postloop Installer - More posts more activity more members!

Started by Jade Elizabeth, August 31, 2012, 11:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Quote from: nend on January 13, 2016, 07:47:03 AM
Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on January 13, 2016, 01:04:45 AM
How can you say it's slowed down when you only had one member previously?

Last time I used it on the first day I got new people posting new topics. This time around just got one user.

It's only been ONE day.

Be patient and give it a week or two.

Just my thought.

Best Wishes,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Jade Elizabeth

You've also got to account for the time of year it is, it's right in holiday season still and people aren't posting as much naturally. The end/start and middle of the year are down times for traffic.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

nend

Rust

This mod works very well.  Thanks for the addition.

Postloop, on the other hand, does not work at all and is rapidly dying.  Many hundreds of forums have filtered through that "service", since at least 2010, and close to none of them survived.  That isn't too inspiring considering being listed there for any length of time involves hundreds or thousands of dollars spent on low-grade content.  I'd caution any new forum owner who is considering using PostLoop for content creation.

Jade Elizabeth

If you work with me I can help you get the best out of it. But no matter how much money you throw around you have to be advertising and getting new members in. Postloopers are only supposed to help keep the forum active and going so real members can become established.

On one of my sites it failed because I couldn't get new members in. On my other sites where I've been able to get newbies in Postloop has been a life saver. On one of my sites in particular I'd NEVER have succeeded without it. I only keep it for a small boost now, maybe 10 posts a day, because my members are posting and keeping things going themselves :D.

You have to put in the work. You can't just throw ingreedients into a cake tin and hope it will mix itself lol. :D

And seriously Postloop is not dying, people say that about so many things but honestly if you're not actively using it you have no idea (and even then I would suggest perhaps it's your POV).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Rust

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 17, 2016, 11:17:23 PM
If you work with me I can help you get the best out of it.

Thanks for offering, but no thanks.  There is no way I'd use PL for content writers.

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 17, 2016, 11:17:23 PMOn my other sites where I've been able to get newbies in Postloop has been a life saver. On one of my sites in particular I'd NEVER have succeeded without it. I only keep it for a small boost now, maybe 10 posts a day, because my members are posting and keeping things going themselves

Links to your sites?

And "small boosts" is still dependent, in at least in part, on PL.  Until a board is no longer dependent on paid posters, it is not a success.

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 17, 2016, 11:17:23 PMAnd seriously Postloop is not dying

Sure it is.  There is less than a third of the forums on there than in years past.  The owner, Ryan, even confirmed that on the support board.  Heck, take a look at the forum list and review the totals at the bottom of the page.

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 17, 2016, 11:17:23 PMpeople say that about so many things but honestly if you're not actively using it you have no idea (and even then I would suggest perhaps it's your POV).

Your perception is incorrect.  I log into PostLoop, literally, every day and have done so, with few exception, for almost a half decade.  You, evidently, haven't noticed the huge drop in forums, the multiple complaints on the support board, and the negative reviews elsewhere.

Jade Elizabeth

It's not dependent now. In fact it's been off now for about a week and no drop in posting.

I won't link publicly ha ha.

There's another up and coming service being built from people who are sick of PL, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Rust

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 18, 2016, 03:45:21 AMI won't link publicly ha ha.

That's odd.

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 18, 2016, 03:45:21 AMThere's another up and coming service being built from people who are sick of PL, but I haven't looked into it yet.

The Forum Wheel, per chance?  It actually is worse.  And they only have six forums active as of this writing. :o

Jade Elizabeth

No it's not the forum wheel. I honestly can't remember the name, I got invited though so I will probably check them out. They've got a lot of people pissed at PL there so I expect it will be decent sized.

-Rock Lee-

@Jade Elizabeth It seems a curious modification I've never heard of the serious matter of try to see that this is all;) thanks for sharing!

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Rust

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on June 18, 2016, 07:26:28 PM
No it's not the forum wheel. I honestly can't remember the name, I got invited though so I will probably check them out. They've got a lot of people pissed at PL there so I expect it will be decent sized.

If you recall the site, I would be curious to take a look.  Thanks. :)

Jade Elizabeth

I remembered, here's a linky!

Also I wouldn't share the forum info because I'm not managing it from my regular account and I'd rather it not be associated with PL anyway, outside of the ugly has to be listed stuff :).

Rust

Quote from: Rust on June 17, 2016, 11:42:21 PMThere is less than a third of the forums on there than in years past.

Did I say third? It is more like a fifth now, about six weeks later.  There's only 22 listed now, but two of those have negative points.  Of the remaining 20, four of those have a rating setting at or around 5.0 meaning they don't want anymore PL writers.  So, we're looking at about 16 active forums.  Compare this to the 110-130 forums listed there in years past and one can see the service is in terminal decline.  The reasons are pretty obvious and covered extensively elsewhere.

Jade Elizabeth

Does it really matter if Postloop is or is not in decline? It's working right now, there's some really awesome posters on it...why not take advantage while it's still around? :)

Rust

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on August 28, 2016, 11:39:02 AM
Does it really matter if Postloop is or is not in decline? It's working right now, there's some really awesome posters on it...why not take advantage while it's still around? :)

The fact it is in rapid decline says something;  the most obvious of which that forum owners have figured out it doesn't work for launching or sustaining a forum.  Some of the posters are indeed quite good, but most of them post drivel.  Utilizing the service over any length of time is very expensive, which would be fine if it worked, but it doesn't.

And since posting, the slide has continued.  24 forums listed, but only 14 with positive points, and only 8 of those with a rating requirement that really allows new members.  Circling the drain ...

PyroTech03

Considering contentvania apparently crashed, looks like these types of services are slowly going to the wayside
YouTube personality PyroTech03 http://www.youtube.com/pyrotech03stream [nofollow]

Owner of Obtenebration Network, home for YouTube gaming content creators and fans! http://www.obten.net [nofollow]

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: PyroTech03 on September 16, 2016, 12:52:43 AM
Considering contentvania apparently crashed, looks like these types of services are slowly going to the wayside

That was because the operator knew how to advertise but not how to run the show. The instructions were a mess and basically non existent. I even asked them for help several times and their replies weren't very helpful (when they were understandable) and they were constantly "going to" fix things that weren't working right. I think there's a lot more to it than "forums are dying".

Jade Elizabeth

Fantastic. He's still making money from it and there's probably not a lot of maintenance past updating the file every now and then. He also covers blogs really nicely; he should just change his focus or sell it.

I sure hope crusaders against it like you haven't influenced the decision.

Rust

I'm a little surprised by it too considering the maintenance couldn't be that onerous.  On the other hand, the decline this year has been dramatic.  And I know for a fact some of the forum owners who bought points by the thousands were pretty torqued off at the results they were getting.

And speaking of dramatic, "crusader", seriously?   I just reported it as it was:  literally hundreds of forums filtered through Postloop and all of them are dead.  Those pretending that isn't the case are at best misinformed and at worst have an interest in keep up the facade.

Parenthetically, their competitor Contentvania is dead and gone.  The Forum Wheel is still around, but only has five forums listed.

Advertisement: