News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum width?

Started by K33NY, September 01, 2012, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K33NY

Hello,

I would really like help with one thing regarding SMF.
When loging in to my website from smalles PC/Laptops, the whole forum and stuff looks so weird, portal blocks is outside the forum panel thing, and menu buttons stack up on each other etc.

while using the screen resolution i currently use, (1920x1200) everything seems perfect, forum looks good, panels, forum everything, the problem is when going to laptops or screens with smaller resolutions the messy stuff happen.

My forum width percentage is currently at 85% but I would even like to narrow it a bit more down, but then it gets messy on my screen as well :S

Is there something about the widt percentage? and is there a way to make our webpage look the same at a small screen resolution, than like mine?

Chas Large

Can you post a link so we can see the problem?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

K33NY

sure :) http://www.themultigamers.net/index.php

tried again now lowering screen resolution on PC and it really looked messy :S

kat

Look at the portal blocks and move them around, a bit.

As you can see, here:

http://www.themultigamers.net/index.php?theme=1

a bit more clearly, it's those blocks that are squiffy, doncha think?.

If you click on the "-" sign, top-right of the "=TMC= Servers" block, centre, everything magically goes to the right width.

K33NY

to be honest I dont see any changes when I click that widt wise, only thing I see is that the block under it comes higher up :S

but I will check with lower resolution

K33NY

checked now on lower res, and your right, the blocks pop back into the frame, but how do I fix this then?

cus only thing i can change width wise on the portal we are using is the wid of side panel, not front panel, and those blocks are inside the front block :S

K33NY

and why is my theme changed now???

K33NY

never mind the theme, managed to get it back.. but tried changing panel width and nothing happened, tried changing on current theme, forum width then I see the "frame" gets bigger, but block is now further inside forum frame thing.....

Chas Large

I can see the problem (with the home page) when I reduce my browser window down, the blocks don't shrink like the home page does. The forum pages resize correctly.

I see you use Tiny Portal. Maybe in Portal settings there is an option to auto resize with the browser or maybe you have the blocks set at a fixed width. I use Simple Portal and the blocks resize automatically so no matter what size browser or screen, the all fit correctly.

It's definitely a portal issue.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

K33NY

the only thing in settings I can see is Fixed with, 0-100%  but I guess when changing that it wont change WITH the forum itsel :S

K33NY

I found out what caused the problems, its actually the theme! I tried using Standard theme, Curve, and everything looks ok in all resolutions there,

kat

K33NY

Quote from: K@ on September 02, 2012, 01:01:25 PM
Quote from: K33NY on September 01, 2012, 05:16:02 PM
and why is my theme changed now???

Coz the link I gave:

http://www.themultigamers.net/index.php?theme=1

selects the default theme, for you. ;)

yeah I found out :) changed it back, this may sound ike a stupid question, but our mods are now fitted into the theme we are using now, Glacier 2, is it safe to go back to standard theme? or do I have have to uninstall mods? :P

kat

You can switch to any theme. When you install mods, you get the option to install them on other themes, or not, as you desire. :)

K33NY

ah ok :) i will try to fina another theme then :) but if the mods doesnt fit the theme I choose, I will sometimes get an error when installing right? how do I make them fit the theme, I am not good with this at all and usually have a co leader who fixes these stuff, but unfortunately hes never online anymore :S

kat

Ah... Mod's won't install to theme, if you install the themes, after the mods. For logical reasons.

If your forum's new, I'd install the themes you want, first.

Then, you can install mods and they'll install the the themes, if you configure it so-to-do.

Before you do much of anything, read my sig, woncha? ;)

K33NY

we have had SMF now for maybe over a year or so, allso taken many backups frequently, especially when installing new mods, but if I understand you correctly, you say I should uninstall all mods, then change theme, THEN install the mods again?

kat

If your forum's quite new, that's certainly what I'd do, if I was in your place.

As I said, if you install themes after mods, the mods might not show on the new themes.

Some will. But, others won't, depending on what files are edited.

If the mod only edits files in "Sources", they'll be OK. But, if they edit crucial theme files, such as index.template.php, the surely won't.

K33NY

man I tried uninstall mods now, allmost ALL of them get Test Failed :S so I dont dare try even, man am I desperate now cus I cant even create a Html block with Tiny Portal without messing up the site, when I create a html, the FOOTER shows up just under our banner, and the block looks so messed up :(

and my co leader never comes online anymore -.-

kat

How does this sound?

Backup. (Just in case)

Get the LARGE upgrade for the version of SMF that you're using.

If you're using v2.0.2, it's here:

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-2_upgrade.zip

Download that and dearchive it on your Hard disk.

Upload all the files EXCEPT Upgrade.php to your forum, overwriting what's there, now.

In effect, you'll have a virgin forum.

Delete the themes from the "Themes" directory.

Install the themes, again, from scratch.

Once the themes are there, you'll find that all of your mods'll still be in Package Manager.

All you'll need to do, is reapply them.

Advertisement: