Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emanuele

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on September 08, 2012, 04:41:47 AM
Well, in Core Features, don't you need to handle adding/removing of the hooks upon enabling and disabling of the feature??
That's what that page is supposed to do. :P

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on September 08, 2012, 04:41:47 AM
SMF can't handle this, simply because there are hooks that still need to be installed, even when disabling of the Core Feature.  Such as the hooks I've already mentioned:  integrate_admin_include and integrate_core_features
The integrate_core_feature is already included (since you see the action, that means it is properly processed). The integrate_admin_include should be used since I explicitly copied the code in Xml.php (where though a couple of globals are missing).
I'm not sure at the moment why it doesn't work for your since I used SimpleDesk (well, a modified version, but modified in other places) to test it in 2.1 and it enables/disabled without problems. So, as soon as I have my testing computer available, I'll check DP and see what is not working, but now...well, it's time to go buy some food if I want to eat this week! :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

SoLoGHoST

Don't bother checking DP, there were edits that needed to be done to it, that might take a bit of time for you to get around to...  Unless you want the package I have, let me know I can send it to you, but it's not on the DP.net site either, cause I just updated it, and only on my PC at the moment.  The package on the DP.net site and on the SMF Site, only works for SMF 2.0.x, not SMF 2.1.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic here.  But the more I look at the code of SMF 2.1, the more I start to like it! :)

emanuele

I tried to install locally DP (1.1) without caring about the errors but the core feature works fine.
The admin menu will not be displayed in alpha due to a bug (this one), integration hooks are reported as not-installed due to another bug (this commit gives you the proper code[/url]).

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

SoLoGHoST

Ok, you are right, I downloaded the release from the actual GIT HUB instead of this topic, so that explains everything.  Just now redownloaded and re-installed SMF 2.1 from this actual topic, and yes, this fixes everything, along with your recommended edits above.

- Solo

P.S. -> Do I have to purchase GitHub membership in order to Fork it and help with the bug fixes, etc. etc.?  Cause I don't see any way to signup without paying for a membership.

emanuele

The version from github doesn't have few fixes present in this one, while this one has few bugs not present in the one from github...tough call! :P

The very first option on top of the 3 paid plans:
QuoteFree for open source

Unlimited public repositories and unlimited public collaborators

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

SoLoGHoST

Ah ha, just realized I had an account from like a year ago...

NanoSector

Cool! Nice work team :)

Gonna install and test this ASAP :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

redone

Nice work, I will have to fire it up and take it for a test drive. Congrats!

Jntg4

Love this!  I was a week late but I've installed it seamlessly on my local EasyPHP server!
Free Domain Name: http://www.co.cc/?id=167358

butchs

I saw an error in "Subs-Cache.php".  Some of the old $cachedir was not changed.

search for $cachedir

replace with $cache['dir']
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

emanuele

There isn't any Subs-Cache.php in 2.1. ???
And $cachedir is still the variable used, not $cache['dir'].

Can you please report exactly the error? (maybe in the bug reports board? ;))

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

hhy89

Nice work ;)
Congrats!

btw do you need help? :P
Seo4Smf 2.0 - Full Top10 Stats(full top10) - Aligned and Bilateral Child Boards(2li 3lü alt bölümler)
http://www.smfmod.com
http://destek.smfmod.com

TwitchisMental

Well I played around with the alpha for a bit. I am liking it so far.

However one thing has been bugging me. The info center collapse uses jquery(I think) and creates a smooth collapse effect.

Yet when collapsing categories it just instantly collapse no animation what so ever.  Why is this?

emanuele

Quote from: NBK*Twitch on September 09, 2012, 10:25:52 PM
Yet when collapsing categories it just instantly collapse no animation what so ever.  Why is this?
Categories collapsing/expansion has always been a bit particular and always used a page refresh because when a category is collapsed the entire data of the category are not loaded into the page (boards details, last posts, etc.). Of course all this could be converted to something AJAX. Personally I never cared about it because I don't use it (I'm quite selfish if nobody noticed before :P), if there is anyone interested in add this cool feature feel free to fork SMF on github and send a pull request once the job is finished! ;D

Quote from: hhy89 on September 09, 2012, 04:35:51 PM
btw do you need help? :P
There is a lot to do and any help is appreciated!
What to do depends on your interests: bug reports are all public, if you want to squish some serve yourself, if you want to add some new feature the codebase is there, code it and send a pull request (the Next SMF Discussion board holds some ideas for the future, as well as mantis, if you have some other idea maybe it's better to propose it in the Feature Requests board first to let everyone know). ;D

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

SoLoGHoST

First off - You don't need jQuery to make something collapse/expand that is animated and working in all browsers.  Javascript and a bit of CSS will suffice for that just fine!  But, to each their own.  Like I said, I have a method of using JS that will work just perfect, hell, uses the same js from Dream Portal code that I wrote, if that's fine with you guys... but it's whatever...

I am actually quite annoyed at the display of the "MARK ALL MESSAGES AS READ" box (in the BoardIndex.template.php), looks ugly just thrown there, honestly, been working on all of these boxes that are just thrown at the end of sections that offer features for those sections, etc. etc.  Cause this happens again, when you go to create a board:  "ADD BOARD" box thrown at the bottom right-hand side, just dangling there... ughhh!

TwitchisMental

Quote from: emanuele on September 10, 2012, 04:05:31 AM
Quote from: NBK*Twitch on September 09, 2012, 10:25:52 PM
Categories collapsing/expansion has always been a bit particular and always used a page refresh because when a category is collapsed the entire data of the category are not loaded into the page (boards details, last posts, etc.). Of course all this could be converted to something AJAX. Personally I never cared about it because I don't use it (I'm quite selfish if nobody noticed before :P ), if there is anyone interested in add this cool feature feel free to fork SMF on github and send a pull request once the job is finished! ;D

Well that just makes me ask another question lol. Why does it need a full page reload when doing so. I have seen other software like MyBB have a collapse and it doesn't need a page reload. I believe this is the case with IPB aswell.

bloc

To save queries of course. When its collapsed the script doesn't need to fetch the data for it.

If you expand it, it must fetch it/have it already - hence it could be done through AJAX instead.

About animation through javascript: JQuery and Mootools(and others) offers optimised and smooth animation code that will work on all browsers due to heavy and focused development. Own cooked javascript or CSS3 might not. Its just convenient and saves development of these more trivial things. But, using those for animating categories requires that all boards are fetched in the first place, or at least right away through AJAX.

maxg

For Me I've got to say this  real good move forward for the SMF and I am happy with the Theme, because I could see from the the first glance it's something that will be fun to work with and even though it still has a taste of the SMF looks, this is an indication of the trade mark (kinda thing), and yet with all the added features , I find it very useful in fitting most any situation, if customized and or tweaked toward ones own in site on how their site should appeal to their own groups or community. I have days ago started working with this theme of the Version 2.1 Alpha and I'm liking it. And even tough I can see other ways that it could have been done, only leaves me the opportunity to try newer things with it LOL!

If I find and better way. I will implement this and document it on My site and or possibly site like Bloc's or Crip's site! I shall not complain on something done by others, but I may find another way, and this is really what it's all about in MHO! Everyone has their own preferences, and once they implement these, then should then be displayed, rather than expressed as dislikes and negativeness.

I find it better to start out with your likes and work from there on a more positive note!

With this said I should mention that I am very pleased, again with this great move forward>>!

Kind regards,
Maxx

emanuele

Quote from: maxg on September 16, 2012, 09:11:10 AM
Everyone has their own preferences, and once they implement these, then should then be displayed, rather than expressed as dislikes and negativeness.

I find it better to start out with your likes and work from there on a more positive note!
That's very very true! :D

I'd add that the default theme is exactly that: the default theme. Nobody force others to experiment and change things. I know that in the past (and probably still with 2.0) it was sometimes difficult to really make experiments because of the way mods are/were working (i.e. code edits and all the hassles of having to manually edit the themes), though with 2.1 and all the new hooks available, make mods that don't require any code edit will be much, much easier and that should allow themers to be more daring in exploring new ways of present the forum.
Of course to make this scenario true the modders has to take up the challenge and begin to heavily use hooks in their mods. ;)
And that makes me wonder if I should suggest to change the customization guidelines to make mandatory the use of hooks when possible...
* emanuele feels a horde of people coming from behind...
* emanuele runs! :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

bloc

Quote from: emanuele on September 21, 2012, 09:15:30 AM
Quote from: maxg on September 16, 2012, 09:11:10 AM
Everyone has their own preferences, and once they implement these, then should then be displayed, rather than expressed as dislikes and negativeness.

That's very very true! :D

I'd add that the default theme is exactly that: the default theme. Nobody force others to experiment and change things. I know that in the past (and probably still with 2.0) it was sometimes difficult to really make experiments because of the way mods are/were working (i.e. code edits and all the hassles of having to manually edit the themes), though with 2.1 and all the new hooks available, make mods that don't require any code edit will be much, much easier and that should allow themers to be more daring in exploring new ways of present the forum.
Of course to make this scenario true the modders has to take up the challenge and begin to heavily use hooks in their mods. ;)
And that makes me wonder if I should suggest to change the customization guidelines to make mandatory the use of hooks when possible...
* emanuele feels a horde of people coming from behind...
* emanuele runs! :P

Hooray! ;D I will be sure to utilize those possibilities lol.

Advertisement: