News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

I think it's sensible to include them if we're going to have a sidebar option anyway. Styling can be done a million ways, but this suits the current theme IMO. Could change my mind on that though. :D

One thing I think I might try (custom, not default) is a fixed bottom bar for admin menus. CSS changes over the standard drop menu setup would be trivial, and I'm keen to try it for a while and see how well it works.

Kindred

me, on the other hand...   I hate sidebars. I prefer topnav menus with dropdowns. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Well we have both. TBH I'm inclined to think that once a navigation system has to provide lots of possible links, just about any arrangement is going to be a PITA to some degree.

SoLoGHoST

Personally, I've always used the sidebar in SMF.  That is the VERY 1st thing I do when installing SMF.  I change it from the Menu Drop Downs to the Sidebar on the left in the SMF Admin, which affects everything else fortunately!  So, doing away with the SMF Sidebar in the SMF Admin within SMF 2.1 was upsetting to me as I don't like the idea of the Menu Buttons for this.  Cause I got accustomed to the way the sidebar showed all of the sections and links, all at once, which is kinda the way I like to see it.  Outputted on the page.  Ofcourse, it could use improvements done to it, but I still like it outputted onto the actual page.

Anyways, just my 2 cents...

Akyhne

SoLoGHoST: You can change that and a lot of other stuff in Admin -> Current theme -> Member Options.

In Admin -> Current theme -> Member Options -> "Change current options for all members using this theme", you can even change it for current users.

Works for both SMF 2.0.x & 2.1

Herman's Mixen

if you need the side bars for yourself go to Profile --> Look and Layout --> Use sidebar menus instead of dropdown menus when possible
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Antechinus

Gary

Heh. I wondered where that went. :P

If it came down to it, I'd simply have just gotten used to using the dropdowns.

But hey, you learn stuff everyday. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

SoLoGHoST

Wow, ok, it's just been moved...  Nice to know that it still exists in 2.1!

Cheers :)

Antechinus

Yup, it's still there. We removed the little toggle thingy because it seemed pointless. 99% of people choose one or the other and leave it that way, so just having it as a profile option made the most sense. The only people who really use the toggle are the poor sods that have to keep testing everything. :D

Akyhne

Quote from: The Burglar! on October 24, 2012, 04:27:22 PM
if you need the side bars for yourself go to Profile --> Look and Layout --> Use sidebar menus instead of dropdown menus when possible
It's always been there in SMF2.

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on October 24, 2012, 06:53:45 PM
Wow, ok, it's just been moved... 
No

Herman's Mixen

i'll know ;)

some people dont suspect its in their own profile...

cause we like the side bars better than the dropdown's

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Akyhne

Could be interesting to see a vote here on that.

Herman's Mixen

well its a matter of "taste" some like the side bars, some like the dropdowns but its good to have both to set your own "taste"

it doesnt have to be removed its just what the people like to use, so its your own choice what you wanna use or not ;)

Arantor

You could even be daring and try something different again ;)

SoLoGHoST

Wow, I never even noticed it within the profile.  That's sorta my fault for forgetting to be an end-user sometimes...

Akyhne

The top bar is annoying and doesn't give any overview. It's like having a remote where you have to open a cover to see some hidden buttons.

But if it was controllable with key shortcuts like windows programs have, it would be something different. I hate using any kind of mouse.
Some years ago, I worked a lot with a CAD program, called Eplan. It could be controlled 95% with key shortcuts or hotkeys only. I loved it!

Antechinus

Code the shortcuts then. The 2.1 menus already allow access by keyboard.

Akyhne

bloc

Theres lot of "me like" and "annoying" in these latest posts... You can't really just wish it was so and so, and expect others to that DO make actual changes, to share the same vision.

I for one, has long gone stopped listening to individual's wishes and demands. You can get 20 different views on a single feature, and they still don't resonate with your own. :P

Advertisement: