News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

just remember... I'm right, and it you don't agree with me, you're wrong. :P
Unless my wife agrees with you, in which case, she (and you) are right.........

anyways...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Quote from: Bloc on October 25, 2012, 03:14:55 PM
Theres lot of "me like" and "annoying" in these latest posts...

Yeah, and I don't like it and find it annoying. :D

QuoteI for one, has long gone stopped listening to individual's wishes and demands. You can get 20 different views on a single feature, and they still don't resonate with your own. :P

They wont even agree with each other, let alone your own opinion.

Akyhne

Quote from: Bloc on October 25, 2012, 03:14:55 PM
Theres lot of "me like" and "annoying" in these latest posts... You can't really just wish it was so and so, and expect others to that DO make actual changes, to share the same vision.

I for one, has long gone stopped listening to individual's wishes and demands. You can get 20 different views on a single feature, and they still don't resonate with your own. :P
Wrong! What are forums for? To put people together in a... forum. In forums, views are given and discussed on different issues and matters.

And the team of Simple Machines should listen even more to people's needs. I don't tell what I like and what I don't like, because I want to decide what people should like. I do it to tell - in this case - that sidebar menus should stay in SMF. And I do it, because it was one of many things, team members talked about dropping in newer SMF versions.
And if you don't want to listen to people, then why even run a forum?!

Quote from: Kindred on October 25, 2012, 03:22:09 PM
just remember... I'm right, and it you don't agree with me, you're wrong. :P

anyways...
No... you are also wrong :P

Joshua Dickerson

Quote from: Kindred on October 25, 2012, 03:22:09 PM
Smartest thing I've ever read. I have to remember to use that.

Akhyne, I know this should never be written down in a public place, but the customer doesn't know what they want. Ask Apple if the customer knows what they want. The saying "the customer is always right" means, placate them and make them think they are right, but make sure you still do what is right. Of course, that all implies that you are building an exceptional product and supply a great service. Otherwise, you're wrong.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Akyhne

I see it this way:
I start using a forum software. I'm the admin. I'm in control. Using it for months, some tasks seems not to be easy. At this point, I've already gotten ideas on what I want. I seeks for it. Maybe I find it. If not, I make it or get someone to do it.

We are all forum admins in here, ain't we? We use, we think, we act. We're not the normal regular users.
And the users in my forums are not stupid, although they knownothing about what SMF is. But they've seen a WYSIWYG in other software. So they ask me about it. I say "it's comming in the new SMF2" (and then 2 years of waiting lol).
They ask for Youtube embedding, I find the mod for it.

Yeah, even users know what they want.

bloc

If, by your logic Akyhne, a forum is a place where you are allowed to express an opinion - everyone's opinion will matter. If you discuss what brand of beer we should drink - sure. ;D But not if you discuss what features should be in a mod, or in a theme..or in SMF 9.276.

Joshua, very true. :) But since we are not all Apple, then we have to at least assume we are still right. In the end, the success in any product is by how many actually wants and use it. Its not always a sign of quality though, which is the creators point of view(hopefully).

And by that we cannot listen to everybody, even if we wanted to...

KensonPlays

Love this theme more than 2.0 final lol.

Akyhne

Quote from: emanuele on September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM
As some of you may already have noticed, the main repository where SMF 2.1 is being developed is now publicly available at github: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1
Why isn't the github being updated with fixes? I thought developement was only there.

Are you still using some kind of internal tool on sm.org and then only update github now and then?

Bloc, there's nothing wrong in listening to the community, now and then. Maybe even asking with polls what people think of new ideas.

KensonPlays

Quote from: Kcmartz on November 01, 2012, 11:17:24 AM
Love this theme more than 2.0 final lol.
If only I could get the 2.1 theme on 2.0 live site.. lol

Suki

Quote from: Akyhne on November 01, 2012, 11:19:23 AM
Quote from: emanuele on September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM
As some of you may already have noticed, the main repository where SMF 2.1 is being developed is now publicly available at github: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1
Why isn't the github being updated with fixes? I thought developement was only there.

Are you still using some kind of internal tool on sm.org and then only update github now and then?

Please do some search before making any statements...

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 Has 3 branches,

- development branch is where all the new features are added.
- release2.1 is used for bug fixing
- master for reference

Those branches aren't been used directly, all the people who want to work on 2.1 send pull request to one of those branches (either dev or release, never to the master branch), the PR gets reviewed and eventually gets merged to the pertinent branch.

You can fork the repo and create a new branch based on the release2.1 branch, if this branch haven't been updated in some time it doesn't matter, when you send the pull request the one in charge of merging your pull request will do the dirty work for you.

Development is made on each individual account, if you want the bleeding edge development then look at emas or Spuds forks.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

emanuele

Thanks Suki!

The branch that (hopefully) is updated is release-2.1.
Well, I have to admit that in theory we should only add bug fixes, but recently Spuds was a bit absent and so...well, some new feature went in there too... O:) (and probably some more will go in the next "few" days...

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Akyhne

I don't know how Github works. I'm not a developer. I can just see the folders and files aren't updated often on https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1

Akyhne

Btw, I can see my name (and quite a few others) has been removed from the credits. Is this a new policy?

emanuele

That is the most recent "official" version you can get: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/zipball/release-2.1

About the names: as far as I know the same that has always been: in the credits page are listed the members that are on the team while the "current version" is developed (that's what I've been told was the "tradition", and looking at 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 seems true).
Though starting from 2.1 I feel (and I'm not the only one thinking that of course) we'd have to think about something different: the team is no more the "only" (and in certain contexts (theme for example) not even the main) source of contributions. We'll need to find a proper way to thanks all those involved.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Antechinus

Without getting into arguments about policy, personally I don't care about credit for the theme. Most people know where it came from anyway, those that don't probably wont read the credits, and everyone will be totally bored with it and wanting a new theme in a couple of years anyway. :D

Akyhne

If the policy hasn't changed, then all current and former team members are listed.

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

KensonPlays

Quote from: Bryan "Runic" Deakin on November 01, 2012, 09:18:28 PM
except 2.1 is not 2.0
I know, I said it'd be nice. I had to put live site to 2.1A in order to achieve this :P

Antechinus

2.1 Alpha is not ready for use on a live site.

KensonPlays

Quote from: Antechinus on November 02, 2012, 04:08:26 PM
2.1 Alpha is not ready for use on a live site.
It works fine for me? I am fine with it lol. It's just a small site with nobody on it. It's mainly cause I love the theme lol.

Advertisement: