News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emanuele

In human readable words should sound like: if version is not 2.0 then show 1.1.x :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Mstcool, have you checked your forum version? I mean using maintenance. I am surprised to hear that yours is showing update for version 1.1.x. I do not think that is even possible, or is it?

maxg

Just and FYI here , but some web hosting companies Cpanel, script installers show the SMF 1.1.7 as the most stable or latest version, or possible even older versions, But if this what they may be referring to and the latest Version,  if so then they will need to install, then update, or contact the Host!  ( if they know what they doing they can upload and install the SMF 2.0.3 with the installer that come with the SMF ( fresh install ).

Just general Information intended here!

Regards,
Maxx

Kindred

Max... that has nothing at all to do with 2.1 alpha....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

maxg

I did not say it did, I was trying to clear up some above confusion, on the versions, and they had nothing to with 2.1 either!

I know very well where I'm at :)

thank you.

Now you can see why I do not post much here!

regards,
maxx

Arantor

Quote, I was trying to clear up some above confusion, on the versions, and they had nothing to with 2.1 either!

And it added even more confusion :/

maxg

Quote from: Arantor on January 04, 2013, 12:50:09 PM
Quote, I was trying to clear up some above confusion, on the versions, and they had nothing to with 2.1 either!

And it added even more confusion :/
I'm sorry you get so confused, did someone ask you... I don't play your games, your way over everyone's head here or any place you go! :)
I don't care what you do would not want be like you!

regards,
Maxx

Arantor

I'm not confused, I was more worried that everyone else would be confused. Yes, some installers state 1.1.17 as the latest, but that's because of themselves not being particularly up to date - but that's nothing to do with the issue being discussed that the update code in SMF admin panel that sometimes 2.0 series gets confused.

In fact, actually so does 2.1, both have been known to report 1.1.17 as being the latest when it shouldn't.

QuoteI'm sorry you get so confused, did someone ask you...

Nope. This is a public forum, everyone can voice their opinions.

QuoteI don't play your games, your way over everyone's head here or any place you go! :)

Wait, is that a compliment or a back-handed insult? I was voicing my opinion that we had one issue that was related, and then some other stuff came along that would have confused people more than might have been already, that was all. No games, no trickery, no snideness, just the observation that some people would be more confused reading this topic than they would have been before.

QuoteI don't what you do would not want be like you!

Most of the time being like me is actually quite miserable, because people like me spend hundreds of hours making things for other people and we never get much appreciation for the time we've spent in doing what we do. Being like me is not something people should try to emulate, because it's a rather lonely place. (I'm not complaining. I am where I am in my life due to my own choices for the most part. I do what I do so others don't have to. There is something quite acceptable about it all really.)

NanoSector

Quotebut that's nothing to do with the issue being discussed that the update code in SMF admin panel that sometimes 2.0 series gets confused.
I believe you fix that with re-fetching the Simple Machines files, which gets done on a regular basis. Not sure though, could be all wrong... That's for 2.0 though, 2.1 does not have such a fix.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Arantor

Yes, and the files get refetched daily. Except sometimes the wrong file gets fetched.

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: Arantor on January 04, 2013, 05:34:21 PM

Most of the time being like me is actually quite miserable, because people like me spend hundreds of hours making things for other people and we never get much appreciation for the time we've spent in doing what we do. Being like me is not something people should try to emulate, because it's a rather lonely place. (I'm not complaining. I am where I am in my life due to my own choices for the most part. I do what I do so others don't have to. There is something quite acceptable about it all really.)

You are silently loved and appreciated by the masses. You are not in a lonely place but in a crowd of silent admirers. As off topic as that is, it had to be said.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Mstcool

Quote from: ahrasis on January 04, 2013, 07:41:44 AM
Mstcool, have you checked your forum version? I mean using maintenance. I am surprised to hear that yours is showing update for version 1.1.x. I do not think that is even possible, or is it?

I made a test forum and thats the only file I uploaded. So yup its possible. :p

@Emanuele aha thx for making it clear.

@Road Rash Soo true!

EDIT: Also will we be able to install the current curve theme? I like the new one but I would like to have both. So time to time I could change it and stuff. Just Wondering. Yup its too early. But just wondering. :p Thanks!

Kindred

no... the current  curve theme will not work in 2.1 without modification
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Road Rash Jr.

Has the file in the first post been updated since it was released?
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Kindred

no.   New copies can be pulled directly from git
Слaва
Украинi

Mstcool

Ight! Thanks! :) :D

EDIT: Also if you go to choose themes the curves theme isn't changed. I don't think it matters but just pointing that out...:P :) ;) :D 8)!

Road Rash Jr.

I tried out SMF 2.1 today and I am impressed with all the new features and admin controls. I especially liked the addition of auto draft saving. However I could not be it to work either as the admin or a regular member. It was all turned on, permissions set to on and the default of minimum 30 (seconds I guess) was saved. But no matter how long I waited, the draft was not auto saved anywhere I could find it. Also the settings say that when in post you can select and insert a saved draft but there was no command to do so. Only if I was in profiles and I clicked on edit the manually saved draft, it toke me to the message board.

Played with installing various of the mods and themes for SMF 2.xx and the all seemed to install without errors and function as they should.

Good job people, keep it up. I think this one is a keeper  ;D

Road Rash Jr.

While you're thinking of it can you do something with those up and down arrows? They are extremely hard to see especially when they are on a light background.
Much appreciated.

glennmckenna

gave it a quick try it looks quiet good it does
tried an smf 2.0 theme on it but the theme had some errors

Arantor

Yeah, 2.0 themes aren't going to work properly on 2.1.

Advertisement: