News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

In short...  No.

Aside from anything else, we are already in beta and will not be making any major changes like that.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SoLoGHoST

Yes, I have never tried integrating SMF into Bootstrap.  Thank you Mr. Obvious!  Float Left = float: left, lefttext = text-align: left.  Pretty sure the point is clear bro!  Maybe you are missing a point here?

Sure, it's all good Kindred.  Just a thought.

Arantor

Except when you're in RTL when floatleft has float: right defined. I don't see any point I'm missing, but I see several you might be.

rtl.css begins with:

.floatright
{
float: left;
}
.floatleft
{
float: right;
}
.clear_left
{
clear: right;
}
.clear_right
{
clear: left;
}
.righttext
{
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: left;
}
.lefttext
{
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: auto;
text-align: right;
}

SoLoGHoST

OMG, take a chill pill bro!  You don't think Bootstrap supports RTL?  I'm done here!

Antes

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on January 25, 2015, 06:27:33 PM
I don't understand the complication of using Bootstrap?  Hell, can basically do it in a theme for SMF, Since all SMF is templates pretty much.  It basically would make a great Theme IMHO.  Maybe a few minor changes in source code, removing floatleft and floatright, changing clear to clearfix instead.

Hell, all of my mods seem more complicated to me than creating a Bootstrap Theme for SMF.

Its very time consuming job, is it really hard? no... but moving SMF 2.1 to Bootstrap is major problem for everyone. I'm not saying SMF 2.1 is 90% compatible with SMF 2.0 but still some generic mods working well with SMF 2.1. Also I didn't find any support for RTL in Bootstrap which is very unacceptable thing from SMF.

floatleft/right clear_left/right left/righttext is very important parts to maintain RTL, they cannot be moved.

SoLoGHoST

Even if Bootstrap had no support for RTL, you can still implement the same css file that SMF is currently using for RTL (just change class names).  Or use the following:  https://github.com/morteza/bootstrap-rtl on top of the original bootstrap.  In any case, not to drag a subject through the mud here, a theme could surely be created using Bootstrap rather easily, I'm sure.  And since responsive design has been the main focus of bootstrap, this would've been ideal to base SMF's default theme on, IMHO.

Kindred

I however disagree with your opinion on the matter...

:P

but - by all means - go ahead and make a bootstrap theme....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

One thing I'm strongly against yet I'm truly sorry to say but most of the people in SMF (includes some of current developers) don't want to understand, depending on 3rd party too much makes your line of work a lot harder. You start to wait fixes from other people, because you expand the things you are using, which trust me every single new component added to your software not just designed for one thing, increase the risk of getting exposed to different type of vulnerability. So instead taking whole bootstrap & bootstrap rtl, I think its better to sit down and write your own CSS.

stmaxx

Quote from: Antes on January 26, 2015, 06:52:17 AM
One thing I'm strongly against yet I'm truly sorry to say but most of the people in SMF (includes some of current developers) don't want to understand, depending on 3rd party too much makes your line of work a lot harder. You start to wait fixes from other people, because you expand the things you are using, which trust me every single new component added to your software not just designed for one thing, increase the risk of getting exposed to different type of vulnerability. So instead taking whole bootstrap & bootstrap rtl, I think its better to sit down and write your own CSS.
Yes! :)

It's also best to try an fit the situation you are in, rather than change the situation..

I really think ideas a are great, but at this point big changes will only hold things back!
The looks can still be changed by doing to own magic, but it's best we stick stably and security and a solid RC. IMHO
and if is not broke, don't fix it!

regards,
Maxx

Arantor

Shocking as this might be, I agree with Antes.

Kindred

which is yet another reason that we have avoided many third party stuff.

The exception, in the case of 2.1 is the editor and the jquery...
the first because -- our attempt to code a good wysiwyg editor internal to the code was problematic and the new one, even though it is third party, is well done
the second because -- well, jquery.
Слaва
Украинi

SoLoGHoST

What about Spam bots?  Has this been worked on at all in SMF 2.1?  Reason I ask, is I experience an enormous amount of Spam on any SMF Site that I put up.  Shortly after posting a link anywhere on the web to the SMF Forum, it automatically gets bombarded with outrageous spam posts.  Has this been given any thought in SMF 2.1?  Yes, I realize there are Mods that can help reduce this spam, tho none are bullet proof.  But I have noticed that the ReCaptcha that google offers is one of the best ways to protect a form from being filled out via Spam bots.

Arantor

There are additional measures in 2.1 for anti spam purposes. reCAPTCHA will not be implemented in the core in line with general policy for third party services (and before anyone says the word PayPal, do not even go there, this is what is called an exception to core policy... and reaffirms every reason why third party services are not supported in core)

Kindred

As for spam mods...  with the exception of the spam database update a month or two ago, I have not had a single successful spammer registration in 2 years...
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Yes but you're not running an out-of-the-box setup which I believe is the point SoLo is making.

Kindred

However the success of the spam database a little while ago indicates that the anti-spam mods that I have are actually doing only a little bit of the work whereas the questions are doing the majority of the heavy lifting... Which of course then leads to the statement that the enhanced question ability having multiple answers and or multiple languages is still the primary and best defense
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

stmaxx

Just asking, but has anyone really been able to control over the Spam bots and still keep your site opened to world, to be viewed! and another issue is countless members that may get in and never post.

What is your reason for wanting to join our community?
That's the question a contact form type thing or mod?

Or dealing with spam bots!

regards,
maxx

SoLoGHoST

I completely disabled Registration for almost an Entire Month now at the Dream Portal site, that runs SMF (And yes, still getting Spam, but I suppose from Bots that have joined over a month ago).  Reasons, were I had over 100 spam bots posting all kinds of things.  Having installed a mod, Stop Forum Spam, did help a lot, however, crazy as it is now almost at 1 Million Spam bots blocked, in approx. 6 months that I have had it installed.  Also, there are still spam bots getting through, as I had to delete over 500 posts from Spam Bots.  And please don't even mention this being a security issue with Dream Portal, as this is happening on all of my SMF Sites, without Dream Portal, everywhere.  I just hope that SMF 2.1 has some kind of improvement over this.  Doesn't start to happen, until I post a link to my site though, since I suppose, bots don't know it exists until than.

Arantor

This is why we set up anti spam Q&A with good questions before we turn registration on...

Advertisement: