Who's Online Shows nonmembers sending members emails

Started by Lady Seershuh, September 05, 2012, 04:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Seershuh

Because of a particularly malicious hacker (ex-boyfriend), I had to ban & delete ALL my site members for safety.
Under permissions I have disabled private emails between members (there is only me so I guess it's maybe a blog now, not a forum).  I have disabled registration also.  Dedicated server did nothing to keep him out of my site.

Now no one but me (admin) has permission to do anything but read what I post. 

Yet recently under "Who's Online" I am seeing IP's that say "sending email to another member".......

How can this be? ( I keep banning the IP's and different ones show back up esp very late at night with same 'action' message under "Who's Online")  I am changing my password almost everyday with difficult passwords.  I don't see anything obviously messed up on my site........yet.

The past month I've received 3-4 messages that SMF was unable to connect with my database - I am wondering how often SMF attempts to connect with my database - is it a daily action?

I checked the Full Header or Page Source on the database error message and my ex-boyfriend's name is located near the beginning and again at the end of every error email I receive about my site along with numbers, etc.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? 

This guy has already ruined one of my computers with 6 rootkit programs he embedded w/o my knowledge; I've had to get new computer, change server (dedicated server got tired of repairing my site & dropped me; I've changed internet provider, got new modem & router, different anti-virus software, have real time virus, malware, spyware, anti-root kit programs which obviously aren't working on my SMF site.

This psycho has gotten into my email accounts & changed passwords, gotten into my Twitter acc't once, attempted to get into my cell phone account, had to get phone harassment complaint against him, I reported him to police for all this PLUS physical threats to kill me, but had no proof so NY judge wouldn't give me more than 30 day protective order despite his continued cyberbullying of me......  Great system.

I'm at my wits' end and now I'm seeing his name and codes etc that I have no idea what they mean at beginning and end of SMF database connection error message in my email inbox.

I cannot pay but is there a kind-hearted soul out there that could just tell me does this "sending email to another member" message means he's in my site again?

and.... Is there any other way to stop member emails other than the membergroup permissions?

Nothing is showing up on the error log or anywhere I look on the site.

I saw one of his friends' names in one error message email header re: my site but not other ones.
I have proof another of his friends helped hack my site in June even thru dedicated server known for having good security system - they were bragging on Twitter about it......they are all computer savy, hackers.

If someone could just answer the questions about what this means or how to completely disable PM's on the site
I'd be eternally grateful.

Chas Large

Did you change your FTP and Host CP passwords? If he still has the FTP passwords he can change files and hack to his hearts content.

Did you change the database password? !!! Care here as this needs to be changed via the CP mySql settings first, then in the forum using repair settings, not something for the faint hearted.

It's gonna be really difficult to support this if they guy is a hacker and has any personal details that may give him an inroad into your host. Like, he maybe set up another control panel account or some such so that no matter how many times you change things he can change it back.

If it were me, I'd change web host and start afresh, maybe with just a blog. :-\
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Lady Seershuh

THANK YOU SO MUCH! 

With just a little bit of help from my server, I changed my FTP, CP and SQL database passwords and am back online.

My site (blog) is now performing as it should, instead of freezing me out or showing me an error page on my server.

I am rather new to all this and it is exciting to learn more and more about how SMF and sites operate (altho much of it still looks like gibberish, I am beginning to recognize and understand some of it).

THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH!   :D

Chas Large

You're very welcome, we're all happy to help and glad you got it sorted. Just keep those passwords safe and don't e-mail them to anyone.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: