Problem When Creating New Topic In Brand New Forums

Started by 0wn7g3, September 18, 2012, 05:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0wn7g3

Basically after installing the latest SMF from scratch when I go to post in the forum it's a mess like in the picture below. I deleted the forums and re-installed them again but it was the same. It also doesn't matter what theme I'm using on the forums. Would anybody be able to help me?

Cheers  :)

http://s1058.photobucket.com/albums/t402/elevatemyband/

kat

When you uploaded the files, did you use Filezilla, by any chance?

If you did, try looking at the "Transfers" menu. Change the "Transfer type" to "binary", not "auto", which is the default, and try, again.

It's a "feature" in Filezilla, I'm afraid.

0wn7g3

Yeah I've been using FileZilla, and oh dear.. does this mean I have to delete and re-install the forums again? thanks for pointing out the problem tho :)

kat

Try uploading all of the files, again. Forget about settings.php and install.php, for now.

Once the files are all up, see if it works. If not, you might well need to start-over, I'm afraid.

I dunno what it is, with Filezilla. This has been a problem for ages and they won't fix it, coz they deny there's even a problem, from what I can make-out. :(

MrPhil

I can't tell from your image what happened. Is it that everything else is fine, but images are corrupted? If so, it may be (as the Furry One suggested) that FZ transferred images in ASCII (text) mode instead of binary. You can try again transferring just the images, being careful to force "binary" mode. If it's limited to just attachments and avatars, that reduces the work load.

FZ is known to have problems selecting the right transfer mode when in "auto" mode, especially for files which do not have a filetype extension. This causes horrendous problems when people use FZ to transfer attachments and avatars, because their obfuscated (hashed) names have no extension. Many an SMF backup has been ruined this way.

You can force "binary" for all files, so long as you're aware what format your .php and other "text" files are in (should match your server: Linux for Linux, Windows for Windows). You will have problems if you have a Windows format .php file (CRLF line ends) and upload it in binary to a Linux server (\n line ends) and vice-versa.

Advertisement: