Responsive Design for Forums

Started by Sunburned Goose, September 25, 2012, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquagrrl

Meant to add . . . I'll strip out the site specific look (logo, bg) and upload to github sometime this week.

AMWebby

OK. I wasn't talking about a bridge but a portal mod for SMF like TinyPortal. I'd still be interested in your templates to see how they would work with such a plug in. Let me know once its on github (and the address!)

andrew55

aquagrrl - would also to see the files. Please let us know once its on github.

aquagrrl

Sorry for the delay, I'm still trying to figure out how to make it so it can be easy to access since I did end up modifying more than just the theme files, and it's reliant on mods. I need to take a closer look at how mods are handled before I can figure out what exactly needs to go on github. But I haven't forgotten, just delayed a bit.

Antechinus

My 2c: just post it up as is and tell people which modes you have installed. If they want to adapt it to something else, that's their problem. :)

Note to staff: IMHO this is more Gfx & Templates, or perhaps Coding Discussion, than Chit Chat.

ugly

I've been working on one.  I only really made it for a small community so I really don't know how well it works yet (the server is having problems right now so I couldn't upload it to let others test it).  And, I also don't actually have a mobile phone, so I could only really test with Opera's mobile emulator.  I've played around with it on a localhost and it seems to work.

It mostly uses @media queries and does hide things for narrower views.  That really seems to be the only workable solution right now without some kind of massive overhaul.  And I wanted to keep messing around with the PHP to a minimum.  It also eventually breaks down when it gets too narrow (around 300px wide).

Seems to work in all modern browsers (but I haven't been able to test thoroughly so there's bound to be some quirks).  Starts to look worse (well, worse than it already does) in IE9 and IE8 since I use some CSS gradients and other unsupported effects.  It uses respond.js to get IE8 to work with the media queries.

I don't know if it's good enough to release or for any widespread use.  I just made it hoping it would be good enough for the limited usage of the small community I post with.  But since it doesn't look like there is much in the way of responsive theme options I thought I'd put it out there.

aquagrrl

I finally tried my theme out on a default install, and I was pleasantly surprised that it worked fairly well. I'm going to remove the branding and move the name of the forum back to the left corner, then post on github. Still might take me a few days to get that far though.

aquagrrl

Okay, if anyone is interested, I have the theme up on github. https://github.com/tamiweiss/responsif
I had to make some changes to work across a default SMF install. You can see it in action at http://responsif.terminus13.com

I want to reiterate, it's not finished, hence the reason it's on github. I will work on it as I have time, but as this thread has shown, it takes me some time to get around to working on things.

Antechinus

S'ok. I'd be inclined to drop some of the crud on board and message index on small screens. Trying to keep it too much default SMF just makes for a jumbled and illegible mess IMHO. I prefer to strip it right down and keep it in a couple of clean lines. Much less scrolling required, and far easier to read.

forumrowerowe

I modify Flagrant theme to be semi responsive, result: hxxp:forumrowerowe.bydgoszcz.pl [nonactive]

Advertisement: