News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Setting up welcome email and email activation

Started by jobey, September 26, 2012, 03:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobey

Hi,

Could anybody tell me how to set up these two things.... i have looked for an email template mod but only found one for 1.0 version of smf. Thanks for any suggestions

kat

You can edit EmailTemplates.english.php, in the default theme's "languages" directory, for that.

Keep a copy of the original file, as a backup, obviously. ;)

I'm just gonna post, here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=3.0 because I think it'd be good to have that as a standard feature of SMF. :)

stylusss

Quote from: jobey on September 26, 2012, 03:22:48 AM
Hi,

Could anybody tell me how to set up these two things.... i have looked for an email template mod but only found one for 1.0 version of smf. Thanks for any suggestions

Where's the one for 1.x version found?
For top-notch server quality and expertise, visit CoreISP.net

Kindred

this one is for 2.0
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2926
(you will have to use the advanced, emulate version feature, but it should install into 2.0.2 with no problems)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jobey

Quote from: K@ on September 26, 2012, 04:51:49 AM
You can edit EmailTemplates.english.php, in the default theme's "languages" directory, for that.

Keep a copy of the original file, as a backup, obviously. ;)

I'm just gonna post, here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=3.0 because I think it'd be good to have that as a standard feature of SMF. :)

Im struggling to find this file....i dont see it in the languages directory.

The mod that was mentioned does not seem to work  either  :-\

Shambles

jobey

I can find the languages file easily enough.... but there does not seem to be any email template within it..

jobey

This is what i see...

BoardIndex.template.php   
GenericMenu.template.php   
index.php   
index.template.php   
licence.txt   
Settings.template.php   
theme_info.xml

Shambles

jobey

I have now located the file  :)

Thanks.

I have no experience of html and at the mo the email activation links etc need to be inserted.

Is there a demo anywhere that i could read and basically follow the same procedure but insert my own content?

Shambles

Have you set up the standard email activation/welcome configuration yet?

Admin > Members > Registration > Settings

... "Method of registration employed for new members"  [email activation]

... "Send welcome email to new members"  [tick]

To change the content or layout of the activation/welcome emails, just edit the text of the file that you now can find ;)

jobey

The email activation and welcome email have been set up.

When i view the text that is in the template...... it does not appear when the welcome/activation email i sent.

There is simply a ´˝welcome to˝ and ˝regards from˝ text. In the template is tells people to follow a link to activate. This text is not in the welcome email though.

Shambles

That is spooky, though it has been reported to sm.org before... somewhere.

Consider having a go with this mod then. Might help...

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2926

jobey

Thanks for the link. I have uploaded it before and it wouldnt install as it is not for version 2? Is there a way around this?

kat

BACKUP!!!

Then, when you go to install it, select "Emulation" from the "Advanced" section.

jobey

When i go to install it there is an ˝install˝ button...........where is the advanced or emulation option?

Shambles

On the bottom right hand side of the "browse packages" screen

jobey

jobey

I maybe being really stupid..... but i just cannot understand how to edit the welcome email.
  I have emulated the email editor but the welcome email has not changed - is it supposed to?
  Do i have to input text into the various templates to change this...... if so, where do i put the text? Is there a demo anywhere?

Thanks

kat

If you have hassles with a mod, you'll get the best help in the mod's support topic.

On the mod's download page, you'll see:

If you click that, it'll take you to that topic. :)

srs

If the suggested mod package won't work in SMF version 2.0.4 (and following the advice above does NOT produce the install button) then how do I modify the four language files I have so that new members are advised to modify their profile to customise their layout to suit their own requirements?

Any advice on which entries in the language files need changing - and how will be appreciated. (I am not a PHP programmer).

Thanks

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: