News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Error Log

Started by tacticalguy, September 27, 2012, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacticalguy

This is what shows up sometimes when I reload my page:

Performance Warning

The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

In my error log, it shows:
September 25, 2012, 10:21:33 pm
2350ac44e4feb746b5ce2f66c34ca66b
Type of error: Critical
http://sentinelsofflorida.com/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile;u=1;save
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Matthew K.

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Make sure your forums attachments directory is at least 755 and possibly even 777.

Shambles

Also, the search feature on sm.org has soooo many solutions to this issue. Why are folk so averse to trying it  ::)

tacticalguy

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on September 27, 2012, 11:44:52 AM
How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

Make sure your forums attachments directory is at least 755 and possibly even 777.
Current Attachment Directory size is 7.13kb
Is that what you meant? Should it be larger?

Matthew K.

No...you need to change the directory file permissions.

tacticalguy

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on September 27, 2012, 12:37:41 PM
No...you need to change the directory file permissions.
Sorry to ask what may seem like stupid questions here. I'm tech stupid. Where do I find that? Under what menu?

Matthew K.

Did you bother to click the link I posted? Apparently not...

tacticalguy

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on September 27, 2012, 03:56:56 PM
Did you bother to click the link I posted? Apparently not...
Sorry, I didn't recognize it for what it was.

Just looked through the mods you authored. VERY impressive. Which one changes the directory permissions?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Matthew K.

Haha why thank you! But Kindred is right. That was the link I was referring to...

tacticalguy

Okay, I read over that. I'm not sure that it's applicable to my situation since I'm not using a server with a Unix system, I'm doing this from my home PC. If anyone would like to further elucidate, I'm positively all ears.

Matthew K.

Every OS has file permissions...trust me.

tacticalguy

Okay, I finally figured out what you were talking about. I did get into my file permissions. The forum attachment directory shows chmod: 777. I assume that's correct?

Kays

If you're still showing the original error. Then that's not correct.

First try 755 and see if that clears the error. If not try 775.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

tacticalguy

Quote from: Kays on September 30, 2012, 04:25:02 PM
If you're still showing the original error. Then that's not correct.

First try 755 and see if that clears the error. If not try 775.

Interestingly enough, I haven't seen that error show up now, in at least 24 hours. Keeping fingers crossed! :)

Kays

Cool. :)

Keep an eye on it for a while and if thing are still fine then please mark this as being solved.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

tacticalguy

And there it is again. The same thing.

Performance Warning

The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

What am I missing here?

Kindred

hmmm... what is your cache level setting?

Also, confirm that the cache directory and the avatar and Attachment UPLOAD directories are also writable (note that in 2.0.x there can be multiple attachments directories)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tacticalguy

Quote from: Kindred on October 01, 2012, 03:13:40 PM
hmmm... what is your cache level setting?

Also, confirm that the cache directory and the avatar and Attachment UPLOAD directories are also writable (note that in 2.0.x there can be multiple attachments directories)
Okay, I just set them to write. Let's see if I continue to get the same error. The cache level is 1.

tacticalguy

Yup, same error. How do I adjust the chmod value?

Advertisement: