News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Error Log

Started by tacticalguy, September 27, 2012, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacticalguy

Okay, so now, I'm starting to get a little upset. When I went to downlioad and install a mod, this what I got, today. Keep in mind that I've been able to download mods until this occurred. What fresh circle of Hell have I descended into now??

Kindred

Quote from: tacticalguy on October 22, 2012, 03:02:56 PM
Okay, so now, I'm starting to get a little upset. When I went to downlioad and install a mod, this what I got, today. Keep in mind that I've been able to download mods until this occurred. What fresh circle of Hell have I descended into now??

What is what you get?
You either missed an attachment or a paste.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tacticalguy

Quote from: Kindred on October 22, 2012, 03:04:11 PM
Quote from: tacticalguy on October 22, 2012, 03:02:56 PM

What is what you get?
You either missed an attachment or a paste.
You're right. This what it shows:
QuoteYou cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Kindred

I believe we ave already addressed this.

Make sure that your packages and packages/temp directories are the correct writable chmod permissions. 755, 775, or 777 depending on your server config.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tacticalguy

Well, I spoke to someone from GoDaddy today about this again. He said that since I'm using a Windows based OS and not Linux that I'm unable to do more with my chmod settings other than to make them writeable and readable. I can't assign specific values, in other words. He also said that I may have created a conflict since I set up MySQL through this and PHP doesn't seem to work as well with Windows based OS as it does Linux. So.... I'm now in a spot.

Kindred

I'd say get a real host...:(
Слaва
Украинi

MrPhil

Do you use other Windows-only software (.Net, Access, ASPX, etc.) that makes it easier to stay on Windows, or do you have the option to move to a Linux server? I would think that NoDaddy offers Linux servers, and hopefully you can get credit for the balance on your Windows account.

tacticalguy

Quote from: MrPhil on October 23, 2012, 09:59:32 PM
Do you use other Windows-only software (.Net, Access, ASPX, etc.) that makes it easier to stay on Windows, or do you have the option to move to a Linux server? I would think that NoDaddy offers Linux servers, and hopefully you can get credit for the balance on your Windows account.
No, I don't use any of that Windows only software. I don't seem to be able to find anything about GoDaddy using any Linux servers. Looks like if I was to run that, I'll have to pony up the money to buy one, myself.

Kindred

or go to an actually decent host....
Слaва
Украинi

tacticalguy

So, I'm dead in the water, huh? Great.

MrPhil

I just went to godaddy.com and looked at the page, and it says they offer both Linux and Windows servers.

Of course, lots of people run SMF on Windows servers every day (including at NoDaddy), so it's quite possible. You just haven't hit the right permissions incantations, or you set the wrong ones (made directories read-only to PHP), or you're missing a directory or two. I think if you search this forum you'll find discussion specific to your host, as well as to the error message you're getting.

SMF (through PHP) needs to be able to write to any of the directories. Ask your host if the default permissions won't allow it, and if so, how to change permissions to turn off Read-Only for PHP. Note that I don't use Windows servers and I don't host with NoDaddy, so I can't tell you any specifics of what to do.

tacticalguy

Quote from: MrPhil on October 25, 2012, 08:57:00 AM
I just went to godaddy.com and looked at the page, and it says they offer both Linux and Windows servers.

Of course, lots of people run SMF on Windows servers every day (including at NoDaddy), so it's quite possible. You just haven't hit the right permissions incantations, or you set the wrong ones (made directories read-only to PHP), or you're missing a directory or two. I think if you search this forum you'll find discussion specific to your host, as well as to the error message you're getting.

SMF (through PHP) needs to be able to write to any of the directories. Ask your host if the default permissions won't allow it, and if so, how to change permissions to turn off Read-Only for PHP. Note that I don't use Windows servers and I don't host with NoDaddy, so I can't tell you any specifics of what to do.

Thanks, you gave me some starting points.

Advertisement: