Defining moderators

Started by Mynamehere, September 27, 2012, 03:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mynamehere

Hi all,

I've been trying to make some groups of moderators, basically, for each subsection I want to be able to assign a moderator.

I've created a number of moderator groups, but how do I set the boards for which they do, and do not have rights to moderate?

Of course, all mods must ALSO have access to all the boards standard members can be active in, AND they must have access to a staff section.

Haven't been able to find this in the manual...

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

In the board setting you can set moderator for each board.

Mynamehere

I've been looking at that. However, when I go to board settings, I get the list of categories and boards. Then, when I click edit I am brought to a field where I can edit the permission profile for the entire board, which means: for ALL groups.

If I choose permissions in the board settings, I am brought to permission profiles, but it then says "Permission profile standard" not the groupname I want to add...

The routing is kind of confusing. Is there a stepbystep guide, starting from creating the usergroup, creating the permission maks for the group and then assigning the group to boards?

kat

Have a look in Admin>Boards>Modify boards.

In there, click "Modify", beside a board.

On the new page, scroll down to "Moderators:" and enter the name of the moderator in the box, to the right of that. :)

Mynamehere

Lol,

that's a LOT simpler than I had expected!

Does this mean that this individual has automatically gained the moderator rights for this forum, but is still a regular member elsewhere?

Or is he automatically added to the group moderators?

Important to know, as I want all moderators to have access to a moderator-subforum, where they can discuss on whether and how to moderate particular discussions.

kat

I have to confess, when I started my SMF forum, that didn't seem entirely logical, to me either. ;)

But, if you start with the premise of "I just created a board, now I need a moderator", it is kinda logical, really. :)

Arantor

The problem is that creating board moderators like that does not automatically add them to a group wherein you can set them up with a special board. Though I'd argue the moderation centre should do a lot of that stuff anyway.

kat

Very true.

On most of the sites I admin, we've just created another membergroup and put all of the moderators in that.

Mynamehere, I think it is right to say that board moderator is limited to the assigned board only. However, those in moderator group has a wider access. I haven't test this but it's logical. Likewise, global moderator has widest access.

If you create a board for certain membergroup only, the moderator can have access unless they are moderator for board only. You may test this. But as Arantor says you should be able to manage that in moderation center.

I myself need to test this just to confirm.  ::)

kat

What I did, was make a "Moderators" board and made all the moderators moderators of that board. :)

Yes. I agree with K@. I think that will solve it.

Mynamehere

Yep. This works.

Now, to take it to another level:

Can I assign someone as a moderator to a board and ALSO give him the right to decide who has access to it (read/write/other)?

kat

Only by giving each moderator his own membergroup and going to Admin>Boards to set up those permissions, on a board-by-board basis.

Advertisement: