News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Email welcome/activation problem

Started by jobey, October 01, 2012, 01:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobey

I have got my forum pretty much the way i want it.... only thing that needs work is the emails to members and activation emails - i cannot figure out how to edit these and do not want to destroy my site in the process.
  I have tried the emulating the editor but  am still pretty clueless.
  Anyone interested?

Sir Osis of Liver

They're in /Themes/default/languages/EmailTemplates.english.php.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

jobey

I know.... but i am not sure how to edit them without making a mess of it..... is there a demo anywhere?

jobey

I have looked in the files you suggested. I can see text but when a welcome email is sent it does not contain any of it. I could do with somebody who finds these things easy.... because at the moment i am very confused  :-[

emanuele

Then attach your EmailTemplate.english/whateverlanguage.php and write down which email you want to change (exactly, better if you post the actual text of one of those emails) and how.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

jobey

Thankyou for replying .... not sure if you meant post my template on the forum, but i have attached it in this message.

When an actual welcome email is sent to a member all it reads is 'Regards, the forums team'. So i have no idea what is happening to the rest of it.

Thanks for any advice

Chris

emanuele

Please attach the file EmailTemplate.english.php or EmailTemplate.{yourlanguage}.php that you find in /themes/default/languages and that contains the email templates. Attach it "as it is", and not pasted into a doc or other file formats.

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

jobey

Im not sure how to attach the page/file..... do you mean to provide a web address link?

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

jobey

Thanks.

I have already tried using the emulating the editor. Nothing seems to happen when i emulate it (is it supposed to?). Welcome emails remain the same after using it.

emanuele

Quote from: jobey on October 02, 2012, 09:02:23 AM
Im not sure how to attach the page/file..... do you mean to provide a web address link?
How did you create the doc file above?

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

jobey

I copied and pasted it into a word file.... then attached it

jobey

The email template problem is still ongoing. I also have a couple of other very minor jobs to do on my site. If anyone would like to be paid for these, please contact me.

Looking

Feel free to contact me with what you need if you have not found someone yet. Thanks.

emanuele

Quote from: jobey on October 02, 2012, 10:08:50 AM
I copied and pasted it into a word file.... then attached it
To copy it you have browsed to that file through cpanel (I suppose) instead of opening the file you have also the option to download it.
Downloading it and attaching it here was the way to go.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

jobey

My forum members currently get this message when they receive the welcome email :

QuoteRegards,
The Beauty Snug Forums Team.
--SMF-edfb49d34fe2a9d0522fa3add9e9461e
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Regards,
The Beauty Snug Forums Team

Anybody have any advice on what to do?

Kindred

And this is what I guessed... your error message indicated not UTF-8... but ISO

and so...

Quote from: Kindred on October 03, 2012, 07:49:13 AM
in your case you will probably be looking for /Themes/default/languages/EmailTemplates.english.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jobey

Angelina Belle

It looks like you are receiving plenty of free support.  So I will move this to support, and do my best to merge with the support topic you created. I hope you don't mind.

You are always free to start a new topic to request paid help with this again later.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Kindred

Quote from: jobey on October 03, 2012, 10:37:56 AM
Like this?

no....   I don't think you are actually reading what we're typing that is an html page, which you have apparently saved from your browser as a php file.
I asked about /Themes/default/languages/EmailTemplates.english.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: