News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Email welcome/activation problem

Started by jobey, October 01, 2012, 01:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobey

I am actually reading everything that you are writing.

I am a complete novice at this, so things that are very simple to you are not to me.

Thankyou for your help. I will get in touch with somebody who is more skilled than myself.

Sorry for bothering you  :-X

Kindred

jobey,

being a newbie is fine.
We all started off somewhere.

The problem is that we are asking you questions and you are not answering them... or you answer them with something completely irrelevant.

I asked you to check a specific file. I gave you the file name and the path...
If you don't know how to get to that file, then ask about that...   don't just include something which you think might be similar (but is not specifically what we asked for)

To be clear, when we ask you to look at, or include, a file - you go into your site/server using either FTP or the server's file manager and get a copy of the file that way...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jobey

Ok, i apologise.

I can go into the file you asked about.

You asked me to download it..... where is the option to download?

I can read the file and its contents but it does not seem to have any relevance to the welcome email that is sent.

Kindred

how are you accessing the file? via file manager or ftp?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jobey

I am accesing the file through the languages file on my forum site (after clicking modify themes, i look in the themes index)

Kindred

that is not either of the ways I asked you to look at the file...
Слaва
Украинi

jobey

Angelina Belle

Jobey,

There is some documentation of this at
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Registration_-_How_do_I_edit_the_registration/welcome_email%3F

To make such a change, you would have to download it to your PC, using FTP or file manager, edit it, and then upload it up to the correct forum directory again.

An easier option is to use a mod for editing the email template.  You would install this, and then follow the instructions to change it http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2926

I hope this helps.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Kindred

Angelina,

Part of the problem appears to be that either
-- his file is corrupted
-- there is some other problem with the mail-send.

Quote from: jobey on October 03, 2012, 09:54:13 AM
My forum members currently get this message when they receive the welcome email :

QuoteRegards,
The Beauty Snug Forums Team.
--SMF-edfb49d34fe2a9d0522fa3add9e9461e
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Regards,
The Beauty Snug Forums Team

Anybody have any advice on what to do?
Слaва
Украинi

Angelina Belle

I'm Sorry, Kindred. Jobey is getting two different kinds of advice, and I was responding only to one branch of that advice -- the one to do with finding, examining, and changing the email template file.
The other has to do with determining whether he has the correct template file for the character set he has chosen for his forum.

I don't know anything about what causes UTF8/ISO character set mixup in a brand-new SMF installation, so I avoided adding anything to your advice on that subject.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Kindred

yeah....  I think someone merged two different threads... :)
Слaва
Украинi

jobey

Thanks for the advice..

I have tried the mod without success and i dont feel comfortable with downloading, editing and then uploading. With my limited knowledge i would likely bring the site down!

I think i will try and pay somebody to deal with this issue as i think if the file is corrupted, its a safer choice  :)

Storman™

Would it be ok if I sign up and see the email received for myself ?

jobey

retiredat44

I have the same exact problem, when me, the admin, gets an email saying a new member has joined, it says click the link, and there is no link to click...
I have had my account for many years and my squad is looking into using my forum, because our old host has left the Squad. But, now with this problem,,, it's all on hold. If they are impressed enough it will most change to a pay account, like we had for many years.

why doesn't the email include a link to click ??

mrintech

Quote from: retiredat44 on October 26, 2012, 06:11:13 PM

why doesn't the email include a link to click ??

I will suggest you to contact your webhost and ask them is there any SPAM filter in place? A filter from Webhost side is responsible for link removal in all outgoing Emails

mrintech

Quote from: jobey on October 03, 2012, 05:37:57 PM

I think i will try and pay somebody to deal with this issue as i think if the file is corrupted, its a safer choice  :)

I missed this thread

When I registered at your forum, I was receiving all Emails normally.

Although, one day your forum Email server was down for TOO many hours  :o

I have seen lots of complaints about your current webhost. If problem continues I will suggest you to move your site to some other webhost

Also, there's NO need to hire someone for such small issues  :-X

Advertisement: