News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Dream Portal

Started by Dream Portal Team, October 03, 2012, 03:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoLoGHoST

Just an update on this.  We are aware of the reason why the DP.net site is working for about 50% of the world and the other 50% is not seeing it and this is something that just has to propagate and takes time, so it is out of our hands and should be resolved within a day at most.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you, but please have some patience.

Dream Portal Team

If anyone is experiencing any further problems on the DP.net site, like any 404 Errors, page not found, etc. please contact "Xarcell" on Skype.  Also, you can PM SoLoGHoST here at SMF, just letting us know that you are having problems with the site (recently or has been for a few days).
This is the universal account for the Dream Portal Team. All messages sent to this account will be discarded.  Please visit us at:  Dream Portal dot net for support and extensions to Dream Portal.

mikkiTX

okay, craziest thing here...
1st, i run win 7 & chrome 30.0.1599.101 m... no worky.

tried ie 10...no change

cleared dns, no change

cleared cache... no change

clearing my history is not practical at this time.

disconnected my proxy and i get "no data received" although google.com loads fine.
changed my ip address... no change.

ya'll just don't like me, right?  :P

mikki
all I really want to hear is "Yes Ma'am"...

SoLoGHoST

No, it's not that.  There is a route that your computers takes to access the internet when a site is being called to load, during this route (think it's called the Trace route), there is a connection down.  So, in short, the internet is down somewhere along this route that your computer takes to access the Dream Portal site.  This route most likely is different for google.com.  Hopefully, it should change or fix itself shortly.  I have the same problem at my work PC, where I can't access my site from work, but I can access it from home.  This is the best conclusion that makes the most sense.  That and it may still be propagating (which I don't understand why it would take over 72 hours to propagate).

mikkiTX

and Poof- it works just fine now.

thanks so much for not thinking i'm an idiot... or at least not telling me you thought i was an idiot.  ;)

mikki

SoLoGHoST

For tracking the propagation of DP.net site, look here:  https://www.whatsmydns.net/#CNAME/www.dream-portal.net

Thanks for your patience!

Trenchwork

Ok, all, I have some seriously basic questions.  I've read nearly everything, but I'm finding a hole I can't quite fill and just need to see if I have this right.

First, I want a portal for a small site, and I'm not brilliant with this kind of thing, but have enough of a variety of experience behind me in different platforms that I can sort of grunt my way through adjustments and tweaks if I know precisely what and where they should happen.  I've downloaded and installed DP with no problems, and have turned it off for the moment until I can be sure I know how to adjust it.  So, do I understand correctly that the process is:
1.  download and install DP  (done)
2.  download and install the modules you want to show up in your site
3.  ?? 

Where does one create content for the homepage function?  (And presumably the modules available on the homepage can be different than the modules visible within the site, if one uses the homepage as an information and login page?)

Second, I want a chat function rather than a shout box.  Will DP support a mod such as the SA Chat Bar, or is there a better suggestion?

Trenchwork

An update . . . I've installed another portal for the moment and will run through DP later when I have a bit more time to play.  But if someone can confirm the process for me, that will save me time later.   :)

SoLoGHoST

Dream Portal creates a Homepage, pages, Menus and allows you to place modules on any layouts.  Layouts consist of visual representations of actual content that can be assigned to as many pages in SMF as you want/need.  Layouts can be created on-the-fly with sections however you need them to be.

1.  Download and Install Dream Portal

2. Download and Install whatever Modules you want here:  http://dream-portal.net/index.php?action=downloads;area=modules (Currently there are 49).  Also, DP comes with the Custom Module automatically installed, and if you are savy you don't need any modules but that one and can just keep cloning it for as much content as you want on your Homepage and other layouts.  Note:  Custom Module is the one that says "Welcome to Dream Portal" in the title.  You would just modify this module and put in PHP, BBC, or HTML code as needed.  Making clones and modifying the clones for whatever you need it for.

3. Download and Install any DP Language Packs (unless you are native to the English Language, than you  might not require this).  They can be found here:  http://dream-portal.net/index.php?action=downloads;area=langpacks

4. Download and Install any DP Module Templates here:  http://dream-portal.net/index.php/board,77.0.html  These allow you to display Modules in different ways, you modify the module and choose the template to display.  The topics in that board show visual representations of what the template looks like in the default SMF Curve Theme.  Each theme, it should adapt to nicely.

5. Ask questions at DP.net, learn more and discover the difference that DP makes!

6. Good Luck and DP.net is always there at your disposal:  Documentation Board, Video Tutorials, etc. etc.

hither

How does Dream Portal compare to

a. Simple Portal
b. Tiny Portal
c. Wordpress
d. Other CMS

Thanks!

SoLoGHoST

Well, for 1 Dream Portal is not stand-alone, so it wouldn't compare to Wordpress or a CMS for that matter.  Don't quote me on this, however, I do not think that any SMF Portal is actually stand-alone, although they offer this feature within the SMF Administration of the portal, so I hear.  But the administration of the Portals are within the SMF Administration, therefore, it's not completely a stand-alone product.  As far as other portals for SMF are concerned, that's really up to you to decide!  I'm unable to tell you what these other portals offer as far as features, since I've never really used them.  I can really only tell you what Dream Portal's features are and how to work with DP for whatever your needs are.

For what it's worth, hope that helps.

hither

Thanks. I appreciate your time.

Anyone else have an opinion on the other portals as compared to dreamportal?

mikkiTX

first off, i haven't used the other portals. i did invest considerable time in researching others- and when i saw Dream-Portal i knew it was what i was looking for.

that said, the dream portal custom module will allow you to do just about anything your little heart desires, appearance-wise. it'll even allow you to bypass installing some of these mods so as to give your forum a more seamless approach as far as management and functionality.

to top it all off, the support at dream-portal is, as my mother used to say: "Top Drawer".  yes, i'm a big fan of dream-portal, if you haven't guessed by now...

Michelle

hadesflames

Quote from: mikkiTX on December 27, 2013, 01:44:42 PM
to top it all off, the support at dream-portal is, as my mother used to say: "Top Drawer".

I guess it just depends what the issue is =p

SaltedWeb

Hi there,

I am looking at putting DP. Although I am not sure is the site where you DL the portal or do you have addons other then SMF and DP to make your site look as it does ?

Another question is I am running 2.07 default theme.  Will DP adjust to the current them I have ( I know SP and other integrate) ?
Does DP ingrate with the stock theme ?  The site looks cool, just not sure how much of the site is fluff and how much is similar to what a person might have ?

Thank You
I am using simple portal seriously considering DP but like the look I have right now colors etc do not want to lose that necessarily.

Thanks

Cozmo
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

live627

QuoteI am not sure is the site where you DL the portal
Official mod site here

QuoteDoes DP ingrate with the stock theme ?
Yes.

mikkiTX

www.dream-portal.net seems to be down for me this morning...

Socialize

How do I remove this and have the portal be displayed? I enabled the dream portal.....
hxxp:prntscr.com/3if2mv [nonactive]

Dream Portal Team

I realize that this is an old reply, but in any case...

When you install Dream Portal, you are greeted with the initial Dream Portal Installed greeting on the Homepage.  This is just the Custom Module, with code in it to show that.  You can edit the Custom Module however you want to put whatever you want in it.  You can clone it as many times as you need and edit those clones to each be different.  You can also disable the Module completely by just dragging it into the Disabled Modules section of the DP Layout area in the Administration.

DP only comes with 1 module installed.  If you want more modules, there are currently 53 Modules, all located here:  http://dream-portal.net/index.php?action=downloads;area=modules

Many of these Modules were built by SoLoGHoST/Xarcell.  There's also plenty of Documented Topics in the Documentation Board and even some Videos to help you get started.  There is not much support for Dream Portal, other than the main Developer, SoLoGHoST, but that doesn't mean that you will receive poor or lacking support if you run into problems with Dream Portal.  It just means that many people take and never give, but that's the story of life.  Personally, I like to give because I find it more rewarding.

This is the universal account for the Dream Portal Team. All messages sent to this account will be discarded.  Please visit us at:  Dream Portal dot net for support and extensions to Dream Portal.

420SA

Hi guys would just like to thank you guys for the awesome portal you guys have created! It really has improved the usability of my forum immensely! It may be a long shot but I really would love a mod that could display the recent SMF gallery images. I know it's a mod made by other developers but hey I thought I'd just throw the request out there  :)

Is there a way to make the thumbnails in the recent images mod smaller?

Once again thanks for the great mod!

Advertisement: