News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Can't read personal messages

Started by RdJpB, October 04, 2012, 07:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RdJpB

Hello everyone.

I'm currently having a problem on my forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with it. Upon receiving any new personal messages, I am unable to read them for some reason. They just won't show up on my regular inbox. Check it out:

And if I press the "Labels (3)" it also shows nothing. Not sure what's up with that. Has anyone experienced this before and knows how to fix it?

Thank you in advance. :)

kat

Just a wild hunch, this. It probably won't work. But, it's the first thing that sprung to mind, you know?

Try emptying the forum's cache, in "Forum Maintenance".

If that doesn't work, try repairing stuff, in that same place.

RdJpB

kat

OK... Let's try and narrow things down, a bit.

If you switch to a different theme, are they still there?

mashby

Might you have some mods installed which might be affecting PMs?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Shambles

^--- Plus, have you got any rules created that manage labels?

RdJpB

Hi everyone.

Quote from: K@ on October 04, 2012, 07:56:18 AM
OK... Let's try and narrow things down, a bit.

If you switch to a different theme, are they still there?

Yes.

Quote from: mashby on October 04, 2012, 08:30:44 AM
Might you have some mods installed which might be affecting PMs?

I don't think so...

Quote from: Shambles™ on October 04, 2012, 08:32:00 AM
^--- Plus, have you got any rules created that manage labels?

Zero rules.

Weird, uhm.
Could it be that the forum is somehow not properly set up (since I recently got it back up on a new server & domain)?

Thanks!

Shambles

While we're trying to suss this out for you...

Quote from: RdJpB on October 04, 2012, 07:06:17 AM
And if I press the "Labels (3)" it also shows nothing...

Does nothing show up even if you simply hover your mouse over the "Labels (3)" menu item? It should show you the labels you have set up, which if you drop your mouse into what's being displayed, should take you to the 3 messages that have the label you moved onto.

RdJpB

Quote from: Shambles™ on October 04, 2012, 11:49:02 AM
Does nothing show up even if you simply hover your mouse over the "Labels (3)" menu item? It should show you the labels you have set up, which if you drop your mouse into what's being displayed, should take you to the 3 messages that have the label you moved onto.

That's what it shows:

Shambles

Well that doesn't look right :(

It should show all your defined labels, in which I'm sure you will locate your missing messages.

Try creating a label, just for the hell of it, and see what occurs when you hover again...

RdJpB

This is what it shows when I create a few labels:

Even though I pressed the "test (3)" label it still displays "No messages...".

kat

Just thinking out-loud, here...

What happens if you try to prune your messages?

RdJpB

Quote from: K@ on October 04, 2012, 02:36:24 PM
Just thinking out-loud, here...

What happens if you try to prune your messages?

Unfortunately can't really do that as of now but I assume my regular inbox messages would be deleted and the other 3 would stay there. Honestly, I think this is some database issue or something. The question is though, where should I look and how to fix it? Any ideas?

RdJpB

I uninstalled all the mods I had installed on my forum and the problem remains.

The latest reply I got from my host was the following:

QuoteHi there,

I have looked into this extensively, and I'm afraid that it may just be a bug in SMF, or perhaps a file somewhere that wasn't upgraded or installed properly. Here is what I have found:

In testing this, me and a colleague sent a couple of test messages to your account on the forum, which I was then able to recover the message ID (id_pm, as the column is named) for.

mysql> select * from smf_personal_messages where subject like '%HostGator%';
+--------+------------+----------------+-------------------+-----------+------------+-------------------+-----------------------------+
| id_pm | id_pm_head | id_member_from | deleted_by_sender | from_name | msgtime | subject | body |
+--------+------------+----------------+-------------------+-----------+------------+-------------------+-----------------------------+
| 160869 | 160869 | 5 | 0 | RealmPT | 1349692661 | HostGator Test | Test message from HostGator |
| 160805 | 160805 | 29339 | 0 | hgtest | 1349280630 | hostgator testing | hostgator testing |
2 rows in set (0.13 sec)

(there were actually quite a few more after this, so I apologise for any clutter in your inbox that we've created).

Using this information, I was able to pull data from another table that contains the recipients of each message.

mysql> select * from smf_pm_recipients where id_pm = 160869;
+--------+-----------+--------+-----+---------+---------+--------+
| id_pm | id_member | labels | bcc | is_read | deleted | is_new |
| 160869 | 5 | NULL | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

I was also able to pull a list of messages for your user using a similar query, but this is excluded for brevity.

This may not align nicely if you don't use a monospaced font for email, but it shows that the "labels" column contains NULL, which is just a null value. I noticed that the other messages that were displaying properly had this set to -1, so I updated this to -1 as well.

mysql> update smf_pm_recipients set labels = -1 where id_pm = 160869;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
Rows matched: 1 Changed: 1 Warnings: 0

mysql> select * from smf_pm_recipients where id_pm = 160869;
| id_pm | id_member | labels | bcc | is_read | deleted | is_new |
| 160869 | 5 | -1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

And then the Test message from HostGator showed in your inbox properly. I ran another query to change all messages with a value of NULL to -1, so now you have the other messages in your inbox as well.

HOWEVER, this does not resolve the problem. Indeed, new messages are still having this 'NULL' label applied. I would recommend contacting the SMF development team regarding this issue, to see if they may have any insight or a patch to resolve this. You may also attempt a full reinstall of the SMF files, though be sure to take full backups before attempting this procedure.

If you would like any further assistance, or have any further questions or concerns, please let us know and we'll be glad to help.

Any ideas on what to do?

kat

Well, this is getting a bit out of my depth, I'm afraid.

Let me put it this way, if this was a bug in SMF, I'm pretty sure we'd've come-across this, before.

I've certainly never seen it, before. I've also done a search and I can't find anything that's even remotely similar.

Have you got any labels set up? If so, what happens if you delete them all? (I know that might be a pain, if you want to relabel some of them).

This is weird, no question.

Shambles

Are you comfortable going into your database, manually?

I'd like to see the content of your "message_labels" field, in table {db_prefix}members  (member_id=160869 )

Advertisement: