I can't install any mods on SMF 2.0.2 let alone Tapatalk please help me...

Started by nathansuchy, October 07, 2012, 02:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathansuchy

Dear SMF Support,

I will be refreshing this page over and over until I get a reply but here it is. No matter how install packages it does not appear can you please help me get Taptalk installed. I am will to give FULL access to my server (http, ssh, ftp, etc) to SMF Support as well as access to my SMF Admin Account. Please help me.

Colin

Welcome to SMF!

Before you give out administrative credentials take a glance at this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0

When you are installing packages do you receive an error? Is your Packages directory writable?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

nathansuchy

Yes and I would only give SMF Support my admin password I would not publicly post it, I am not that anywhere of security I have very secure passwords but the Packages Folder is writeable the problem is after I install a package via ftp SMF does not see it. I can't get a single package installed even with the temp folder. Nothing will work please help. Do I need a VPS to use SMF because if that is what I need I will get one. Also the captcha is very hard

Colin

Hi Again,
I apologize for the difficult CAPATCHA. That will go away after your first 10 posts. Nope no need for a VPS to install SMF. Just to clarify when you upload a package to the Packages directory SMF doesn't see it in the Package Manager, correct?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

nathansuchy

Colin

Can you verify with your host that you have CHOWN ownership. Also what is the Packages directory CHMOD"ed" to?

Colin

nathansuchy

nathansuchy

I will get a response with 20 minutes (I paid extra) also support opens in 13 minutes. Sorry about the wait will tell you my results once I get them.

Colin

Colin

nathansuchy

Sorry again I had not told you my chmod values,

I have tried 777, 775, and 755 (tapatalk requires it)

Also my hosting provider allows php to write after to give it permission with chmod,

Files get updated in the cache through squid every 2 minutes another thing you might want to know,

"Our hosting platform uses a network of distributed, fault-tolerant, load-balancing shared servers. Sites are automatically distributed across the servers to make the best use of resources based on the popularity of the site and the capacity of the server. As a result, there is no need to fear having busy or CPU intensive sites on the same server slow you down; our system will re-balance them automatically." NFSN FAQ

Colin

Ok, but did your host verify that your account had CHOWN ownership?

Colin

nathansuchy

Their Expensive Ticket Support Just Opened,

I paid to be at the top of the list. I will copy / paste their reply once they reply.

Colin

Colin

Shambles

Not wishing to step on anyone's toes here, especially Colin's, but can you please clarify what you did here:

Quote from: nathansuchy on October 07, 2012, 02:23:01 PM
...the problem is after I install a package via ftp...

Are you ftp'ing the zipped package directly from your workstation to your Packages folder, or using the PM to ftp-in the zip file?

nathansuchy

To shambles:
I am sending the un-zipped file. To the server

To colin:
I think I have CHOWN still waiting for reply from host can we contine as if we did. If anything changes will let you know also told host to add CHOWN if I don't already have it.

Colin

QuoteTo shambles:
I am sending the un-zipped file. To the server

By what method are you uploading? Through FTP or through HTTP (The package manager).

Colin

Colin

Colin

Shambles

Did you try sending the zipped package/file, rather than an unzipped copy of the contents?

Colin

Quote from: Shambles™ on October 07, 2012, 03:26:57 PM
Did you try sending the zipped package/file, rather than an unzipped copy of the contents?
I would assume he had to if he used the HTTP upload. Unless he selected a single file out of the directory?

Colin

Shambles

That's what I'm getting at. Author says he's been using unzipped copies, which kinda precludes the package manager upload feature...

nathansuchy

Please do not assume things,

First I tried HTTP (did not work)
Then I unziped and uploaded through FTP
Even Tried SFTP

nathansuchy

I have tried http and ftp (sending all of the unziped files) also my host says i have CHOWN

Colin

Keep the file compressed and upload it via FTP to the Packages directory.

Colin

Shambles

nathansuchy

Please don't assume things (not letting me make posts just restarted my computer and tether),

I am back I tried uploading zip file through http WAIT, did not work then tried unzipping it locally and uploading it did not work. My host says i have CHOWN over all files.

Colin

Do not upload it through HTTP. Upload the zipped, compressed archive via FTP.

Colin

nathansuchy

SORRY ABOUT THAT.

I was not seeing the posts because it made a new page. Now I see them I will upload the zip directly. and no i was not meaning to direct anything towards you.

nathansuchy

ok I uploaded the zip directly it did not work. What should I do now???

Colin

If you would like me to take a look. I would need temporary SMF admin and FTP credentials (Restricted to the forum directory). Once again http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228940.0

Colin

nathansuchy

I am PMing them to you...

(before installing please make a backup)

Colin

You will need to backup the database if you wish to do that part of it. Unfortunately the SMF database dump is very buggy. I will happily backup the files though.

Colin

nathansuchy

Just connect and try and figure out how to install mods. backup files first I backed up the database so no damage can be done.

Please figure out how to install tapatalk for me.
Please backup files
thanks I await your results

Colin

Can you ask your host to verify they don't have mod_security enabled?

Colin

Colin

^ Disregard.

I am not sure what that package was that was in the Packages directory. I corrected the file permissions and uploaded the tapatalk package. You can now view that in your package manager and click install if you wish to proceed.

Colin

nathansuchy

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much :D,

You have been the most helpful person today. Will other packages work through http now?

Colin

Wahoo!

Indeed they should. Just ensure you are uploading the original file from the MOD site.

Topic marked as solved.

Colin

nathansuchy

One more problem (view the screen shot below and you will see),
The screenshot is an attachment

Colin

Colin

Colin

Colin

nathansuchy

Ok safe mode off it works fine now tells me to CHMOD a few files also now it says "The default theme's directory is wrong, please correct it by clicking this text." I can send you another screenshot if you give me a few minutes...

Colin

You also need to correct the theme directory. I am not sure of your home directory, but you should be able to see that in your host control panel or simply ask your host.

Colin

nathansuchy

My home directory is /f5/androidolism/public/Themes/default it was working fine until I switched to PHP Flex which does not have safe-mode enabled.

Colin

It is not your home directory.

To justify this I created an example. One file (test.php) includes test2.php which echo's 'hello';

It references test2.php via the home directory

Visiting http://www.ad-forums.tk/test.php displays a warning because the path is incorrect.

Colin

Arantor

Well done for confusing the issue, Colin.

You can't use the physical path in the HTML!

/f5/androidolism/public is the directory which is being served but it is mapped to / for the purposes of HTML. The reason your PHP file doesn't work is because it's trying to find ad-forums.tk/f/androidolism/public/test.jpg which obviously doesn't exist.

nathansuchy

Ok problem fixed I SSHed into my server space and found my user dir /home/public not the stupid /f5 my hosting provider gave me sometimes people are not very smart... :(

Colin

@Arantor -- Yikes! Thanks for pointing that out. Was obviously not thinking too well when I typed that out. I did update the example, but it looks like the OP got it sorted out.

Colin

nathansuchy

All Problems Solved...

I am extremely busy working on my forums so bye thanks for all you do. I will ask here if I need anything else. (Will Create New Topic)

hcfwesker

Please, always,  create a new support topic for yourself so support can be directed specifically for you.

Try this.

public_html (root of your files) > Packages > temp 

change that folder to 755 if not already.  if you don't have a "temp" folder there, create one and set it to 755, then try and add the package through the admin package manager.

Advertisement: