News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Users Can't Register

Started by jvaran, October 13, 2012, 12:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvaran

Quote from: Shambles™ on October 15, 2012, 01:53:57 PM
While you're comtemplating that ;) which version of the DS-Natural theme are you currently running? Did you apply the version for SMF 2.0.2?

Might be worth a quick query on DzinerStudio.com [nofollow]

I did install the version for 2.0.2. I tried resetting back to the default theme, and the problem is still there.

jvaran

Quote from: K@ on October 15, 2012, 02:23:16 PM
This is just a hunch...

Try emptying the forum's cache, in Forum Maintenance.

Just tried it, still no luck. However, while in there I checked all file versions, and for "Default Templates" I have 2.0 instead of 2.0.2. I'm not sure if that might be the cause of the problem, or how I would go about updating those files.

Shambles

For the sake of moving forwards, can you apply this final version?

If you see any errors reported from Subs.php can you list them please?

jvaran

I get this error in Chrome:

Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.hiddendragon.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=11f12231817f68135ebd441b3992cc81&action=register. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

However, there is nothing in the SMF Error Log.

Shambles

Weird. This is gonna take some thinking about...

Arantor

Firstly, note that newsFile doesn't exist. It should never exist in a stock install. It is index 'news' and the File bit is always on the next line but for some reason when you copy from the error log it mashes things together.

That said, farting around with Subs.php isn't solving the problem - the undefined errors won't cause it to fail like that, simple as that. It might break the CAPTCHA, possibly, but it wouldn't cause a 500 on action=register.

Something is more fundamentally wrong, and I'd be looking at... Register.php and Subs-Members.php being compared to a stock copy from 2.0.2 to see what's different.

jvaran

I replaced Register.php and Subs-Members.php from a clean copy of SMF 2.0.2, and everything worked fine. Replacing Register.php messed up my install of Stop Forum Spam (as expected), but I went back in and made the required changes to that file again. And everything still works fine. So my best guess, I probably made a typo while modifying Register.php for the "Stop Forum Spam" mod.

I appreciate all the help! Thanks!  :)

Shambles

For closure, the various tweaks we made to Subs.php gradually removed the reference to $modSettings['news'] upto the point where Subs.php no longer 'failed' and the true origin of the fault was no longer being disguised, allowing the real error in Register.php to shine through.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Hey jvaran - it's good that you're up and running. Good luck with the forum (it looks like it's got potential) :)

Advertisement: