News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

This requires prof. help (SMF running on 2 servers?)

Started by Snickers, September 09, 2005, 10:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snickers

Hello, I have this deticated server with 2 websites on it, and 1 of them really is tearing up memory (I don't think its the other site, which only consist of SMF and 20 members), so I was wondering, if I got another server account on another server, could I make some kidn of tweak so they could work together?

Some info about my current server:

Operating System:     Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg)
Processor:     Intel® Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2794.910MHz)
Processes by CPU:     httpd (423) 58.8%, mysqld (207) 6.1%, exim (6) 0.9%
Memory usage:      81.394% (2535144k / 3114676k) (This is the average, and when more people comes to my SMF site, I'll be in trouple)
Opened vs. Open tables:
(table_cache)    304.3281 (should be <= 80)
Key buffer write hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)    0.6897 (should be <= 0.5)
Thread cache hit rate: 1 (should be <= 0.05)
Thread cache usage: 0 (should be >= 0.8 and <= 0.9)

OH and its MySQL 4.0.x

Now, here's the trick, I wan't to use 2 servers, but make it so, that the domain wil stay on ym current account, so will probably graphics and attachments etc (It has HUGE bandwith, so why not use it?)

And then almost anything that can make the menory usage bigger, (I guess members, threads, settings and such????)

I prefer to have the domain and all things like graphics and big files on my current account, since the other one only has like 30 GB of bandwith (which isn't a lot, since my site is gonna get heavy later)

I've heard about sites running on multiple servers, so this shouldn't be impossible?

Please help me, I'm sure others are interested in this too, and thank you for reading.

[Unknown]

Processes by CPU:     httpd (423) 58.8%, mysqld (207) 6.1%, exim (6) 0.9%

Apache is clearly eating a lot of CPU time.  This usually indicates to me that you're not using an accelerator; is this the case?  I strongly recommend eAccelerator.

Memory usage:      81.394% (2535144k / 3114676k)

That's being under utilized... unless this isn't peak times, which makes the CPU usage look worse.  Don't be afraid if that goes up to 100% - what you want to worry about is the swap usage.  If it starts going up, then you're in trouble.

Sounds like your table_cache and key_buffer_size settings could do with a slight increase.  The thread_cache_size seems to be 0 at the moment, I'd suggest trying 8.

You may not need to get a second server after all, but if you do it should be possible to get things working as you'd like.

-[Unknown]

Bonk

Fedora = Bad news. Try a reliable OS. I reccomend FreeBSD or QNX.

Snickers

hello again...

I've gotten my server upgraded (I found out the memory was high since an account on my server got DOS attacks, which has been solved now.

But instead of dowtime now, its pretty slow:

Operating System:     Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg)
Processor:    Intel® Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2794.928MHz)
Load averages:    1.32, 0.98, 1.01
Current processes:    423 (420 sleeping, 2 running, 1 zombie)
Processes by CPU:    httpd (151) 41.1%, exim (13) 0.6%
Memory usage:    47.639% (1483812k / 3114676k)
Swap: 0% (0k / 2096472k)

Connections per second:      15.7996
Kilobytes received per second:    15.6285
Kilobytes sent per second:    185.2784
Queries per second:    112.0742
Percentage of slow queries:    0
Opened vs. Open tables:
(table_cache)    291.4375 (should be <= 80)

Everything els is pretty fine...

So how to make this table cache better?
How to change 0 to 8?

Thank you for listning

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Snickers

okay thanks, I'll look out for it...

Anything els to be done to increase load time?

Ben_S

How active is it? How long has the server been up because status.php won't really give a good indication untill MySQL has been running for a day or so.

Snickers

lol, it has like 5 members online in average, its very new...

Funny part is, somehow its really fast, like lightning, and sometimes it takes 15.7996 secs...

and the wierd part is, before I upgraded the server security, it was always extremely fast, sometimes it just suddenly didn't want to load at all..

but it was never slow...

I think I might have done something wrong when I took my backups (server got wiped when I upgraded)...

anyway, I accept all sugesstions

Ben_S

It's impossible to say really without seeing the site itself and the status.php script live.

[Unknown]

I'd say go to Admin -> Features and Options -> Disable hostname lookups.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: