News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgrade from 1.1.16 to 2.02 gets stuck

Started by Gantry, October 15, 2012, 01:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gantry

Using the "Extracting Before Upgrading" method, originally when I ran it I had checked the option to backup the database but it did not work, so I re-ran the upgrade and did not check the option to back up the database, and it continued on.

However now it is stuck at Executing upgrade script 1 of 2.
Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script)
Time Elapsed: 569 mins, 46 seconds. (when I refresh the screen).

The forum is not that large, so I'd expect in the tens of minutes for this. I had set the forum to maintenance mode before I started. Not sure what my next move is, I had read another thread wherein it was recommended to change the timeout in php.ini, but I'm on IIS so not sure where that setting would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

emanuele

Try disabling javascript in your browser (I seem to remember something related...unfortunately I'm not sure if it was related to that particular issue).

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Gantry

Thank you for that suggestion, it worked to a point. It continued on, upgrading a number of things, prompting me to click continue along the way, until I think the progress bar was near the end, whereupon the screen is now blank at this point:

http://www.site.com/forum/upgrade.php?step=3&substep=278&data=YTo2OntzOjc6ImN1cnN0ZXAiO2k6MztzOjQ6ImxhbmciO3M6NzoiZW5nbGlzaCI7czozOiJyaWQiO2k6MjQ4MjtzOjQ6InBhc3MiO2k6NTIyNjU7czo1OiJkZWJ1ZyI7YjoxO3M6MjoianMiO2k6MDt6;strict_step=51;filecount=2&filecount=2

What can I try now?

Gantry

Am still stuck. Does anyone know where a reference to what point this "step 3 substep 278" might be? At least then I'll know where to start looking for a potential solution myself.

emanuele

Are you always starting from a "clean" database or are you running the upgrade on a partially converted db?
The substep doesn't say much, step 3 means you are converting the database.
What was the last step before the error?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Gantry

When you say clean, I'm assuming you mean checked for errors etc, yes that was all done.
The string I quoted in my previous post shows the "exact" step it was on. I was repeatedly clicking on the "next" button as it did each table. There was no mention that I should be writing each step down on paper or anything so I have no clue, as there were many.

emanuele

With "clean" I mean that every time you start the conversion you restore a backup of the 1.1.16 forum and start again. Instead of start an upgrade, fail, start the upgrade again with the database already partially processed (even though the steps you did shouldn't change anything).

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Gantry

It's going from bad to worse. I restored the mysql data file from the backup I took just before the upgrade, and ran upgrade.php. I unchecked "continue from where I left off". javascript is disabled. I got an hourglass for about 10 seconds, then Error 101 (net:: ERR_CONNECTION_RESET). The resulting url at the address bar shows step=0 substep=0. Nothing else happens.

Plus, when I got to the home page (index.php), I no longer get the forum is offline message, instead I get 10 bullet points (dots) down the middle of the page.

addendum: okay, running repair settings seems to have worked so at least I can restart the process, which am doing right now......

Gantry

Ug, it got overall 72% of the way through, changing tinytext columns to varchar and now I get this:

Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:
over and over and over and over......

Going to try restoring the db and all the files to original. sigh.

Gantry

Okay, restored clean db and all files + upgrade files, then started from scratch. Does at 59% overall progress, 64.7% step progress, 26.4% through database changes, last items are:

Add the user log... Successful!
Update the information already in log_actions Incomplete.

It does give the Continue button, however at the top it pukes with Error: "unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File: " over and over

Gantry

Just for ******s and giggles I clicked Continue to see if it would go on, and it did for another 4 or 5 clicks. The last screen I saw was:

Overall progress 72%, 83.2% step progress,  changing tinytext to varchar 23.3% Incomplete.

Then when I click continue the next time, the screen goes blank again, completely white, though this time my maintenance mode message is up.

Any help greatly appreciated.

kat

tinytext? Never seen that. A mod, perhaps?

You know...

If I was in the straits that you're in, this is what I think I would do: (Except I'm sticking with v1.1.16)

BACKUP EVERYTHING!!!

Get the large upgrade for 1.1.16. http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_1-1-16_upgrade.zip

Dearchive it and upload all the files, except Upgrade.php, overwriting what you have, now. (That won't affect posts, members, etc.)

Then, I'd try the upgrade.

Actually, did you backup, before starting on this? If so, it might be worth you restoring that, uninstalling all the mods, then going for the upgrade.

Gantry

Thank you K@. Yes, everything was backed up completely before I started. No issues there. I also did use the large upgrade, so that suggestion results in the above. (which I did twice).

I do like your suggestion of uninstalling all the mods, will try that, thanks.

kat

Getting to be a bit like a detective story, this one, innit? ;)

emanuele

Sorry for not answering yesterday but I was a bit busy with other things.

Quote from: Gantry on October 17, 2012, 12:21:46 AM
Ug, it got overall 72% of the way through, changing tinytext columns to varchar and now I get this:

What file? upgrade.php? What line?

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Gantry

Quote from: emanuele on October 18, 2012, 06:19:30 AM
Sorry for not answering yesterday but I was a bit busy with other things.

Quote from: Gantry on October 17, 2012, 12:21:46 AM

What file? upgrade.php? What line?

No trouble, have been a little under the weather myself.
It didn't say what file, literally it said that same thing over and over, ie

Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:Error: unserialize(): Error at offset 57 of 95 bytes File:

Except that the offset increased by 1, it did this for half a screen.
In any case, am going to start fresh again from backups, this time uninstalling all mods as per K@, probably tomorrow at some point when I'm feeling a bit better.

emanuele

If I had a bit more time I'd ask you to let me try, but can't do anything for the next week/s...
I'll keep this unread so that I should remember it later. :)

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Gantry

Well we never could do the upgrade. As it turns out, the database was hacked months ago and we just didn't notice because there was nothing obvious. Yes, updates were all done. Passwords complex and changed. We have backups, but to go back months would get rid of soooooo much information that we decided to start fresh: create a new forum, migrate user info only. Leave all posts behind as a read-only archive. I don't like to leave things unfinished so I just had to record this here.

Advertisement: