News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Manual Uninstall Instructions for SMF Mods

Started by Adrek, October 26, 2012, 09:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrek

Hey,

maybe would be good for some new users to have another "Parse" button under "Manual Install Instructions for SMF" which would be for manual uninstalling mods.
I know - you can just say to this user to apply changes in reverse order.
But you have to point them in this direction, because they see only manual instructions for installing - so I think that this one more option would be useful.
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

Deaks

took me a few moments to realise what you were suggesting.

I will pester Gary to look into adding this into the mod site revamp :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

MrPhil

Is it as simple as reciting the install steps backwards, or will they have to be rewritten/rephrased?

Gary

It's a good idea, since I can understand that some might not be able to read from bottom to top decently enough, so that it could help to have them displayed in reverse, so that users can read top to bottom like normal.

In the current site, I suppose a message saying that to uninstall mods, that you should simply take the install instructions and do them in reverse, but in the new customise site, a button could be used to actually display the reversal properly.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

MrPhil

Keep in mind that what is an obvious "reversal of steps" for an experienced programmer may not be so clear to a noob. For example, if one step is to run a script to modify the database, they might just run it again (a new script would be needed to back out the database change). If one step is to move or copy a file from shipping directory A to run directory B, they might just move or copy it back. Remember, some people will take instructions very, very, literally because they don't understand the principles behind them.

Advertisement: