Forum was up and working great for 2 months, but down now... Why? (screenshots)

Started by ced59, October 31, 2012, 03:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ced59

Quote from: MrPhil on October 31, 2012, 06:14:38 PM
Strict Standards: your host has upgraded to PHP 5.3. You do not have a legitimate timezone declared. Somewhere in Admin there is an entry (pulldown list) for selecting your timezone. Try that. If you can't do that, create or add to your /php.ini file:
date.timezone = 'America/Chicago'

Warning and Parse error: it says you've got a bad file in the SMF cache. Empty out the SMF cache directory via Admin or manually through your host file manager or FTP (everything except index.php and .htaccess, if present). All the files to be erased start with data_.

Thanks very much Phil.. I deleted the entire cache as Colin said to do... I did save the index.php just randomly... i don't think I have .htaccess file I think.. lemme see if I can restore it

thank you both for help
chris

Colin

Don't worry about the .htaccess file for now. That is not critical in getting your forum back up. Do follow what Phil said about the time zone settings and your php.ini file.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

ced59

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

ced59

Quote from: MrPhil on October 31, 2012, 06:14:38 PM
Strict Standards: your host has upgraded to PHP 5.3. You do not have a legitimate timezone declared. Somewhere in Admin there is an entry (pulldown list) for selecting your timezone. Try that. If you can't do that, create or add to your /php.ini file:

Warning and Parse error: it says you've got a bad file in the SMF cache. Empty out the SMF cache directory via Admin or manually through your host file manager or FTP (everything except index.php and .htaccess, if present). All the files to be erased start with data_.

hey, sorry- where can I find the /php.ini file?

unfortunately, doing a search couldn't find it... im not sure which settings file to add the code to

Colin

I just did a tad bit of research. It looks like hostgator requires you to phone them at 1.866.964.2867 and they will add the php.ini file to your home directory. Once this is done you will then be able to modify it.

Colin

ced59

Thanks man i'll give them a call

since adding the index.php file back in, it looks like this-
http://www.goodlookingloser.com/forums/

im confused why this randomly happened to the forum today- no settings were changed at all

they have some instructions on how to do it here, ill see if I can do these
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/what-is-php-ini

Colin

Wait, where did you get that index.php file? How did index.php get removed in the first place?

Colin

ced59

Quote from: Colin on October 31, 2012, 07:19:42 PM
Wait, where did you get that index.php file? How did index.php get removed in the first place?

it was in the cache directory, I was told to delete the whole cache.. I saved a copy of the index.php file, it was the only one though

Colin

Ok, it looks like you might have overwrote the index.php file with the one in the root, forum directory. Did you happen to do that?

Colin

ced59

Jesus.. I have no idea. I never should have deleted anything :(

I moved the forums/cache/index.php to the /forums directory to save it in case I needed it, I don't know if one was in there and I overwrote it.. it never prompted me yes/no to overwrite a file though

so if I did overwrite it, I'll need an index.php file for that directory.

do you know if there's is a index.php file in the main SMF directory?

ced59

Should I call hostgator and have them restore my site to however it was 3-4 hours ago (before I deleted the cache) ... that seems like the best thing to do.. I'm just making things worse I think

Colin

Yikes, ok that is what happened. In the future, make the backups on your local machine or an empty directory.

Did you have any mods installed? Do you have an old backup?

Colin

Colin

Quote from: ced59 on October 31, 2012, 07:32:52 PM
Should I call hostgator and have them restore my site to however it was 3-4 hours ago (before I deleted the cache) ... that seems like the best thing to do.. I'm just making things worse I think
Sure. Then we will have you go in and remove the Cache again, but leave the .htaccess and index.php files. No need to delete them then restore them, just simply keep them on the server and delete the other files in the Cache directory.

Colin

ced59

its working now, not entirely sure why but it seemed to be a file in the cache that messed it up in the first place

i paid hostgator to reset all the cache files and the index.php that i did/didn't overwrite with copies from Oct.27... and now it works, thanks for helping me out... an ironic way to fix it, but its done!

Colin

Colin

Advertisement: