Similar Topics

Started by Bugo, November 04, 2012, 02:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramón Cutanda

Hi,

I'm very interested in this mod and I'm currently trying it. But I'm facing some issues that I'm wondering if they could be overcome. First, I'm reaching 500,000 posts in my forum, so I'm using a Sphinx index for the searches instead of the default MySQL indexes. So my fist question, or request, is to be able to use Sphinx in order to minimize the impact of this mod in my database.

Also, I've found that most of the time old posts are shown instead of other much more recent. They are "related", yes, but I'm also wondering if you could somehow change the weight of different search criteria such as if the search words are included in the title, number of posts in a thread, date and so on.

It's an amazing mod; but I'm missing some important features in order to be able to actually use it.

Thanks so much for reading.

Bests,

spiros

Yes, I am on a similar boat with a forum of over 500,000 posts and I am guessing that this mod would slowly it down big time and this is the last thing I want.

By the way, how did you install Sphinx? I am trying to find someone who could do it for me.

Ramón Cutanda

Quote from: spiros on February 05, 2013, 04:26:38 PM
By the way, how did you install Sphinx? I am trying to find someone who could do it for me.

Actually I'm trying to fix it... I was running Sphinx 0.9.9. A couple of days ago I installed this Similar Topic mod and tried to upgrade to Sphinx 2.0.4 and... everything broke... I've just disable Similar Topics and I'm trying to reinstall Sphinx. I'll let you know if manage to get it running back.

Bests,

Jorge_CS_

1) My forum language is spanish, so we use áéíóú etc, in topic display there is no problem, but when I start a new topic I get "null" on those topics using special chars.

Attached you can find an image.

2) Is it possible to order similar topics from date and descending?

Thank you!

Bugo

@videoed, I never worked with Sphinx.
@Jorge_CS_, 1) Please post a link to your forum. 2) In the future versions, just wait.

spiros

videoed, perhaps you could use Sphinx for search and MySQL index for Similar Topics. I am not the one to ask though about how this could be done.

Mr. Pedram

Hi Bugo,
today this mod not working anymore.. stuck in loading...
what's the problem do you think? Probably it's a jQuery conflict, but i can't figure it out, somehow, i remove all jQuery form other MOD, but it didn't works!

no one for support!?
i even installed new version, but still not working
My Modifications:
» Loading For SMF
» Buddies Block
» Redirect Links
» Birthdate On Registration
» PM Warning
» Instagram
» Add Table,Td,Tr Button
» Search Topic & Board Button
Browse All...

Gryzor

New version uploaded, but no changelog?

Bugo

What do you want from me? I don't read the tea-leaves. Probably it's a jQuery conflict... or probably no. Who knows? I have no access to your forum, I have no test account for testing.

Mr. Pedram

Quote from: Bugo on February 22, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
What do you want from me? I don't read the tea-leaves. Probably it's a jQuery conflict... or probably no. Who knows? I have no access to your forum, I have no test account for testing.

I Have no idea why you speak like this? for what?!
you created a mod, this topic created for support this mod, and you should support your mod, isn't it? if you can't, mention it!
it's very hard to help others?!

if you can't support and speak with respect do not make a MOD!

i dunno what you need for fix this, test account, link to our froum or etc..
everyday people ask repetitious questions, no one should be angry or inattention to their questions! this forum created for support everything related to SMF, right?

ok , we didn't search?
we didn't attention to past replies? ok, make a quote! and don't speak like this with people!

i tell you:

QuoteProbably it's a jQuery conflict, but i can't figure it out, somehow, i remove all jQuery form other MOD, but it didn't works!

This is kinda disrespect!
there's no need to your coercive help anymore!
My Modifications:
» Loading For SMF
» Buddies Block
» Redirect Links
» PM Warning
» Instagram
» Add Table,Td,Tr Button
Browse All...

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Mr. Pedram on February 22, 2013, 05:57:04 PM

I Have no idea why you speak like this? for what?!
you created a mod, this topic created for support this mod, and you should support your mod, isn't it? if you can't, mention it!
it's very hard to help others?!

if you can't support and speak with respect do not make a MOD!

i dunno what you need for fix this, test account, link to our froum or etc..
everyday people ask repetitious questions, no one should be angry or inattention to their questions! this forum created for support everything related to SMF, right?

ok , we didn't search?
we didn't attention to past replies? ok, make a quote! and don't speak like this with people!

i tell you:

QuoteProbably it's a jQuery conflict, but i can't figure it out, somehow, i remove all jQuery form other MOD, but it didn't works!

This is kinda disrespect!
there's no need to your coercive help anymore!

(1) Bugo isn't making any money off this mod.

(2) Bugo made this mod and contributed it voluntarily.

(3) Bugo has no obligation to help anyone.  You.  Me.  Anyone.  He has no obligation to even release mods.  He does so voluntarily out of kindness and the love for the community.

(4) It's bad attitudes like yours that drive people away from making free mods.  If you paid for it,  I would be on your side.  You didn't.  You got it free.  If it doesn't work and you find the support lacking.  DO NOT USE THE MOD.  Simple as that.

Mr. Pedram

(5) if Bugo can't or dosen't want to help, shouldn't speak tough!! and don't make reply!

you right but he could say "i can't help" not speak like this!

What do you want from me? I don't read the tea-leaves.

;)

did i force him to help?
no..
My Modifications:
» Loading For SMF
» Buddies Block
» Redirect Links
» PM Warning
» Instagram
» Add Table,Td,Tr Button
Browse All...

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Mr. Pedram on February 22, 2013, 06:51:04 PM
(5) if Bugo can't or dosen't want to help, shouldn't speak tough!! and don't make reply!

you right but he could say "i can't help" not speak like this!

What do you want from me? I don't read the tea-leaves.

;)

did i force him to help?
no..

I think there are some language issues going on here.  Bugo is Russian (IIRC)... I am not sure what your native tongue is.

Bottom line is that it's not cool to attack someone who's contributing to the community freely and without out strings.    If you paid for a service,  I could understand your anger.  You didn't.   You got something for free.  If it doesn't work for you... and when you ask for help you get little or none... your options are limited to fixing the issue yourself,  hiring someone else to fix the issues,  or remove the mod.

There is no shame in offering up some money for help with an issue you can't get resolved through the free channels.

Bugo

Quote from: FrizzleFried on February 22, 2013, 08:10:23 PM
I think there are some language issues going on here.  Bugo is Russian (IIRC)... I am not sure what your native tongue is.
+1

I challenge no money for this mod. And I can't get a word out of someone who has any problems. To make inquiries about a problem, one should write at least the following:
1) All details about problem (what, where, when etc., Error Log etc.)
2) Test account on your forum.

Mr. Pedram

@FrizzleFried

For last time i say again:

I didn't make him or anybody to help me for solve this issue, never.
i just requested help like all people, without discontent (please see my prev posts!)
after many days, i asked question: no one to support?
i means all members, not only bugo.
and when he replied, i saw a tough reply! no language and money ant etc is our matter! it's was clear what he said, it dosen't matter, but don't forget, he never, and shouldn't speak to people like this, if couldn't help and dosen't want to help, okay, no problem, don't reply!

if someone didn't know whats he need to fix the problem, he shouldn't act like this, should speak with politeness, and let us know whats will need.

i've help people here sometimes, if i can. like others, shouldn't have money expectation!

he helped others befor, but the funny matter is when i request help he refused!
nevermind!

i believe, when someone create something, should handle this! THIS IN NOT FORCING HIM TO HELP!

end of the story
My Modifications:
» Loading For SMF
» Buddies Block
» Redirect Links
» PM Warning
» Instagram
» Add Table,Td,Tr Button
Browse All...

FrizzleFried

I think i am just going to chalk this up to a language barrier...  I think Mr. Pedram is taking something Bugo said a little too literal/serious but again,  I think it's a language thing... on one or both.

Anyway,  if you want the support you're looking for Bugo,  it seems,  would still be happy to help out if you provided the two bits of info he asks for in his last response above.

Good luck.

Skaty

Quote from: Mr. Pedram on February 16, 2013, 06:48:35 AM
Hi Bugo,
today this mod not working anymore.. stuck in loading...
what's the problem do you think? Probably it's a jQuery conflict, but i can't figure it out, somehow, i remove all jQuery form other MOD, but it didn't works!

Same problem here. it's just stop before months. so my solution for me is ''don't use this function''  :)

Skaty

Well i maked a copy of my forum today and try to install mods step by step and find which one is broking this feature of similar topic.

tested about 90 mods and these are definetly broke this feature:

- Minimun Characters or Words Mod 1.1.2
- Automatic Index 2.4

i keep continue to trying and after 2 mods (not in the list) it stopped again and i uninstall this last 2 mods but can't make it work.  then i gave up, still can't use it :D

Dave J

Great mod Bugo.

I can confirm that this mod and the 'Glossary' mod have a conflict with one another. I have disabled the glossary at the moment as no one seems to use it anyway.

This is for info in case someone gets the permanent '....loading' situation and they also have the glossary installed.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Gryzor

Too bad; had no idea about the Glossary mod, but it looks really useful!

Advertisement: