News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

New to Simple machines forum, many bugs to sort out.

Started by melanie1986, November 04, 2012, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melanie1986

Hi, my name is Melanie. I've just moved my forum on recommendation of a friend of mine from phpBB to SM. I like it a lot but I have found a few bugs, annoying ones so far that I can't fix. The first one is

members cannot upload avatars from their computer. We receive this error

An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Forum Main Page

Moderators and Admins have this message on the main page on the top

The default theme's directory is wrong, please correct it by clicking this text.

Rank icons

when trying to set my own rank icons how do I fill this in, to load icons either from my computer or photobucket account?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Forum logo

Using the default theme or any theme really, how do I get my own logo banner up there?

Colin

Welcome to SMF!

Avatars - What is the attachments directory CHMODed to? It should be 755 or 777.

Default Theme Directory - Verify the integrity of the directory path at Admin -> Configuration -> Current Theme -> "This theme's directory:"

Rank Images -> Upload those images to your /Themes/YOURTHEME/images/ and add the name of the file to the text box. Ex. rank1.jpg
You can't use external links to rank images.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

melanie1986

thank you for the reply Colin  :)

what is this? where do I find it?

CHMODed to? It should be 755 or 777.

Under theme settings in that box : "This Theme's directory" it has this

/mnt/web3/c1/03/53376003/htdocs/sf-planet.com/lostworlds.sf-planet.com/forum/lw2/Themes/default

on the rank thing, okay I'll try that

I don't have that option????? > /Themes/YOURTHEME/images/  :(

PS why do I have to do the capta every time I post here????

Colin

What is CHMOD?

You will need to get your home directory from your host and then verify the path. Unfortunately I don't have access to that information for you. If you want to advise me of your host I can investigate further on the Themes directory.

For the rank, are you browsing your file structure via FTP? Make sure to replace YOURTHEME with what your theme actual theme is.

I am sorry for the inconvenience regarding the CAPATCHA. That will disappear after 10 posts.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

melanie1986

cool. I'll have to get that from my techy guy....he doest trust my clumsy fingers with that Lol

I don't quite understand that? I'll wait until I can get him back (he is in Germany different time zone)

No probs :D

oh.... on the avatar thing. a couple of members have avatars direct from url's. I tried that from my photobucket account but it just comes up as "person has removed image" even though it is there

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/Melavi-3.jpg

Colin

Hmm weird, that should work. If you want me to take a peek PM me temporary admin forum credentials.

Colin

melanie1986

Colin

I fixed your Themes directory.

With the avatar maybe they are using hotlink protection as it is not an SMF issue. I linked one from my server and it worked fine so I would suggest using a different image host or contacting them with the issue.

Colin

melanie1986

okays that sounds fair enough. It would be easier though when we can fix the root cause though. But I'll have to wait for that I guess Lols. :D

Colin

Quote from: melanie1986 on November 04, 2012, 07:19:46 PM
okays that sounds fair enough. It would be easier though when we can fix the root cause though. But I'll have to wait for that I guess Lols. :D
Sorry, what part is still not working or you weren't sure the reason for?

Colin

melanie1986

oh, I tried going to another image hosting site to see what would happen. I tried this one

http://postimage.org/image/fxodez70z/

and I got a warning! error. I've asked at photobucket, but they could take a week to answer Lols. Do you know a site for hotsing images that will work?

sorry to be a pain in the rear!  :-[

Colin

Nope, that works fine. You need to make sure you are using the DIRECT image link not the link to a page. Look at my profile on there I just set it as my avatar. The link you would use is http://s5.postimage.org/fxodez70z/Mel_avi_3.jpg not http://postimage.org/image/fxodez70z/

Colin

melanie1986

that worked!!!!!!!!!!!! *yay* thank you Colin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *hugs*

<beams out to tell everyone>

Colin

I am so glad you have it all working! Stop by if you run into anything else.

Topic marked as solved.

Colin

melanie1986

Got that one done! so I'll start a new topic for my next question and thank you so much Colin :D

melanie1986

Avatars - What is the attachments directory CHMODed to? It should be 755 or 777.

Colin, currently it is set at 777. So far even attachments give you and error. Should we change it to 755 and see what happens?

MrPhil

777 is not always writable. Your server's security settings may disable access to "world writable" directories and files. Always start with 755 (and check that you are the owner of the directory). If SMF complains it can't write to it, try 775 (PHP may be running not as you, but in your group). Only as a last resort try 777 (PHP running as a random other user).

melanie1986

thank you Mr Phil. I'll get my techy guy to check it out and let you know :D

Colin

If I remember correctly it was the path. I would need temp. FTP access to take a look at what is up with the directory.

Colin

melanie1986

FTP? is that like the server data base or what we call the ACP? (admin control page) :D

MrPhil

File Transfer Protocol. A utility for transferring files between two computers.

Colin

Who is your host? FTP stand for File Transfer Protocol and would allow me to manipulate the file structure of your forum to locate the Attachments directory and verify its permissions are configured correctly.

Colin

Colin

Colin

melanie1986

;D Lols guys..... there is only one of me :P

Ah..... okays. Now I know. I am still waiting for the guy that set the forum up for me to let me know that. He is in another country and we seem to miss each other frequently. I'll send him a PM or email and let you know Colin via PM tomorow hoepfully :D

and thank you both. You guys are awesome! Best forum help I've ever had!

Colin

Fantastic let us know!

So happy to hear you are liking SMF!

Colin

melanie1986

I will. I've already emailed him so I should get and answer in my morning :D

Loving it !  :)

melanie1986

re: my last post. No answer yet :-\

back to my earlier question, how do I attach my own forum logo/banner to my main page theme?  ;D do I need specific sizes and resolution?

Antechinus

Nope. Any size should be ok. There's an input box for the logo url on the "Current Theme" page in admin.

melanie1986

Oh cool thank you Antechinus............. btw where did you get that name? lol  ;D

Shambles

melanie1986

melanie1986

okays I have this page. what do I do now?

Modify Themes
SMF Default Theme - Curve (2.0)

Browse the templates and files in this theme.
    Edit this theme's stylesheets.
    Copy a template from the theme this is based on.

Kill Em All

You are viewing the modify themes tab. Select the Theme Settings tab instead. Then select your default theme. You should then see the "Logo image URL:" Ant was talking about.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

melanie1986

Ah...okays. That makes more sense now :D thank you.

I can't remember if I asked this before. How do I change the topic icons? Instead of the default one that looks like a page I wanted to have something like this

Kill Em All

Admin>Forum>Smileys and message icons>settings>tick Enable customized message icons

Then you can edit message icons in the new tab next to smiley sets.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Antechinus

Quote from: melanie1986 on November 07, 2012, 01:51:34 PM
Oh cool thank you Antechinus............. btw where did you get that name? lol  ;D

They're Australian native animals. Due to the environment they live in, the species has an unusual breeding strategy. The males literally f**k themselves to death. I found it rather amusing. Reminded me of some behaviour I've seen in humans.

melanie1986

melanie1986

Quote from: Kill Em All on November 09, 2012, 01:16:51 AM
Admin>Forum>Smileys and message icons>settings>tick Enable customized message icons

Then you can edit message icons in the new tab next to smiley sets.

No that's not it? I mean this

Kill Em All

melanie1986

Advertisement: