News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

3.0 Release

Started by BullsFan23, November 05, 2012, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BullsFan23

A couple questions:

- Is 3.0 a complete rewrite?
- Is a CMS being added to it, what is it comparable to (ex: WordPress?)?
- What is a realistic estimation of when it is going to be released?
Global Moderator on AdminAddict.net
Windy City Sports (Chicago Fans, Sign up!) Owner

Kill Em All

AFAIK, 3.0 isn't even a thought in the developers head. 2.1 is the current work in progress which is in alpha stage.

To answer the third question, its out when its out. There is no time frame.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Colin

- I don't imagine a CMS being added, but who knows what it will be now? ;)
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Kill Em All

I feel like there was talk awhile ago about it being an addon, but I could be wrong.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

BullsFan23

Quote from: Colin on November 05, 2012, 07:51:47 PM
- I don't imagine a CMS being added, but who knows what it will be now? ;)
What is SMFCore, I thought that was the CMS?
Global Moderator on AdminAddict.net
Windy City Sports (Chicago Fans, Sign up!) Owner

Kill Em All

It is just a theme for the forum. Nothing else.

Herman's Mixen

smCore is not an CMS it's a framework to implent plugins and other stuff into SMF more nicer ;)
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

nend

SMFCore from what I understand will be the core and plugins will run off from it like SMF 3.0. So basically having the core and forum seperate.  ;D

Antechinus

Quote from: BullsFan23 on November 05, 2012, 07:58:18 PMWhat is SMFCore, I thought that was the CMS?

Not sure why you would think that, since all the announcements about smCore state that it's a framework. If you want it in plain English, the framework handles all the stuff that all apps will need: accounts, security, database basics, blah, blah, blah. Different applications (forum, CMS, whatever) can be plugged into the framework. This means they will all work together, and users will be able to pick and choose which apps they want.

Colin

No worries, I could see how the name may be a bit confusing. Anyhow it will be a major improvement and modifications will always be available to add functionality such as portals and what not.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Kill Em All

* Kill Em All is in shame.

Thought of it as the theme core default. Not smCore itself.

青山 素子

Quote from: BullsFan23 on November 05, 2012, 07:44:39 PM
- Is a CMS being added to it, what is it comparable to (ex: WordPress?)?

FYI: WordPress is not a CMS. It's a blog engine with page-editing functionality grafted on. It's a mess when you get more than a few pages to manage, and good luck if you want any kind of hierarchy.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Antechinus

Advertisement: