News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum Working Great, But Text Formating/Emoticons Just Disappeared...

Started by ced59, November 09, 2012, 08:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ced59

Hey my forum is working great but for some reason the text formating (bold, italic, underline, etc.) smileys all disappeared.

When you go to write a message they are gone....

Any idea why?

I was thinking that the cache/database was too full, but I ran maintenance and that wasn't the case...

www.goodlookingloser.com/forums

Tavsih

Hey! :)
Same thing happened with me when i used Smf for the first time .Change the theme it will work.

ced59

hey thanks for your reply... I can't change the theme.. we've taken several weeks to customize our theme, our forum isn't new :)

ced59

notable also, the icons are just gone. we can still make smileys,text changes the manual way : + ) = :)

emanuele

You have some javascript broken. Fix it and the smiley will appear again. ;)

ETA: difficult to say *what* is broken since you are using a custom theme and most likely custom code. ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

ced59

Quote from: emanuele on November 09, 2012, 08:45:00 AM
You have some javascript broken. Fix it and the smiley will appear again. ;)

ETA: difficult to say *what* is broken since you are using a custom theme and most likely custom code. ;)

awesome-- ill get my guy on it
thank you

ced59

unfortunately nothing has worked... the text formatting/smileys are still gone... any other suggestions?

kat

Odd. I'm looking at your site, as I type.

Obviously, I cant see anything on the post page. But, I can see icons and smileys all over the place.

emanuele

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Akyhne

emanuele

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

kat

emanuele

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Dave J

I had a similar problem after I installed a shoutbox on my site, although I can't see a shoutbox that maybe because it's not showing to guests.

If you are using IE8/9 try the compatability option in IE first if that doesn't work then try using Firefox and see if the problem is still there.

If either of those work then try to update the shoutbox as I know the one I had problems with did get a fix which was thanks to Emanuele.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

ced59

Quote from: K@ on November 11, 2012, 01:07:01 PM
Odd. I'm looking at your site, as I type.

Obviously, I cant see anything on the post page. But, I can see icons and smileys all over the place.

sure, we can see the smileys/text formating... but the text formatting menu (buttons: bold, italic, underlines, smileys, font type, font size, etc.) when you are tying a message isn't there anymore :(

and we dont know what happened... no clue

kat

Quote from: emanuele on November 12, 2012, 01:00:51 PM
Let's see if ced59 can provide us with a test account. :)

Is everything OK, if you use the SMF default theme?

ced59

I have tried all; changed the theme to default, javascript folder replaced with new folder.. nothing worked. Any other suggestion on this please?

Should i re-install the forum taking the backup of all posts, data, board items, images etc. Kindly let me know how can i re-install forum as i have installed it as my sub-domain. That would be great if some expert can give me step by step process to reinstall the forum keeping all the data of the forum.

Thank you very much (my great webdesigner asked the question above)
Chris

... if anyway I can be of assistance in the subjects that I teach to guys (see my website), I would be happy to do so.
Chris, www.goodlookingloser.com

emanuele

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

ced59

Quote from: emanuele on November 14, 2012, 12:47:13 PM
And the test account? ;)

hey there, thank you very much for trying to help

here's the test account
username: mcl
password: smftemp

I'm not sure what you'll find as a regular user other than what I mentioned (the text formatting buttons are gone)

Thank you very much

kat

OK, it's as you say.

So, let's start from the beginning, with this. You say that they all disappeared.

That suggests that they were working. Then, suddenly, they vanished.

The question that has to be asked is "What was done, just before they vanished?"

Did you install a mod, or something?

ced59

Quote from: K@ on November 15, 2012, 08:37:18 AM
OK, it's as you say.

So, let's start from the beginning, with this. You say that they all disappeared.

That suggests that they were working. Then, suddenly, they vanished.

The question that has to be asked is "What was done, just before they vanished?"

Did you install a mod, or something?

good question and unfortunately nothing comes to mind (nothing noew has been installed for several months)

this issue on 10/31/2012, had us restore certain scripts
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=489678.0

The text formatting was still there after the restore however and seems to go MIA on 11/9/2012

The test account is up
user: MCL
pw: smftemp

emanuele

You have an error in your editor.js file: it's truncated.
Did you install any modification that altered that file?
If so restore a proper version of it and then apply the changes manually paying attention to the syntax.

If not simply restore an unmodified version.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

ced59

Quote from: emanuele on November 15, 2012, 10:26:23 AM
You have an error in your editor.js file: it's truncated.
Did you install any modification that altered that file?
If so restore a proper version of it and then apply the changes manually paying attention to the syntax.

If not simply restore an unmodified version.

Thank you for your speedy reply, I appreciate it

that's the weird thing- we haven't installed any mods on the forum in 3-4weeks... long before the text formatting disappeared.

We have a saved version of the forum (the standard database save) from Nov 4th, before the problem. I hope a November 4th editor.js file is in there.
So, if I am understanding this correctly, restoring the Editor.js file should fix things...?

I can just restore that file (editor.js) and things should hopefully return to normal?

(if not, will reinstalling the forum (and using the existing database) fix things and make sure that all the posts/theme,etc. doesn't get erased?)

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
Chris

emanuele

There is no need to reinstall the forum...it's just a javascript file broken... ::)

Doing a diff against an original editor.js there is no modifications apart from the one that break it, so do one of the following:
1) replace the file editor.js with one taken from an install or large upgrade package (download area here at sm.org);
2) open editor.js with a text editor, go to the end of the file, the last line is:
;;
replace it with:
oCurControl.oSelect.value = sValue;
}
}
}

that's all. ;)

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

ced59

Quote from: emanuele on November 15, 2012, 11:21:37 AM
There is no need to reinstall the forum...it's just a javascript file broken... ::)

Doing a diff against an original editor.js there is no modifications apart from the one that break it, so do one of the following:
1) replace the file editor.js with one taken from an install or large upgrade package (download area here at sm.org);
2) open editor.js with a text editor, go to the end of the file, the last line is:
;;
replace it with:
oCurControl.oSelect.value = sValue;
}
}
}

that's all. ;)

HEY ID LIKE TO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! X 3001

sure enough the code was messed up. we still dont know why, but I really appreciate your help.

I'm guessing you saw this just seeing how the text formatting was missing, yet the forum remained working?

Chris

emanuele

Firefox's error console (or is it firebug? dunno) showed the error.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: