Forum Working Great, But Text Formating/Emoticons Just Disappeared...

Started by ced59, November 09, 2012, 08:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

OK, it's as you say.

So, let's start from the beginning, with this. You say that they all disappeared.

That suggests that they were working. Then, suddenly, they vanished.

The question that has to be asked is "What was done, just before they vanished?"

Did you install a mod, or something?

ced59

Quote from: K@ on November 15, 2012, 08:37:18 AM
OK, it's as you say.

So, let's start from the beginning, with this. You say that they all disappeared.

That suggests that they were working. Then, suddenly, they vanished.

The question that has to be asked is "What was done, just before they vanished?"

Did you install a mod, or something?

good question and unfortunately nothing comes to mind (nothing noew has been installed for several months)

this issue on 10/31/2012, had us restore certain scripts
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=489678.0

The text formatting was still there after the restore however and seems to go MIA on 11/9/2012

The test account is up
user: MCL
pw: smftemp

emanuele

You have an error in your editor.js file: it's truncated.
Did you install any modification that altered that file?
If so restore a proper version of it and then apply the changes manually paying attention to the syntax.

If not simply restore an unmodified version.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

ced59

Quote from: emanuele on November 15, 2012, 10:26:23 AM
You have an error in your editor.js file: it's truncated.
Did you install any modification that altered that file?
If so restore a proper version of it and then apply the changes manually paying attention to the syntax.

If not simply restore an unmodified version.

Thank you for your speedy reply, I appreciate it

that's the weird thing- we haven't installed any mods on the forum in 3-4weeks... long before the text formatting disappeared.

We have a saved version of the forum (the standard database save) from Nov 4th, before the problem. I hope a November 4th editor.js file is in there.
So, if I am understanding this correctly, restoring the Editor.js file should fix things...?

I can just restore that file (editor.js) and things should hopefully return to normal?

(if not, will reinstalling the forum (and using the existing database) fix things and make sure that all the posts/theme,etc. doesn't get erased?)

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
Chris

emanuele

There is no need to reinstall the forum...it's just a javascript file broken... ::)

Doing a diff against an original editor.js there is no modifications apart from the one that break it, so do one of the following:
1) replace the file editor.js with one taken from an install or large upgrade package (download area here at sm.org);
2) open editor.js with a text editor, go to the end of the file, the last line is:
;;
replace it with:
oCurControl.oSelect.value = sValue;
}
}
}

that's all. ;)

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

ced59

Quote from: emanuele on November 15, 2012, 11:21:37 AM
There is no need to reinstall the forum...it's just a javascript file broken... ::)

Doing a diff against an original editor.js there is no modifications apart from the one that break it, so do one of the following:
1) replace the file editor.js with one taken from an install or large upgrade package (download area here at sm.org);
2) open editor.js with a text editor, go to the end of the file, the last line is:
;;
replace it with:
oCurControl.oSelect.value = sValue;
}
}
}

that's all. ;)

HEY ID LIKE TO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! X 3001

sure enough the code was messed up. we still dont know why, but I really appreciate your help.

I'm guessing you saw this just seeing how the text formatting was missing, yet the forum remained working?

Chris

emanuele

Firefox's error console (or is it firebug? dunno) showed the error.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: