News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SOmething wrong when i am posting something

Started by PremiumVikings, November 11, 2012, 01:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PremiumVikings

When i try to paste like in 1000 words into a Thread. And when i create that Thread. It is only like 18 words or something.

If i write 50 words it's like 20 words. It is cutting off the whole time. What is causing that?

mrintech

Kill Em All

Also, what are you pasting from?

Pasting from MS Word will have formatting problems.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Kill Em All

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

PremiumVikings

Quote from: mrintech on November 11, 2012, 01:28:27 AM
check "Maximum allowed post size " under post settings: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Posts_and_Topics#Numerical_Input_Settings

I have set that to 25k. The thing i am copying is 1400 words....

Still just few show up.

Kill Em All

Are you able to make posts consisting of just normal typing longer than 25 or 30 words?

Also, check out a possible solution here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=34270.0

Mod security might be causing this.

kat

PremiumVikings

This site: www.garrysmod.com - I want to copy the whole update 148. But are unable to... I Just get the first two lines and the rest is cut off

This is my site: http://www.premiumvikings.com/index.php

kat

Well, here's a copy/paste of the whole page:

QuoteI sent an update to Valve. I'm hoping it fixes all the major issues right now - so I can start off merging the latest code and get linux working again.

Here's a verbose changelog.
Default scoreboard no longer swallows keys

Previously the scoreboard would swallow the keys meaning that you couldn't walk around with it open. This is now fixed!
Saves and Dupes now have separate tabs

The creations tab has been split into Saves and Dupes. This will allow us to tailor each tab specifically for their contents in the future.
Saves and Dupes are now have custom tags

Saves and Dupes were messy and disorganised. I'm hoping that sorting them into a few categories will clean this up and make them a bit more explorable.
Vehicle third person view offset isn't weird anymore

Probably most noticeable on chairs and the pod - the third person mode was kind of weird before. On the pod it was completely useless. I've made it act a bit more like you'd expect.
Can zoom vehicle third person view with mouse wheel

Something that has been requested for a long time. You can now zoom in and out of the third person mode with the mouse wheel. The zoom level is saved per vehicle - so you can return to a vehicle and it will be at the same level you left it.
Vehicle view mode is recorded in demos

The view mode of vehicles wasn't actually recorded in demos. This caused confusion when playing them back. The viewmode is now recorded (and is the zoom level).
'Back To Main Menu' button now fully clickable

The Back to Main Menu button on the bottom left of the menu sometimes seemed like it didn't react. It was because it only actually reacted when clicking on the text of the button. That's been fixed.
Fixed LOD issues with player models

With the recent Scream Fortress 4 update for Team Fortress 2, Valve introduced some code-related changes that required us to recompile all playermodels. Some issues with level-of-detail optimizations slipped by; they have been fixed! Additionally, some additional optimizations for LODs have been added, similar to those used by Valve for TF2. They should help on servers with lots of players at once.
The Breen playermodel is now colourable

As with every update since Garry's Mod 13, more playermodels progressively get color customization.
Fixed Lua error when loading old saves with cameras

This was manifesting in SetFunc errors in the console. It was caused because the 'save fomat' of cameras changed in the previous version - and I stupidly didn't make it backwards compatible. It's not backwards compatible.
Re-added support for Entity.Entity

Calling self.Entity in your entities is generally something that isn't required - because self is the entity. This is something that I assumed no-one was using - but it turns out a lot of people were. So for the sake of compatibility I restored the behaviour. The first time this is used it will output a warning in the console - to encourage people not to use it.
Reverted DForm:NumSlider to previous behaviour

In the previous version I changed DNumSlider to return a DNumScratch. This worked perfectly fine in theory. The problem was that a lot of scripts were counting on the return value of the function. It was also a pretty backwards thing to do.
Integrated DNumScratch into DNumSlider

I still like the idea of DNumScratch - but I decided to put it somewhere less obvious - and not to force people to use it. Sometimes it's faster to use the notched slider. So you can now use the numscratch control by dragging on the label of a DNumSlider.
Fixed entities sometimes pretending to be invalid

One of the biggest errors in the previous values cropped up due to the optimization I made to the Lua Entity Handle system. It turns out that it was creating the Lua Entity Handles before the actual Entity Handle was valid. This obviously caused a lot of crazy problems all over the place.
Fixed timer logic

There were a couple of problems in the new timer system that didn't happen in the previous version. Namely re-creating or adjusting a timer while inside the same timer.
surface.SetFont now errors on invalid font

Lua coders requesting more errors! Previously SetFont would just carry on like nothing had happened if you called it with an invalid font. This caused hard to trace errors further down the line when text measuring functions returned nil. SetFont will now throw a nice stack tracable error to catch those problems early.
AddCSLuaFile tells us where it was called

AddCSLuaFile throws an error if it can't find the file, but it doesn't tell you where it was called from. This is changed in this update.
gm_video now locks FPS, doesn't blur screen

I'm sure no-one else uses gm_video. But if you did you'd have noticed how hard it was to navigate the spawnmenu when recording - because the screen was blurry and mis-aligned. This is now fixed. It also locks the fps to the recording fps set in vid_fps.
Fixed engine error when adding a vector and an angle together

This isn't limited to adding, it's pretty much any mathematical function between userdata. It's correct that this should error out - but it shouldn't be an engine error. It should be a Lua error.
Fixed OnEntityCreated receiving NULL entities on precache

This hook is called when entities enter the Lua system. The source engine creates a version of each entity when creating a game - to precache stuff. Those entities aren't fully created - so never get a valid entity handle. But they were finding their way into this hook. I fixed that.
Fixed error in DListBox

This was a simple error fix. The error was seen when using the undo menu.
Fixed Entity:CreateParticleEffect

This function can be called multiple ways - but was erroring out when not called a specific way. I fixed the bug and it can now be called as usual.
Fixed jeep not showing as a vehicle type clientside

The clientside Lua system wasn't aware that the jeep was a Vehicle - so it wasn't pushed with the Vehicle meta table. I think this has been a long standing problem. It's now fixed.
Fixed crash on hook error

There were some hooks that expected returns, which would cause an engine error if your script errored during. How to sentence. In previous version of Garry's Mod this would carry on regardless - and use whatever returns were left on the stack - leading to what can only be described as undefined behaviour. In the current version it throws a "Calling GetReturn on an invalid return!" error - which allowed me to find the problem easily.
Numbers are allowed in the gamemode name

In an effort to thwart the spammy, attention grabbing gamemode names in the gamemode menu I prevented them using certain characters (,./*\#~`¬{}=+_[]()."). I also included numbers - in an effort to prevent people adding v12355 to the end of their gamemode name. This affected a few legitimate gamemodes (HL2:RP) - so numbers are now allowed again
ManipulateBone functions work clientside

Last update the BuildBonePositions hook was removed because it was called too often (drawing the entity, drawing the shadow, getting an attachment, working out bounds), the results weren't cached in any way. In general it's bad practice to have a hook like this. These things should be pushed, not pulled. The ManupulateBone functions were serverside only. This version allows you to call these functions on the client, and clientside only entities.. but be warned - any server settings will override the client settings.
ShouldCollide reinstated

ShouldCollide was removed last update for the same reason as ManipulateBone. It was called a lot, and 99% of the time it wasn't actually achieving anything. Well I've been mulling it over - and talked it over with some coders on the forums. The solution we came up with is this. It works the same way as it always did - except that one of the entities needs to have called ent:SetCustomCollisionCheck( true ) - which was added this version. You can check whether an entity is registered for this callback using ent:GetCustomCollisionCheck().
Inflator now clamped at zero

In GMod12 the inflator was limited to 0, so when you made something really small it stopped at 0. In GMod13 it allowed you to go into minus figures. This was throwing some people off - because they were shrinking a bone to make it invisible (to swap heads for example). It's now back to how it used to be, clamped at 0.
Garry's Mod - Update 147

by garrynewman
2nd Nov 2012
(1 week ago)
Tweet

Ok guys. That last patch was embarrassing. I have no idea how all those bugs fell through the cracks - I am truly ashamed that those got past me. It was a bad update - even by my standards.

Anyway - here's a patch that fixes yesterday's patch.
Automatically unsubscribe from deleted/banned workshop addons
Fixed timers not always adhering to their delay
Fixed crash when removing and re-adding a timer
Fixed some animations not playing
Fixed double player corpse bug
Fixed search path order getting corrupted (leading to wrong textures and crashes!)
Fixed hook.Run not calling gamemode functions

The update has been sent to Valve who will hopefully push it out soon. Servers will need to be updated and restarted.
Garry's Mod - Update 146

by garrynewman
1st Nov 2012
(1 week ago)
Tweet

Hey dudes, I sent an update to Valve - which should hopefully be live quite soon.
Optimizations!!
Added 'Keep Corpses' option for NPCs
Added 'No Weapons' option for NPCs
Added a button to the duplicator to show saved duplications
Added fallback textures for people that don't own CS:S
Terrorist Town fixes
Made the DirectX Runtime error clearer
Player color convars now aren't recorded in demos
Toolmenu is now wider on larger resolutions
Tool tabs are now ordered by name (except with tools first)
Fixed bone manipulator editing invisible bones
Fixed map icons and fonts not working in workshop addons
Fixed server crash exploit
Fixed crashes due to player models with broken IK
Fixed duplicated emitters being misaligned
Fixed camera not duplicating properly
Fixed crash in MsgN
Fixed a "Pushing without Lua" error
Optimized use of Lua's userdata
Fixed some weapons not being automatically AddCSLua'd
Fixed entity handles not being released by Lua until map change
Added Entity:SetShouldServerRagdoll( bool )
Added Entity:GetShouldServerRagdoll()
Added render.PushFilterMag( TEXFILTER )
Added render.PushFilterMin( TEXFILTER )
Added render.PopFilterMag()
Added render.PopFilterMin()
Added DNumberScratch vgui control
Moved timer module into engine
Fixed crash when calling player->LagCompensation
Fixed crashing/errors with SetDTString

After I sent the patch I noticed a small bug with the CS fallback textures - which are overriding some textures (which is the complete opposite of what it's meant to do). So I'm working on a quick patch to fix that now.

Servers shouldn't need to be restarted - but obviously it's recommended to get the latest fixes.
Garry's Mod - Update 145

by garrynewman
25th Oct 2012
(2 weeks ago)
Tweet

Ok guys, I fixed the Windows XP freezing issue, so here's a quick update.
Fixed Windows XP freezing when starting a game
Updated animations
Fixed some entities with long names not loading
Fixed soundscape crash when loading some saves
Fixed display defaulting to windowed

The update should be out within the next few hours.
Status Report

by garrynewman
24th Oct 2012
(2 weeks ago)
Tweet

Apart from a few shocked people, things seem to have gone quite smoothly.. especially considering the amount of things that could have gone wrong. The workshop seems to be filling up nicely, there haven't been any massive problems. Except these.

The server browser was showing servers from the old version. This has led to a lot of confusion. This should be fixed in a patch going out shortly.

The open workshop button was opening the beta workshop. That was also leading to a lot of confusion. That should be fixed in a patch going out shortly.

Settings weren't staying saved. That should be fixed in the patch. And language wasn't #loading. That should be #fixed.

The remaining huge problem right now is that XP users are freezing on map load. I'm on it, I'm building an XP machine to run tests on. In the meantime if anyone has any additional information about it - please let me know on [email protected]. As far as I know everyone with Windows XP SP3 is freezing, if you know any different, let me know.

In the meantime, for those who can try to this addon:

(you need to be logged in and click subscribe, and it'll download it next time you start up GMod)

So, I'd look at that "Maximum allowed post size" setting, again. I'd check, too, what Kill Em All said about "mod_security". Ask your host to ensure that it's DISABLED.

MrPhil

It's either mod security butchering your post (although usually that will disallow the whole post), or the source is from Word with Smart Quotes, and it's getting cut off at a Smart Quote. Is it always at some punctuation that it gets cut off, rather than a word itself?

Edit after you posted the whole thing: yes, I can see Smart Quotes in there. One solution that is often reported to work is to convert your forum to UTF-8. New posts using Smart Quotes will often (depending on the browser) convert to proper UTF-8 characters. Old posts will still be broken. This is not guaranteed to work on all browsers. The alternative is to manually edit the text to change all Smart Quotes characters to plain ASCII before posting.

PremiumVikings

It doesn't matter from where i copy from. It is cutted off after some time.

So what should i ask my Hoster about? If Mod_Security is disabled? or if they can?
Or tell me what to do. I am confused.

kat

Just ask the host to disable it.

It's a pain in the bum, anyway. ;)

MrPhil

If every place you copy from used Word or Outlook to edit the text, then yes, you will have this problem. Is your forum already in UTF-8? If not, that would be my primary suspicion. And tell us whether it's cutting off posts at various punctuation or in the middle of words.

With "Smart Quotes", certain "typographically correct" forms of dashes, single and double quotation marks, ellipses, and other punctuation and symbols are entered as single byte codes in the range x80 through x9F in Windows 1252 encoding (and some related Windows encodings). Unfortunately, when you paste these bytes into most Latin-1 or UTF-8 encoded applications, they are treated as control codes, and cause the text to be cut off at that point. Some browsers cheat and either use Windows 1252 instead of Latin-1, or convert invalid characters to harmless UTF-8 replacements.

PremiumVikings

kat

If you go to Admin>languages (Oddly enough) it should be obvious. ;)

PremiumVikings

English   ISO-8859-1   231   en_US

This is what it says. ISO Doesn't look right.

How do i change from ISO to UTF?

Kill Em All

I would check with mod security before messing with the languages.

PremiumVikings

I fixed everything!

Converted to UTF-8, now it works! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Advertisement: