News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Slow PM and Registration System

Started by Mojohaza1, November 15, 2012, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojohaza1

I have a problem on my boards with a slow loading PM system and a slow loading registration system.

Basically, when somebody tries to register after clicking register it takes around 2 minutes for the next page to load. However, it seems to actually register the account within the first view seconds because if you close the page while its still loading and try logging into your new account then you can do this fine. This is probably discouraging new members from joining my board. If you want to try this yourself here's a link to our forum: http://www.wildernessguardians.com/smf/ (edit: on seconds thoughts you might struggle to pass our verification question without knowledge of RuneScape, but google is a thing ;) )

I have the same problem with my PM system. When you send a PM it sends it almost instantly but the page continues to load for another 2 minutes before confirming that the PM is sent. I can go to sent items and confirm it's sent while the page is still loading though.

I've spoken to a more experienced admin on my board and he is not even sure where the problem is coming from  :o

Have you guys ever seen a problem like this before? and how could I go about trying to solve this problem?

Thanks for your time :)

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Mojohaza1

Quote from: Colin on November 16, 2012, 02:16:10 AM
What mods do you have installed?
Oh, not many, just about 23 active mods I think! ;)

1.   Admin Notepad    2.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Top 10 Posters and Topic Starters Stats (Today, Week, Month, and Year)    2.6   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   Alt Characters v1.6    1.6     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Disable Image Toggle    1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   [user] BBC Tag    1.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   New Topic Button    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Enhanced Dropdown    1.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   Country Flags    1.1.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   Aeva Media    1.4w     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.   Personal Messages to Membergroups    1.4.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.   Quick Spoiler    0.9     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.   Drafts    1.1.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.   Board Viewers Mod    1.2.1.1b   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.   BBC Spoiler    1.0   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
20.   SMF 2.0.2 Update    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
21.   Member Color Link    3.0.8   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
22.   Page Management    1.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
23.   SMFPacks Likes Pro Mod    1.3.8     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
24.   Member Color Link    3.1   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
26.   SMF 2.0.1 Update    1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
28.   Enhanced Quick Reply Box 2.0.2    2.0.2   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
29.   Member Awards    2.2.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
31.   Set order for sticky topics    0.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Shambles

For humour's sake, try ticking the box "Disable hostname lookups" in Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > General

QuoteThis disables host name lookups, which on some servers are very slow. Note that this will make banning less effective.

Mojohaza1

Quote from: Shambles™ on November 16, 2012, 04:33:39 AM
For humour's sake, try ticking the box "Disable hostname lookups" in Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > General

QuoteThis disables host name lookups, which on some servers are very slow. Note that this will make banning less effective.
No change i'm afraid, still the same 2 minute loading for PMs/Registration. Anything else I can try?

Shambles

Another humourous thing to try, would be to clear out your forum cache.

Do you see any errors in your forum error log, when this happens?

Mojohaza1

Quote from: Shambles™ on November 17, 2012, 01:46:03 PM
Another humourous thing to try, would be to clear out your forum cache.

Do you see any errors in your forum error log, when this happens?
is this the "empty file cache" option in the forum maintenance section?

Mojohaza1

Cleared with no errors. still slow :/

Shambles

I just registered, and I do see your point. Hmmm... thinking cap on....

Shambles

My welcome email took an awful long time to arrive.

How fast does your forum respond if you remove the email aspect? Try manually registering a member and untick the box that causes an email to be issued and the one that requires email activation.

Mojohaza1

Quote from: Shambles™ on November 17, 2012, 02:55:52 PM
My welcome email took an awful long time to arrive.

How fast does your forum respond if you remove the email aspect? Try manually registering a member and untick the box that causes an email to be issued and the one that requires email activation.

Good shout. I tried manually registering one with email ticked and one without. The one without email ticked registered instantly, the one with email ticked took the usual 2 minutes.

So now the question is how do I speed up the email thing?

edit: 10 posts, w00t! no more captcha!

Colin

Who is your host? Have you given them a holler?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Mojohaza1

I'm not in charge of the hosting stuff, another admin is. But I do know that we switched hosts a few months ago and I'm pretty sure we had the same problem before and after. I will tell my other admins that we have at least identified that email is causing the problem now.

edit: I just checked the error logs from when shambles registered:

IP
    Today at 07:31:06 pm
jumble of letters was here
Type of error: General
http://www.wildernessguardians.com/smf/index.php?action=register22: preg_match(): Unknown modifier '+'File: /home/wgwilde/web/smf/Sources/Profile-Modify.php
Line: 1304
IP
    Today at 07:30:28 pm
http://www.wildernessguardians.com/smf/index.php?action=register22: preg_match(): Unknown modifier '+'File: /home/wgwilde/web/smf/Sources/Register.php
Line: 437
IP 
    Today at 07:29:04 pm
http://www.wildernessguardians.com/smf/index.php?action=register22: preg_match(): Unknown modifier '+'File: /home/wgwilde/web/smf/Sources/Register.php
Line: 437
IP
    Today at 07:28:45 pm

Shambles

What's in your Register.php file, a few lines before and after line 437 (say, 425-445) ?

Mojohaza1

Quote from: Shambles™ on November 17, 2012, 05:38:58 PM
What's in your Register.php file, a few lines before and after line 437 (say, 425-445) ?
I have limited access to these files. I'm waiting for one of the 3 admins who can access them to get online

Mojohaza1

OK, I've got the code now, here it is:

http://pastebin.com/LZqqfPY3

I think he's also given you line 1304 which caused an error too, not 100% sure lol :P

edit: I'm not entirely sure this is the problem though because when I send a PM no errors are generated.

Mojohaza1

disabled the email message to new users for now, which is a temp solution to solve that issue, doesn't solve the actual problem though :(

Shambles

Sorry, forgot about this...

Do you use a customised profile field with a Regex mask configured?

Mojohaza1

Quote from: Shambles™ on November 20, 2012, 04:17:47 AM
Sorry, forgot about this...

Do you use a customised profile field with a Regex mask configured?
No worries about the delay, as I said I've got a temp solution in place for part of it ;)

Anyway, I think you're talking about the " Input Mask:" option in the profile fields section of the admin panel. If that's the case then yes we do have two custom profile fields using these I think.

Shambles

Just for a laugh, would it be possible for you to disable one or both of these two profile fields then re-enable mail alerts, then retry?

I have a plan. In fact, it's such a cunning plan that if it had a tail it would be called a fox.

Advertisement: