SMF 2.0.2 upgrade - now members showing IP of 127.0.0.1

Started by johncthompson, November 16, 2012, 05:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncthompson

Last night I upgraded my SMF install to 2.0.2 from 1.x.

Now new members (and those online since the update) on the member list are showing an IP of 127.0.0.1.

Now if I try to ban a member, it bans on the IP of 127.0.0.1 instead of their actual IP, making it impossible for anyone to post.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix?

ziycon

Welcome to the site :)

Have you got any mods installed?
Did the upgrade complete without any errors?

emanuele

mmm...the only time I remember something like this was related to $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] and $_SERVER['BAN_CHECK_IP'] being swapped, but this would apply to 1.1 too...unless you fixed that in 1.1...

What do you see doing the following:
1) create a new text file called "check_ip.php",
2) put the following code into that file:
<?php
echo '$_SERVER[\'REMOTE_ADDR\']: ' $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] . '<br />
$_SERVER[\'BAN_CHECK_IP\']: ' 
$_SERVER['BAN_CHECK_IP'];

3) save and upload the file to your forum directory,
4) navigate to http://www.yoursite.tld/yourforum/check_ip.php (of course fix the url with your domain and forum directory, if any)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

johncthompson

Hi

check_ip.php generates the following response:

$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']: 127.0.0.1
$_SERVER['BAN_CHECK_IP']:

After I installed the upgrade, I attempted to install the following mods:

Stop Spammer 2.3.9
Akismet Spam blocking 1.2 Beta 3
httpBL 2.5.1

However, this morning I reinstalled all the upgrade files to overwrite these mods and they are no longer showing as installed [the uninstaller tests failed on several accounts so I did not attempt to use that method]

emanuele

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

johncthompson

Thanks Emanuele, you have been most helpful. It seems that apache module, rpaf, had been disabled. Member IP addresses are now showing correctly, except for any member that joined/posted since the upgrade, who are still showing 127.0.0.1. Hopefully that will either rectify itself when they login again or it won't cause any issues.

Out of interest, do you happen to know if the way member IP addresses are logged in SMF 2.0 changed from the method used in 1.1.x? From what our host support impiled, the apache module had been disabled for some time and it's odd that it only became and issue when we upgraded.

At least if anyone else has this problem now, they will have some clues to what the problem might be!

emanuele

As far as I remember: no, no relevant changes to the IP logging system from 1.1 to 2.0... but don't trust my memory. :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: