Beginner Questions ... Definitions, Adding members, permissions

Started by sherrera, November 17, 2012, 11:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherrera

OK - I'm assuming that since I just installed the software and am getting the forum going ... that I'm still in the Installation Help area. :-)

1. What is the difference between a Category and a Board? Are Boards just subsections within a Category?
2. I see that I'm able to add members one at a time. Is there a way to do a batch add? We are a small group (less than 200), but I don't want to rely on membership to add their own accounts. I'm not looking forward to doing it one at a time!
3. I'm very confused with all the definitions and what their roles are, and so many options! Basically, I have 3 Categories. I want all members to access and contribute to all the Categories/Boards. I have one Category with its Board that I only want a group of about 10-15 to be able to access. How do you lock down that one Category and its Board so that just that one group of people can access it?
4. I do not want anyone to be able to create their own account. This is a closed group and I don't want any lookie-loos to see, register or participate.

Thank you in advance for your help!

sherrera

I found the area to disable registration.

So ... I'm down to needing to know if I can do batch registrations!

Thank you!

Colin

There might be an easier way to do this. What format is your current member database in?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

sherrera

Right now, it's in a Filemaker database. I can export it in any format I'd need.

Colin

There are a few topics around that have floated around about CSV member imports such as http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=490196.0 http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=416958.0 (1.X). I personally don't have any experience with that though.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: