News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF starting to make sense

Started by pierrelogic, November 20, 2012, 12:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierrelogic

After lurking here for over a year, registering last December and pouring over all the posts I finally had a break thru tonight.   ;D  I know this may sound a little humorous but I just finished manually uninstalling my first mod using Notepad++, FTP.  Kept getting the warnings while doing it thru the package manager about stop, don't do anything unless you know what you're doing. 

Guess now I am starting to know what I'm doing.  ::)  SMF is making sense to me.  Now to forge ahead and see what else I can break.

BTW, it was the Global header footer mod giving me fits.  Seems like a very nice mod but didn't play well with others.
It's all about the ride

Matthew K.

Very glad to hear you're starting to figure things out! Yeah, some modifications don't always play well with others. Have you tried the most recent update of Global Headers and Footers, though? I rewrote it a couple of months ago, shouldn't have any more problems :)

pierrelogic

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on November 20, 2012, 12:26:36 AM
Very glad to hear you're starting to figure things out! Yeah, some modifications don't always play well with others. Have you tried the most recent update of Global Headers and Footers, though? I rewrote it a couple of months ago, shouldn't have any more problems :)

I have not tried the newer one...only because I didn't have the skill set before to uninstall the rouge version.  ::)  That version was installed last January.

I may test the new one out soon though.  It's features could come in very handy for some ideas I have.
It's all about the ride

The Craw

Well done! I remember the first time I did any code work in SMF successfully, man, I was so excited. It was an edit to Simple Portal, in which I attempted - incorrectly and unsuccessfully at first - to edit a block's text string. But when it finally came together right, it was SO AWESOME.

Just keep at your tinkering and before you know it you'll be an expert at this stuff. The important thing to remember is with every break in the system, or seemingly bad thing, there's always a fix. And with that fix comes a great feeling of satisfaction knowing not only that you figured out how to fix it, but also that if something similar ever happens again, you can apply the new-found knowledge to the next problem. For us code monkeys, this is a part of every day tinkering, and is actually enjoyable (in an anxious, frustrating kind of way). :)

Colin

That's great to hear. Remember, we are always here to help if you do want a finger in the right direction.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

MrPhil

@Colin, are you saying that you're giving the finger to Pierre? ;)

Colin

Quote from: MrPhil on November 20, 2012, 09:44:49 AM
@Colin, are you saying that you're giving the finger to Pierre? ;)
Oh goodness  ::)
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Matthew K.

K@, make sure to add that to our team scrapbook of oops :P

The Craw

I actually had a friend once who used to point with his middle finger.

kat

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on November 20, 2012, 12:47:23 PM
K@, make sure to add that to our team scrapbook of oops :P

I've put all the cock-ups online, you know.

They're HERE. ;)

Colin

Colin

Kill Em All

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Mstcool

The team scrapbook of oops....Interesting....I would like to see it. ;)

Kill Em All

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Deaks

K@ bro you know I luv ya and all but I think your cold is effecting your brain cell.  That pic looks more like Shaggy
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

kat

Jim can be a bit shaggy. :P

Turns-out that Jane and I have got the terribly originally named "Winter vomiting virus".

Mstcool

Lol wow The OP made this topic for explaining how he/she feels and you guys are jokin' around. Aha :)

Advertisement: