How do I control the content?

Started by GeorgeT, November 20, 2012, 06:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waris

GeorgeT,

There were so many good advices from fellow members in this post which effectively would have solved your problems.

But you are so engrossed with self pity and wanting to be a nice guy to your members you are not listening to the very end.

Be decisive and firm if you want to manage a good forum. The people you mentioned couldnt care less so why should you care about banning them if they dont comply to your forum rules and regulations.

Night09

Or...you could just do what you have been advised to stop them to begin instead of piss farting round for weeks being pig headed and just install the bloody mod!!!  :P

GeorgeT

That's why you are a "Hero" and I am not, you known better your way around with words.

anyway, to cut the story short, .htaccess is by far the best way to control your visitors unless you wish to ban an individual.

There are two ways to do it: add .htaccess in your SMF folder. (To preventing trouble makers from accessing your FORUM, if you use the .htaccess of your site, you prevent them accessing your site)
Edit .htaccess by adding:

order allow,deny
deny from 65.60.41.10 (or you can wider the net to deny from 65.60.
allow from all

and yes, "allow from all" is placed at the end.

The other way IS to stop any traffic coming in and out of a country (bellow for Poland)

<IfModule mod_geoip.c>
SetEnvIf GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE PL BlockCountry
# ... place more countries here
Deny from env=BlockCountry
</IfModule>

This had advantages and disadvantages, it blocks all traffic from Poland, including Proxies.
In my case, the countries Nigeria, United Arab emirates, Russia, and China were used.
That now has stop.

The best way to solve a problem is to listen what others do and why that is going to help you. Sometimes one size does not fit all. I tried many suggestions but using .htaccess suits me best. It was suggested by a few people but unfortunately at the beginning I used it incorrectly. It started working for me when I friend pointed out my mistake.

Thanks everybody.

Advertisement: