News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Viewing online members. How come "Everyone" is the default?

Started by kat, November 25, 2012, 05:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

After all, how often do we want to know what guests are up to? Especially if there are a lot of them.

Wouldn't it be better, if "Members only" was the default, for the vanilla SMF?

Just struck me as odd...

LiroyvH

I've been wondering that myself for quite a while, but figured as the question had (as far as I could see) never been asked: most people prefer it that way :P
* CoreISP puts his forever alone picture back on the shelve.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

kat

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Antechinus

I fnd it very useful like that (meaning current default).

IchBin™

I'm with Ant on this as I like to see what everyone is up to by default. I'm not often worried about anyone in particular, but more curious about the whole picture of what is going on in my site.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Antechinus

Usually useful when some idiotic bunch of bots decides to hammer the site. I might see the online list, check them out, and ban a few IP's just to speed things up. Also, sometimes handy to check if known troublemakers are lurking but not logged in. Stuff like that.

kat

Isn't that more out of the ordinary, though?

Under normal circumstances, don't you just use that to see who's in and that kinda stuff?

Antechinus

Yeah but I'm happy to just leave it the way it is. I don't see any need to change it to some other setting when I want to look things up. :P

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Antechinus

Bloat. IMHO. :) I don't really want to have to run another database query every time the page loads.

Colin

It would only be run on the who is online page which I wouldn't think gets a terrible amount of traffic.

Colin

Antechinus

kat

The reason that I brought it up, is because I only ever use it, here.

The reason I use it, is to watch suspected spamtards and it's kinda irritating to have to select "Everybody" all the time. Guests, after all, can't make spammy posts, yet there are LOADS of them.

Assuming that others will be doing the same thing, in their forum, it made me think "Why?".

Colin

Colin

Antechinus

Because if you don't want everybody showing in the info centre, you'll have to call in the setting there too. ;)

Colin

Colin

Matthew K.

Antechinus

Advertisement: