Too many errors on my google webmaster (pics)

Started by johnpaul2k2, December 07, 2012, 05:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpaul2k2

I decided to open my Google Webmaster tools , then i saw this message

so when i checked on the error, it was "more than" much

example of some of the errors

Now , i remember there was a time a installed pretty url which lasted for 3 weeks or so (September period)..........
later i uninstalled it . later i got hit by both google and alexa ( from 300k rank to 789k),
now that i am on the recovery point. i am seeing these. what will i do???

Dzonny

That is normal after uninstall of pretty urls mod, as those url de facto responds with 404 error now. You need to build sitemap and add it to google webmasters center so new urls can be fetched. Don't have an idea what else can you do...

mrintech

I faced similar 404 issues when I uninstalled Pretty URLs mod and reverted back to default SMF URL Structure

You can STOP SE Bots crawling these non-existent URLs by using a robots.txt file. Enter following lines in your robots.txt:

QuoteUser-agent: *
Disallow: /environment-and-gardening/
Disallow: /preventions-and-cure/
Disallow: /weight-loss-exrecise/

The above lines will also instruct SE bots to drop all non-existent URLs from Search Index too. This may take upto 1 month!

Also, as Dzonny said submit an XML sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools. You can use this mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3393

Other hard way is to 301 redirect all old URLs to current URLs - This will take whole lot of time depending on the total number of boards/topics in your forum

Maybe someone knows a magical .htaccess code ;)

:)

johnpaul2k2

now that i have submitted my xml sitemap to SE, do i still need to add robots.txt or should i go for FETCH??
or leave the rest to google???

mrintech

Quote from: johnpaul2k2 on December 07, 2012, 11:09:27 AM
now that i have submitted my xml sitemap to SE, do i still need to add robots.txt or should i go for FETCH??
or leave the rest to google???

You need to configure the robots.txt also, else Google bots will keep on looking for / hitting all these non-existent URLs in months to come :)

mrintech

Yeah! That's correct :)

You just forgot to add a trailing slash for: Disallow: ict-world/ . It should be: Disallow: /ict-world/ ;)

johnpaul2k2

i have done that but i still have one thing confusing me.
initially i was using topnichez.com (without www), now i have also added www.topnichez.com  and also set it as PREFERRED DOMAIN.  now most of these errors are coming from the topnichez.com.
do i still need to go to google webmaster and add the robot.txt there since majority of the error from NON WWW?
yesterday the errors was 1037 but now 1077 and most of the errors are Naked domain (topnichez.com)
if so , where will i add it??

Kindred

if you changed from no www to adding a www, you should add a 301 redirect to your htaccess file.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

johnpaul2k2

Quote from: Kindred on December 08, 2012, 08:55:44 AM
if you changed from no www to adding a www, you should add a 301 redirect to your htaccess file.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]

this is what i was given from here     http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=478482.20
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yoursite.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ "http\:\/\/www\.yoursite\.com\/$1" [R=301,L]
and i think everything is fine in that aspect. i am only concern on the errors thing
Kindred you have been of a great help to me and others. God bless you boss

mrintech

You need to wait for atleast 1 month. Those errors will disappear from GWT soon ;)

johnpaul2k2

This is the message i saw just now

though the errors has increased to 1174

thanks again

Kindred

well - do those urls work for you?

they seem to work for me....

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mrintech

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=181708

The error is because of NON-WWW to WWW redirection

I think they will go away soon as redirection is in place and you are using rel="canonical" with WWW in it, but it's better to ask on Google Webmaster Forums too :)

Kindred

ah - it sounds like your 301 is not fully working
Слaва
Украинi

mrintech

Google BOT thinks all boards without WWW doesn't exist on the site and should return 404 response code

But, instead they are returning 200 Success Code because of redirection to URLs with WWW

???

AFAIK, these soft 404 errors will go away soon, as he's also using rel="canonical" which contains URL with WWW

:)

johnpaul2k2

sorry my masters for bringing back this topic again. i have another set of errors

when i opened one of the messages . this is what i saw

this time it is no longer "pretty url" but my main url and also the pages are opening...only having problem with my server. could this be the problem from my server?? because this is exactly one month since i moved to a new hosting compnay

mrintech

The URL structure with error is: topnichez.com/index.php?board=5.105 , while your current URL structure is: topnichez.com/index.php/board,5.105.html

What you did for achieving this current URL structure?

Kindred

he turned on SEF URLs in SMF admin...   which, again, is not needed (and mostly not desired)
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: