Mods Will Not Install

Started by Jeremy M., December 07, 2012, 07:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy M.

I've been having this problem all freakin day.  NO mods will install at all. I click on "install" and after a minute or so, the page times out.

Jeremy M.

I'm tryin to clear out my Error Log, but i can't. Everytime i tick "all" then click remove, it will delete those, then add more. Everytime i click the "refresh" button, it adds thousands to the list, and i haven't even done anything.

mashby

Hmm...what is the most recent error? Mods installed? I know you have another topic that indicates you cannot install mods, but I'd venture a guess you have some installed, yeah?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 07:44:18 PM
Hmm...what is the most recent error? Mods installed? I know you have another topic that indicates you cannot install mods, but I'd venture a guess you have some installed, yeah?

Yep, i have some installed. . . The error log keeps changing. So, i'm not sure what the deal is. I have quite a few mods installed

http://www.free-information-help.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=uninstall2;package=advance_fb_like_with_og-0.2.zip;pid=8
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
2: feof() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File:
Line: 2816

mashby

OK, which mods though? When did this start happening?
- James M. Barrie

Colin

Did this just start happening today or has this been an ongoing issue?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Colin on December 07, 2012, 07:55:46 PM
Did this just start happening today or has this been an ongoing issue?

Just started today, about 5 hours ago. I was at work. I thought it was just their server or computer, so i tried it when i got home, and it still doesn't work. The rest of my forum works perfect.

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 07:51:28 PM
OK, which mods though? When did this start happening?

Whatever the problem was, it's fixed. I clicked "Remove All" and it did just that. I clicked refresh page, and nothing came back.

mashby

OK. Interesting. If you think this is solved, there's a nice green link down below. :)
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 08:05:30 PM
OK. Interesting. If you think this is solved, there's a nice green link down below. :)

I don't think it's solved. . . . I went and tried to install a mod, and it put back over 200,000 errors back in the Error Log. . . I cleared them again, and now i have 0. . . I sure hope my forum isn't F'ed.

mashby

I wasn't convinced it was either. 200000...is that an exaggeration? How about listing the mods that are actually installed?
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 08:07:16 PM
I wasn't convinced it was either. 200000...is that an exaggeration? How about listing the mods that are actually installed?

1.    Stop Spammer    2.3.9    
2.    Bad Behavior mod    1.5.11    
3.    httpBL    2.5.1    
4.    SA Affiliates    3.3.5.6    
5.    Move recent to the top    2.7    
6.    JW Player    1.2    
7.    SimplePortal    2.3.5    
8.    Adk Personal Icon forums    1.0    
9.    Advance Facebook Like with OpenGraph    0.2    
10.    YouTube BBCode    2.6    
11.    [BBCode] Blink    1.0    
12.    Enhanced PM Popup    1.0.1    
13.    Ban List    2.0    
14.    Add Social Media Icons To Profiles    1.0.6    
15.    Default Sort for Boards    0.2    
16.    SimpleColorizer    1.1

Jeremy M.

I'm about to give up. Every freakin thing works on my forum except for "Installing/Uninstalling Mods". When i click Install/Uninstall the request times out.

mashby

Do you really have 200000 after clearing it to 0 though? Too early to give up. Is the error the same one repeated over again?
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 08:41:30 PM
Do you really have 200000 after clearing it to 0 though? Too early to give up. Is the error the same one repeated over again?

After i get them all cleared, it stays at "0". . Even after i click refresh. . They only come back after i try to install any kind of mod, or uninstall any mod. . . I can't install OR uninstall any mods. I'm not sure if any of my "Anti-Spam" mods are causing this or what. I can't check and see cuz i can't uinstall them to find out.

Colin

Anything interesting in the error log? Any mods or edits happen between that time? It might be worth giving your host a ring and seeing if they made any configuration changes.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Colin on December 07, 2012, 09:15:49 PM
Anything interesting in the error log? Any mods or edits happen between that time? It might be worth giving your host a ring and seeing if they made any configuration changes.

I sent message to my host to see if they are doing anything over there. Should receive a reply within the hour or so. They are usually really quick to get back to me since i'm a paying customer. I highly doubt they are doing anything, cuz everything else works.

mashby

Is this what shows up? And it doesn't show up 200000 times, right?
http://www.free-information-help.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=uninstall2;package=advance_fb_like_with_og-0.2.zip;pid=8
File:
Which file is listed?
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 09:23:55 PM
Is this what shows up? And it doesn't show up 200000 times, right?
File:
Which file is listed?

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
http://www.free-information-help.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=SMFPacks_Shoutbox_104.zip;pid=0
File: /home/freei828/public_html/Sources/Subs-Package.php

Sir Osis of Liver

Try replacing /Sources/Subs-Package.php with a clean copy (attached).

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mashby

I'm thinking a merge is in order? Seems these topics are related and all. :)
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=492138.0
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Krash. on December 07, 2012, 09:36:02 PM

Try replacing /Sources/Subs-Package.php with a clean copy (attached).

Nope, no luck. Still does the same thing.

Jeremy M.

mashby

Curious about the error. Wondering if you could connect to FTP, go to /Packages/
What is the file size of SMFPacks_Shoutbox_104.zip (assuming it's in there)?
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 09:58:13 PM
Curious about the error. Wondering if you could connect to FTP, go to /Packages/
What is the file size of SMFPacks_Shoutbox_104.zip (assuming it's in there)?

54,434 . .

Jeremy M.

Is there a default SMF limit for mods?  I mean, am i only allowed to upload so many kb of mods?

Sir Osis of Liver

2816 starts a loop -

while (!feof($fp))
$fwrite($output, fread($fp, 16384));
fclose($fp);

If the loop gets hung, it can generate a lot of errors very quickly.

Maybe something wrong with the package zip?

- R. Waters

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Krash. on December 07, 2012, 10:05:39 PM

2816 starts a loop -

while (!feof($fp))
$fwrite($output, fread($fp, 16384));
fclose($fp);

If the loop gets hung, it can generate a lot of errors very quickly.

Maybe something wrong with the package zip?

I've deleted the theme and reinstalled it, and i've deleted the mod and TRIED to reinstall it. . .

mashby

Nah. Not really a limit there. I was just wondering about the Boolean part. Thought it could have been an empty file which is isn't.
- James M. Barrie

Sir Osis of Liver

Not a theme problem.  Try it in default Curve, you'll probably have the same glitch.  Delete the mod zip file, download a clean copy, and try installing it. 

It appears that feof is not finding end of file, so it gets stuck in an infinite loop until it times out.  The zip file may be corrupt.

- R. Waters

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Krash. on December 07, 2012, 10:14:28 PM

Not a theme problem.  Try it in default Curve, you'll probably have the same glitch.  Delete the mod zip file, download a clean copy, and try installing it. 

It appears that feof is not finding end of file, so it gets stuck in an infinite loop until it times out.  The zip file may be corrupt.

Whatever "feof" is, it's not finding any of the mods. Downloading a clean copy doesn't work either.

Sir Osis of Liver

So if you try to install or uninstall any mod, the package manager hangs and times out, and you get thousands of errors in the log?

- R. Waters

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Krash. on December 07, 2012, 10:27:20 PM

So if you try to install or uninstall any mod, the package manager hangs and times out, and you get thousands of errors in the log?

Yep. That's exactly 100% correct. . . . If i could reset my entire website, without losing my database, i probably would consider that.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can delete the entire forum and reinstall from scratch without affecting the database, but it's a good idea to backup the db with phpmyadmin before you do anything.  Save a copy of Settings.php (in your forum root) - it contains the db settings.  You'll have to reinstall mods and themes, and redo any custom edits you've done.

- R. Waters

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Krash. on December 07, 2012, 10:36:02 PM

You can delete the entire forum and reinstall from scratch without affecting the database, but it's a good idea to backup the db with phpmyadmin before you do anything.  Save a copy of Settings.php (in your forum root) - it contains the db settings.  You'll have to reinstall mods and themes, and redo any custom edits you've done.

I really don't use the Package Manager much. I think i have all the mods that i really want, except for the shoutbox. I would like to have that. It's not a big deal. I'm wondering if i wait a day or so, maybe the problem will fix itself, since it seemed to come up by itself.

Jeremy M.

Now i'm getting the following errors:

http://www.free-information-help.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=perms;e6675eb9ad1=8c6677eac26c402c3a650e6810c72e6d
2: is_dir() [<a href='function.is-dir'>function.is-dir</a>]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/freei828/public_html/..) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/freei828/public_html:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp)
File: /home/freei828/public_html/Sources/Packages.php
Line: 1877

http://www.free-information-help.com/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=SMFPacks_Shoutbox_104.zip;pid=0

2: fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Line: 2817

Sir Osis of Liver

Try replacing /Sources/Packages.php and PackageGet.php.

- R. Waters

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Krash. on December 07, 2012, 10:50:35 PM

Try replacing /Sources/Packages.php and PackageGet.php.

no luck on that one either.  This is getting extremely irritating. I worked extremely hard on this forum to get it where it is. Now, there's a bug of some sort that i can't seem to fix.

mashby

Of the mods you have installed, it's apparent they haven't affected any of the files you've replaced so far. Your package manager is trying to use the /tmp directory within /Packages. Does such a directory exist, and if so, what is it chmodded to?
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 10:57:10 PM
Of the mods you have installed, it's apparent they haven't affected any of the files you've replaced so far. Your package manager is trying to use the /tmp directory within /Packages. Does such a directory exist, and if so, what is it chmodded to?

Yes, there is a "temp" directory, and it's 0755

Jeremy M.

WOW!  i changed the temp folder chmodd from 755 to 777 and it WORKED!  Why in the heck was it changed to begin with?

Colin

Very strange, I have no idea. I am glad you got it sorted out though.

Colin

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Colin on December 07, 2012, 11:16:21 PM
Very strange, I have no idea. I am glad you got it sorted out though.

Yeah me too. I guess if it starts in again, i'll know where to go and check.  I sure did not want to delete my entire forum and start over. I almost would have rather forgot about the Package Manager all together. . . . . THANKS everyone for all of your help. It was greatly appreciated.

mashby

- James M. Barrie

Sir Osis of Liver

That is way wierd. 

Think you owe Mashby a beer.

- R. Waters

mashby

Nah, I've had enough already. ;)
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

I spoke too soon. . It's back to "not working" again.

mashby

Luckily, I'm not out of beer. Can you let us know this series?
1. You chmodded something to 777 and declared success. What was successful about that?
2. The world celebrated. I have a garage fridge.
3. It's back to "not working" again. I think I understand the "not working" part, but what is the "it" part? Did you try to install another mod?
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 11:31:52 PM
Luckily, I'm not out of beer. Can you let us know this series?
1. You chmodded something to 777 and declared success. What was successful about that?
2. The world celebrated. I have a garage fridge.
3. It's back to "not working" again. I think I understand the "not working" part, but what is the "it" part? Did you try to install another mod?

i chmodded the "Packages/temp folder to 777". I was able to install the Shoutbox mod successfully. It's installed and working on my forum. I wanted to uninstall it to see if it would uninstall ok, but it won't. Now, none of it won't work again.

Colin

Look inside of your temp folder. Any files in there?

Colin

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Colin on December 07, 2012, 11:38:00 PM
Look inside of your temp folder. Any files in there?

Yep. . . quite a few. . List is below

ActivityBar
ActivityBar.php
ActivityBar.xml
install.php
Languages.xml
LanguagesUTF8.xml
License
package-info.xml
readme.txt
remove.php

Colin

Yep, they are getting stuck in there. Delete all of those files.

Colin

Jeremy M.

I went to Package Manager>File Permissions and selected "Standard - key files writable", and submitted it. It fixed whatever was wrong with it. I installed a mod, and uninstalled a mod, and it worked. .. . I logged back in via FTP, and went to check the "temp" folder, and it's not even there anymore. . . . . I hope what i just did didn't screw up anything.

Colin

Alright! Let's hope that sticks.

Colin

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Colin on December 07, 2012, 11:49:00 PM
Alright! Let's how that sticks.

Do you think what i did is ok? I mean, i have heard not mess with the permissions unless needed. Everything seems to still be working ok. I'll be back if it screws up again

Colin

Mate, if it works it works :). If it screws something up put it back, but it can't hurt anything.

Colin

Sir Osis of Liver

IIRC, the temp folder is deleted by the package manager when an install/uninstall is completed.  It's only a problem if it's still there when you're done.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: