News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mods Will Not Install

Started by Jeremy M., December 07, 2012, 07:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy M.

WOW!  i changed the temp folder chmodd from 755 to 777 and it WORKED!  Why in the heck was it changed to begin with?

Colin

Very strange, I have no idea. I am glad you got it sorted out though.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Colin on December 07, 2012, 11:16:21 PM
Very strange, I have no idea. I am glad you got it sorted out though.

Yeah me too. I guess if it starts in again, i'll know where to go and check.  I sure did not want to delete my entire forum and start over. I almost would have rather forgot about the Package Manager all together. . . . . THANKS everyone for all of your help. It was greatly appreciated.

mashby

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Sir Osis of Liver

That is way wierd. 

Think you owe Mashby a beer.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mashby

Nah, I've had enough already. ;)
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

I spoke too soon. . It's back to "not working" again.

mashby

Luckily, I'm not out of beer. Can you let us know this series?
1. You chmodded something to 777 and declared success. What was successful about that?
2. The world celebrated. I have a garage fridge.
3. It's back to "not working" again. I think I understand the "not working" part, but what is the "it" part? Did you try to install another mod?
- James M. Barrie

Jeremy M.

Quote from: mashby on December 07, 2012, 11:31:52 PM
Luckily, I'm not out of beer. Can you let us know this series?
1. You chmodded something to 777 and declared success. What was successful about that?
2. The world celebrated. I have a garage fridge.
3. It's back to "not working" again. I think I understand the "not working" part, but what is the "it" part? Did you try to install another mod?

i chmodded the "Packages/temp folder to 777". I was able to install the Shoutbox mod successfully. It's installed and working on my forum. I wanted to uninstall it to see if it would uninstall ok, but it won't. Now, none of it won't work again.

Colin

Look inside of your temp folder. Any files in there?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Colin on December 07, 2012, 11:38:00 PM
Look inside of your temp folder. Any files in there?

Yep. . . quite a few. . List is below

ActivityBar
ActivityBar.php
ActivityBar.xml
install.php
Languages.xml
LanguagesUTF8.xml
License
package-info.xml
readme.txt
remove.php

Colin

Yep, they are getting stuck in there. Delete all of those files.

Colin

Jeremy M.

I went to Package Manager>File Permissions and selected "Standard - key files writable", and submitted it. It fixed whatever was wrong with it. I installed a mod, and uninstalled a mod, and it worked. .. . I logged back in via FTP, and went to check the "temp" folder, and it's not even there anymore. . . . . I hope what i just did didn't screw up anything.

Colin

Alright! Let's hope that sticks.

Colin

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Colin on December 07, 2012, 11:49:00 PM
Alright! Let's how that sticks.

Do you think what i did is ok? I mean, i have heard not mess with the permissions unless needed. Everything seems to still be working ok. I'll be back if it screws up again

Colin

Mate, if it works it works :). If it screws something up put it back, but it can't hurt anything.

Colin

Sir Osis of Liver

IIRC, the temp folder is deleted by the package manager when an install/uninstall is completed.  It's only a problem if it's still there when you're done.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: